User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
What makes you change your bike?

Is it boredom? Just want something new? Your bike's mission has changed?
I just came back from the Chicago Bike show. I have a Diavel which I love. i found myself lusting after the BMW RT and the K1600GT. I'd love to have both the Diavel and one of those machines, but finances, garage space and marital harmony preclude this. Perhaps I'm looking for something different in the what I want from a bike. I love the Diavel for day trips, but I'm getting much more intrigued with touring.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I am more interested in talking more about your Diavel. You should tour on it.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,274
Heck, each time I've bought a new bike it was pretty much in the name of weight savings.

K100RS (30k miles)
ZX11 (11k)
R1100RSL (50k)
R1200GS (48k)
Ducati Monster (10.5k) & WR250R (mileage too embarassingly low to mention)

I'm down to around 400# wet on the Monster and it's just fantastic. The bike's down on HP but makes up for it with outstanding handling. The riding position is plenty good for 500 mile days around town and I cleared 1,045 miles in 18 hours with no real discomfort (added a seat pad, that's it). Track days are plenty of fun...

Fuel range is a bit limited (140 mile range or so) but a couple of MSR fuel bottles help in a pinch.

I expect to have the Monster for a very, very long time. It's just such an incredibly well balanced bike for me for doing anything I want this side of dirt roads. Fuel aside, I wouldn't hesitate to run the Haul Road on it.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Is it boredom? Just want something new? Your bike's mission has changed?
I love the Diavel for day trips, but I'm getting much more intrigued with touring.
David

Many people in the western world are fixated on what they own rather than what they
experience. I say this not as a criticism but only as an observation.

Interestingly, much research has shown that owning stuff doesn't lead to happiness
or feelings of contentment. Experiences we find fulfilling, and meaningful connections to
other humans are the two most consistent sources of true happiness.

We're constantly bombarded with messages about new stuff we need to buy or how we
need to look, etc. It is all a scam designed to make a few people wealthy.

You don't need a BMW to go touring. All you need is time and enough cash to
keep your show on the road.

For a bit of proof that a tour can be done on a bike which might not
seem ideally suited to it, search ADVrider for the ride report written by
AntiHero. He rode around the US on a Ducati Panigale. Your Diavel
is the height of luxury in comparison.

Get on that Diavel and ride.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 10:34 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 688
Couldn't fully exploit the Daytona 675's potential on the street and I have no funds to be a track whore. So I became a hipster with my W650.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
Heck, each time I've bought a new bike it was pretty much in the name of weight savings.

K100RS (30k miles)
ZX11 (11k)
R1100RSL (50k)
R1200GS (48k)
Ducati Monster (10.5k) & WR250R (mileage too embarassingly low to mention)

I'm down to around 400# wet on the Monster and it's just fantastic. The bike's down on HP but makes up for it with outstanding handling. The riding position is plenty good for 500 mile days around town and I cleared 1,045 miles in 18 hours with no real discomfort (added a seat pad, that's it). Track days are plenty of fun...

Fuel range is a bit limited (140 mile range or so) but a couple of MSR fuel bottles help in a pinch.

I expect to have the Monster for a very, very long time. It's just such an incredibly well balanced bike for me for doing anything I want this side of dirt roads. Fuel aside, I wouldn't hesitate to run the Haul Road on it.
Which size Monster you got?

I've thought about getting one but then again there are probably about a dozen bikes I've thought of getting.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Which size Monster you got?

I've thought about getting one but then again there are probably about a dozen bikes I've thought of getting.
1100 EVO.

Mainly because it had ABS and traction control and the other Monsters didn't.

The new HyperStrada has a very, very real attraction. 18k valve majors is a big deal...

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 328
I was in the military for 23 years (and still working for them as a contractor), and only once did I ship a motorcycle from one assignment to another. I'd sell my current ride(s) and buy a different one at the next opportunity.

However, at one time I got rid of a bike because it lacked cornering clearance.

Now that my life has stabilized a bit more, I change bikes primarily due to changes in what I need the bike to do. My soon-to-be wife rides with me often enough these days that I went from a touring cruiser (Harley Superglide Sport) to a full touring barge (Ultra Classic Electra-Glide). I've been wanting to ride some of the dirt roads here and looking for a V-strom or similar to fill that role.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post

Yes, I followed that thread with great interest. It was great writing.
Unfortunately, for touring , I want a bike with better range and storage space.
The Diavel is really comfortable. Well, except for the seat, which I'm working on.
It's tremendously agile, since it's so light. OTOH, because of it's lightness, it's not at it's best in slabs,
since it gets blown around by wind and by trucks.
I would love to have both. But in the real world, you can't have it all. If I had to have one, I will stick with the Ducati. But I can see where the temptation to change bikes can get very strong.
It was that sense of temptation that I was asking everybody about.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,669
Whim.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
branchen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
In the past I changed my bikes because I totalled them .

Now I would like to change because my requirements changed (I want more weather protection, basically)
https://plus.google.com/photos/10207...42729174810433
branchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Yes, I followed that thread with great interest. It was great writing.
Unfortunately, for touring , I want a bike with better range and storage space.
The Diavel is really comfortable. Well, except for the seat, which I'm working on.
It's tremendously agile, since it's so light. OTOH, because of it's lightness, it's not at it's best in slabs,
since it gets blown around by wind and by trucks.
I would love to have both. But in the real world, you can't have it all. If I had to have one, I will stick with the Ducati. But I can see where the temptation to change bikes can get very strong.
It was that sense of temptation that I was asking everybody about.

David
4 bikes is the bare minimum,otherwise Id be selling and swapping bikes out regularly to have a bike for certain occasions. I gradually figured this out and its cheaper maybe to just have 4 of the things.
Perfect singletrack bike-200KTM.
Great dual purpose dirt bike-530KTM.
All around scoot-DR650
Sport/Touring-1200 Triumph.

All 4 of these together may not have cost what 1 Diavel costs to procure,none were bought brand new,but still fresh.
They all get ridden at various times of the year,and really............how can one do with less?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
At my house the mouse trap has to be way better than the one I have. I usually research to death prior to purchase. It takes a while to get them the way I want.
I don't move off them easily. I rarely will ride or drive a damaged vehicle!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Many people in the western world are fixated on what they own rather than what they
experience. I say this not as a criticism but only as an observation.

Interestingly, much research has shown that owning stuff doesn't lead to happiness
or feelings of contentment. Experiences we find fulfilling, and meaningful connections to
other humans are the two most consistent sources of true happiness.

We're constantly bombarded with messages about new stuff we need to buy or how we
need to look, etc. It is all a scam designed to make a few people wealthy.

You don't need a BMW to go touring. All you need is time and enough cash to
keep your show on the road.

Get on that Diavel and ride.

Well said. You are a wise man. You probably will not fit in here.

Why do I change bikes?

I got rid of the Concours because it had over 100,000 miles on it, it had been in my garage for 8 years, and it was just time to move on. I wanted something smaller and lighter and cooler, so I bought an FZ6 that had been languishing on the showroom floor for over a year.

I was surprised by the FZ6. It could do everything I wanted it to do, and then some. But one day I wandered into the BMW showroom, and they had an R1100RL with low miles and a price I liked. The wife said I should get it, but it would mean the end of the FZ6. I always wanted a BMw, so I bought it and sold the FZ6.

The BMW and I just didn't gell real well. Actually I am not sure if it was me, or the bike, or both. I had some things going on in my life I was not real happy about at the time, One day I just decided I didn't want the BMW, so I traded it for a new 2009 Suzuki DL1000.

The DL pushed all the right buttons for me. That is probably my favorite bike that I have ever owned (20 + bikes). When I bought it, I also bought a mtce contract and a 3 year warranty. 18 Months later the bike has 25000 and the clutch is shot. Suzuki calls it "routine maintenance". Svc Mgr says it's going to cost me $600 plus. I figured he was low, so I traded it for a used ST1300.

I loved the ST1300. I had it three months, and totaled it.

Once I was back on my feet, I bought an FJR. I wanted something like the ST1300 but with a bit less weight and less heat. Mrs B hated the FJR. She said it was the most uncomfortable bike I have ever owned, and she refused to ride it. This resulted in a bit of marital disharmony, because she didn't like being left behind.

I put the FJR up for sale, and after getting to know a few scammers, I traded it for the 2008 Nomad I have now. Mrs. B likes the Nomad. Very comfy. I am not really a cruiser guy, but I am trying. I will probably keep it a long time. I would like to add a second bike to the garage, something smaller and lighter and easier to ride. If Mrs. B would let me, I would probably bring home an NC700X.

So there ya have it, a different reason for each bike...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,066
Usually I have changed bikes because my riding interests changed. When I was doing track days I had sport bikes(Hayabusa, GSXR-1000, RC51), but now I am returning to my youth and back riding mostly dual sport on my KTM 690. I love that bike because the experience of riding it is so great! I also have a KTM 990 Supermoto R which I like to think of as my token street bike. Future bikes could be an adventure bike, but they are too heavy for off road, or a more dirt oriented bike like the KTM 500 EXC, but more maintenance and not as good on pavement. Or this http://www.fxbikes.com . But for now the two Katooms fit the bill quite well! I rode a Diavel and was really impressed with the motor on that thing, but even with the tall seat it was too low and uncomfortable for me, and the handling was not very good, and I dragged the pegs too easy.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote