Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
You probably will not fit in here.

I don't fit in anywhere. I quit even trying to fit in a few decades ago,
and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The idea is to make yourself
happy, not to worry about making others happy. Their happiness is THEIR
job.

Someone had to at least mention that it's the ride that matters. Better to ride to
Ushuaia on a beat up KLR than sit looking at a KTM 450 Rally Replica which never
leaves your garage.

By the way I like your choice of ID. That song ( "Call Me The Breeze" ) and "Simple Man"
were the two best songs Lynyrd Skynrd ever did. A buddy of mine managed that band in
the time before the plane crash. Ok, I'll STFU now.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 11:23 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
It was that sense of temptation that I was asking everybody about.
David

I understand.

Perhaps if you are thinking about buying a different bike it's a sign
you are in some way dissatisfied with the bike you have. So based on that
maybe for you it IS time for a different bike. Or, it could be time for a different
wife so you can own as many bikes as you like ( I am joking here, and I
suspect it's a joke all married guys will "get" ).

I have a different "problem" - I like the ( three ) bikes I have so much I have quit
looking at other bikes. I mean, I do still look at other bikes but my reaction
has consistently been "I sure do like what I already have better than that one".
This is not to say that other bikes are not also good bikes but I simply prefer the
bikes I have.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 11:22 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I started riding five years ago and am on my fifth bike now. I keep each one for one or 1.5 years then switch. Generally I switch because I'm looking for something better than my previous ride, as well as a desire to experience something different.

Started on a Ninja 650, later switched to a FJR1300 for its superior wind protection, speed, and smoothness. Then switched it out for a naked FZ1 because I wanted to see what having a naked bike was like and was tired of the limited ground reach on the FJR. The FZ1 was great on twisties but wearying on the highway or in cold weather. Switched it for a K1600GT (with a low seat) which again had awesome wind protection but I could flat-foot it and it had superior speed and handling to the FJR. Then two weeks ago I switched to BMW's C650GT scooter, which handles like the FZ1 but with wind protection like the K1600 (possibly a bit better actually) and is much more comfortable than anything previous.

All of my bikes were good and I don't regret buying any of them, but it's fun to swap them for better or different ones. If I wanted a naked bike again, the Diavel would be very tempting.
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

Oddometer: 1,135
I've had four bikes in the last five years. My issue is overall comfort. Although my last bike, the Rocket III, was just a love at first sight. Gotta have it. $18k ? Sure, I'll borrow that much. I had a great love / hate relationship with that bike. 44000 miles in a bit over two years.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,327
A lot of different things make me change bikes. Curiosity is probably at the top of the list. I'll often buy a bike because I've never owned one of that particular make, style, size, or whatever. I like trying different machines for awhile just to see what they're like to own. And if you can buy at the right price, it usually costs little or nothing beyond the normal maintenance you'd be doing on any bike you owned.

The last one I bought however, I bought to fill a need. I've gotten old enough that I could no longer ride my Moto Guzzi Norge comfortably for several consecutive 500 mile days. I loved the bike otherwise, but couldn't take the pain in my shoulders any longer and it is very difficult to change the ergonomics on that bike to what I needed. I like to enjoy my touring and not suffer through it, so I sold the Norge and bought the Electra Glide to replace it. I've owned Harleys off and on for 50 years, so I knew it wouldn't be difficult to make it fit. I have the new bars it needs and I'm just waiting for the cables and wiring extensions to show up so I can install them and it will be good to go. It won't be near as much fun in the twisties as the Guzzi, but the older I get, the more I require comfort when covering lots of miles.

The bad part is that the new Trophy is tempting the hell out of me and I haven't even put 2k miles on the Electra Glide yet! There are just too many interesting bikes and too little time.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
I'm fairly resistant the the newest and shiny-est. But winter wears me out. I get bored, read articles and look at pictures. Abunch of the vehicles I've owned (2 and 4 wheeled) have been purchased between the end of January and the first of March.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #22
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
I pretty much don't. It has to be an outside force or a *great* temptation. I was happy for several years on weird old vintage scooters, most of which I still own; it was the repeal of the national 55mph speed limit that made me change, as I couldn't keep up on the highway anymore on them. (Note: I think that speed limit repeal was unequivocally a good thing for the country, and I'm not complaining about it. That's just what happened.)

I've been riding my Ducati Monster for almost 20 years, and see no reason to change it. It continues to work great, run well, fit me perfectly, and do everything I want a bike to do. I've testridden almost 50 bikes in the last few years, for fun and to keep current on the tech, and while a lot of these bikes have been better than the old Monster in many aspects, nothing I have ridden has been *enough* better to justify the cost of the upgrade to me. Eventually that could happen. The closest so far has been the Ducati HyperMotard 1100. If my Monster was somehow rendered inoperative or unavailable to me longterm, that's what I would replace it with.

The biggest risks to my Monster that I can see would be if BMW built a naked K1600R (which is very unlikely), or maybe if MOTUS built a naked bike and it turned out to be a fantastic ride. Other than that, I'll probably ride my Monster 'til one of us is dead.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (234,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)

PhilB screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 12:35 PM
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Many people in the western world are fixated on what they own rather than what they
experience. I say this not as a criticism but only as an observation.

Interestingly, much research has shown that owning stuff doesn't lead to happiness
or feelings of contentment. Experiences we find fulfilling, and meaningful connections to
other humans are the two most consistent sources of true happiness.

We're constantly bombarded with messages about new stuff we need to buy or how we
need to look, etc. It is all a scam designed to make a few people wealthy.

You don't need a BMW to go touring. All you need is time and enough cash to
keep your show on the road.

For a bit of proof that a tour can be done on a bike which might not
seem ideally suited to it, search ADVrider for the ride report written by
AntiHero. He rode around the US on a Ducati Panigale. Your Diavel
is the height of luxury in comparison.

Get on that Diavel and ride.

Get out of my head! If I needed a conscience I................. wait.................I give up, you're right.
My XR is all I ever needed.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #24
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,637
Usually I change cars or bikes when a mechanic hands me a pistol to put it out of it's misery.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #25
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
...I've testridden almost 50 bikes in the last few years, for fun and to keep current on the tech, and while a lot of these bikes have been better than the old Monster in many aspects, nothing I have ridden has been *enough* better to justify the cost of the upgrade to me. Eventually that could happen...
PhilB
This. I have farkled my Gen1 FZ1 just the way I want it and everything is super comfortable now. Aside from not wanting to do all that farkling again (and a matching desire to ride more, farkle less) I haven't ridden anything that has been better for me.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

I've been riding my Ducati Monster for almost 20 years, and see no reason to change it. It continues to work great, run well, fit me perfectly, and do everything I want a bike to do.

PhilB
I've been riding my Monster for about 9 months now. I plan to keep it for a loong time. Just like PhilB, I find it to be the bike that fits me really well. It's the best bike for my needs: for commuting, spirited ride on weekends and long distance ride.

However ... there's always a "however" ... I'm really lusting for a Triumph Tiger 800 ... or a Street Tripple R ...Either one will be a great addition to my stable. I think I need two bikes : a Monster for my normal daily ride and T800 for other riding condition and long distance ride. The Street tripple won't fit this, but I still want it

So I don't think I want to change bike in the near future, but I want to have another bike for those ride that, maybe, my Monster won't do well. Frankly speaking, I always worry when I ride my monster in rain. Not worry about the rain or the wet road condition, but I'm worry that those water will short circuit the electrics on my bike. I applied dielectric grease on them, but still....

BobPS screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 08:02 PM
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer View Post
The Diavel would be very tempting.
Too bad we couldn't have swapped.
I made the mistake of going to the BMW dealer today. He made a very tempting trade-in offer on the Diavel
Oh boy, here I go again!!

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #28
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Too bad we couldn't have swapped.
I made the mistake of going to the BMW dealer today. He made a very tempting trade-in offer on the Diavel
Oh boy, here I go again!!

David
So... what are you waiting for? Go for it
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #29
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I've had about 42 or 43 bikes in my 40 years of riding, I started when I was about 10.

It's probably something that 20 years of therapy and some psychotropic drugs could fix, if I wanted it fixed.

Why do I get another bike? I used to have to have the latest and greatest, fastest, newest, whateverest, you guys know what I mean. Then that started fading, maybe I've gotten some insight into my own mortality, maybe the speed is getting boring, I'm not really sure. Right at the moment, I've got a Ducati S4 916. Been a real good bike. I've had it over 5 years, longer than any other bike I've ever had, and it's been nearly dead nuts reliable. But it's for sale, and it'll probably be gone in a week or two, been a lot of interest. We'll see. I've also got a KTM 950SM, which is a real blast to ride also. Sort of the same as the Duc, but a lot cushier, and more confidence inspiring, especially when things start sliding around. Both bike are not the fastest thing out there, but 100hp is plenty fun 99.9% of the time. What's next? I'm not sure, I'm pretty obsessive/compulsive. Last week I bought an old XR75 Honda, and I've been blasting around the neighborhood on it. I'm checking out big bore and stroker kits for it, I'm upgrading the forks and brakes, just having a blast messing with it.

But I'm always looking for something else. Always. Not that there is anything wrong with my bikes right now, I just like having something different all the time.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #30
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Why? The reasons are shallower than you think.

Itsnotthebike's post comes closest to the truth. I'm sure the real reason why I just ordered a new Honda cb1100 when I have a perfectly good '06 Ducati S2R Monster is because of pure, unadulterated vanity.

I feel much better now.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote