User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
rdltmc3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
honda cb919

I've been in the market for a new(ish) bike that i can use as an everyday commuter and have been researching a few bikes and the cb919 is looking to be a top position in looks and reviews. Now i haven't ridden one of these for about 5 years ago so not to many memories on my 5 mile test ride.

a concern i have is every time i look it up there is always 1 or 2 reviews that compare this bike to a 600cc (not a review on the 599 hornet)

my last newer bike was an 2008 triumph street triple 675cc triple, now this bike was amazing off the line and looks to stun but did little high end and was ultimately the reason for getting rid of it since it wasn't turning out to be my everyday bike. does this bike compare more to the street triple 675 or the speed triple 1050?

Bikes Ive owned
suzuki gs650
ninja ex500
honda cbr600f41
triumph street triple
gl1000

bikes ive ridden (some shortly)
883 sportster
1200 sportster
97 lowrider
speed triple
gsxr 600
vulcan 1700
bmw k100
honda vfr800
suzuki gs500
triumph sprint 1050
triumph bonnieville
kz750
cb750

which of these bikes most compare to the cb919? I will be using this bike almost everyday that isnt raining or snowing, most rides 1 and under but options to take long trips need to be there along with the ability to take the wife. (getting a new seat is not a problem since its the first thing i always replace.)

I know a lot of you will say just go out and ride one again, that's proving to be difficult. Finding one is starting to get scarce and when i do find one its gone by the time i free up and make it out. (also i have a personal issue with yamaha so dont suggest them.)
rdltmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,700
I went from a 750 Nighthawk to a 919, no comparison, the 9er is an awesome do it all bike. I've had many 500+ mile days on mine, twisties, highway, 45-48 mpg, a fantastic bike that I regret selling to this day...
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Smitty908
Potentate of Speed

Oddometer: 12
Thumb

I will add another vote for the 919...

The one it most compares to in your list would be the street triple.

It is faster than most 600 sportbikes, but not quite as 'nasty' as the Speed Triple.

I love mine, and the ergos allow for extended riding, but it will power wheelie with no problem, and has plenty of power to get you in trouble.

Parts and accesories are readily available, and the motor is bulletproof.

Smitty908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I have an 07 919 and could not be happier with it. Relatively light, nimble, great midrange and still plenty of power on top. I have an affinity for sport bikes with upright ergonomics and a wide powerband for all around use. I`d recommend it highly.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,845
I bought a 919 on a whim, a friend was selling at a good price and I was looking for a decent around town kinda fun kinda motorcycle looking motorcycle.
I had a 26 mile a day a couple of times a week all surface streets.
The bike came loaded with bags and a flyscreen.

I enjoy the hell out of the bike. and it's still great for what I got it for.
I had a DL650 before the 919 and kind of parked it after getting the 919 now I'm back to a DL650 only this time with ABS.

If it wasn't for the fact that my 26 mile surface street commute became a 88mile freeway commute, I'd still be riding the 919.

I found the bike to be easy to ride, comfortable, if at times a little boring, but that was good for me, I needed a functional boring bike to counter my not boring, but often not running vintage bikes.

I put 2500 miles on it during a week long tour and was totally comfortable.

With the fly screen it's great up to about 70mph, I get about 140-150 miles to the tank.
It's somewhat easy on tires, as easy a liter class sporty bike can be.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
rdltmc3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
one more thing, i constantly hear that the bike is boring. can anyone explain on this?

I know I'm all over the place but these are the bikes im considering
New
Triumph thunderbird
harley street bob
honda cb1100

Used
harley xl1200r - roadster model of the sportster
Triumph speed triple
honda cb919

If i Buy used im going to get rid of my cafe goldwing gl1000 and also get a kz1000 as a toy. But i need a bike im not "tinkering" with and i know will start everytime i need it to. (the Gl1000 is to big for the wife and she wants to ride)

I need a bike that is fun, comfortable, ablitly to carry atleast a jacket with out overly large bags and reliable.

rdltmc3 screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 05:22 AM
rdltmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
dogjaw
plays well alone

If you hear that the 9 is boring, your probably hearing it from people who measure their manhood in CC's; it carries its grunt lower in the revs than a super sport, where you can use it at every stoplight, and will take your breath away, especially considering what bikes you're coming from. I always found it odd that new bikes are considered "exhilarating" by the moto press when they hit the market, and others with the exact same HP/TQ are "boring", guess its all about selling magazines. I've ridden the Triple many times when I had my 9, never could justify the change; power/weight/ergos are very similar, Triumph has a cool name, the Honda is dead nuts reliable with better fit/finish.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I don't get the boring description either. In my mind, a motorcycle that handles well, accelerates to a quarter mile in the low 11 second range, has over 100 hp and has excellent braking, is anything but boring. If it ever takes zx14 level performance to make it not boring, there will be a lot of great bikes that I will miss out on. If boring means a bike that starts everytime, takes very little maintenance, and is well engineered and well constructed, then give me a boring bike everytime.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,845
Well hers my perspective.
Ive been luck enough to have been able to ride a very wide range of bikes.
I own a 919...
First up is its stock seating position. The bike is naked but the stock us bars put the rider in a very up right position.
The bars sweep forces the elbow in and you sit on the bike feeling not unlike pee wee Herman on his bicycle.

The engine is from a cbr900rr only it's powerband has been sanitized sure it still red lines about 9k but for a liter class bike even a light one. It does get to the redline fast and due to de tuning it's just not that exciting. But it's big enough that you don't need to rev the engine to get any where.

Then there's the styling.its not retro but it also is by no means a modern looking bike. For years it was offered in really plain colors colors that matched the bikes character.

Sure you can have fun on the bike. But it doesn't real stir a kind of passion that would have just go out to the garage to take a look at it.

That said boring isn't bad. I'm at a place in my life where I don't get many chances to work on my bikes. I'd rather use that time to ride not read stories about what someone else did. I want a bike that has zero fuss. And the 919 is perfect for that.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 738
It sounds to me like the 919 would be a great choice for you. The old 900RR motor was a great place to start then add fuel injection, good brakes, good handling, low maintenance, cheap insurance, decent gas mileage all make it a good choice for commuting.

The reason people say it is boring is because of some of the reasongs listed above. It is not great at anything. It is also approaching 1000cc but most bikes in that segment might have 110 to 125 or more horsepower at the rear wheel.

For example, I currently own a 2011 Kawasaki Z1000 and before that a 2007 KTM Super Duke 990. Both of these bikes have great power and the KTM especially handled like no other bike I have ever owned. My current bike will wheelie everywhere if you want. The KTM would go from zero to arrested in 5 seconds especially in the curves. If I were looking to simply commute I would not pick either of these two bikes because of so so fuel mileage and terrible range, high maintenance costs (KTM), higher insurance premium (ktm), tearing up chains , tires, sprockets (kaw), etc.

I say go for it. The seat of my pants says it has close to 100 horsepower which is way more than any of us really need and because it is a Honda it will probably run trouble free forever.

Aloha,
Kirk

Bald Kirk screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 09:55 PM
Bald Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #11
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdltmc3 View Post
one more thing, i constantly hear that the bike is boring. can anyone explain on this?

I know I'm all over the place but these are the bikes im considering
New
Triumph thunderbird
harley street bob
honda cb1100

Used
harley xl1200r - roadster model of the sportster
Triumph speed triple
honda cb919

If i Buy used im going to get rid of my cafe goldwing gl1000 and also get a kz1000 as a toy. But i need a bike im not "tinkering" with and i know will start everytime i need it to. (the Gl1000 is to big for the wife and she wants to ride)

I need a bike that is fun, comfortable, ablitly to carry atleast a jacket with out overly large bags and reliable.
I've ridden or owned basically every bike on your list extensively, except the Honda cb1100. Loved them all but for different reasons. I think you should replace the used xl1200r with a used xr1200r - it will be much more like the triumphs and cb919 and can be had for a great deal if you really look. I find that harkey dealers that have used ones tend to hang on to them high for a while and then fire sale them.

I loved the speed triple so much I bought three of them. If the new one wasn't so butt ugly I may have kept it lol. Regardless of looks they ride wonderfully. I replaced it with a Moto guzzi griso which I think is one of the best all-around bikes out there.

I'd also take a look at a BMW r1150r or r1200r. Awesome all around bikes with great reputations. I'm selling one but that's not why I'm suggesting it.

I had a thunderbird for about five days last summer. Put a few hundred miles on it. It was an abs storm and I really, really loved it. As sporty a cruiser as I've ever ridden. If I were going back to a cruiser I'd give a long look at one against the new moto guzzi California.

By the way moto guzzi has a bad, but fair rep for having a limited dealer network. It's true but you happen to live in the bikeways of one of the country's best guzzi dealers, rose farm classics. I really, really, really suggest you drop in and talk to Jim about what you want. Whether you buy a guzzi or not you'll leave with a lot more knowledge than you arrived.

I owned a super glide custom as well as a fatbob, so pretty close to a street bob. In a vacuum I really liked both bikes. In reality I out way too much money and effort in trying to get them to perform and handle as I felt they should wi little satisfaction there. If I hadn't owned/ridden what I have I may have been happy but life is relative. They were gorgeous though. I also loved that you could actually go to a good harley dealer and spend the day bsing, shopping around and just hang out. My wife and wallet hated that part hehe. Best dealer network although many poor dealers around. Still better to have to research your dealer than have no choice at all. Despite my dissatisfaction I'd still buy another, albeit this time only a road king - and only after priding the new moto guzzi California and thunderbird back to back.

919 is a great bike. Every time I go. Ike shopping I come close to buying one and back off for one reason or another. Probably because as cool as ey are they are a little boring. I think they are the Honda accord of motorcycles. They do everything well. They do certain things awesome. Sore reliable. Great web resources. Blah blah. In the end though they are Honda accords. On paper the Honda accord is probably just as good as some luxury cars or sports sedans, but in reality they just don't have that bite. I know - I have one. First boring car I've ever had. In the year I've owned it I NEVER stare at it or think about what I can do to tinker with it, like I did my vw's or BMW or even Subaru. But I appreciate its rock solidness.

This time I came within minutes of getting an awesome 2007 919 in VA for $2700. It was flawless, had maybe 3000 miles and the seller was one if one guys that just made you feel good about the purchase. I was comparing it to a Griso that was triple the price. I figured I could buy it and maybe get an old GTI to tinker with. A buddy of mine - yes a ducati snob- commented on the 919 when I asked him to look at it. He said the condition was great, bike was a great deal, etc. but he said it lacked soul. That didn't really bug me but he next statement really made me think. "Any teenager could have that bike. Any kid can get a Honda". Arrogant yes, lol, but it really made me think. One of e things I love best about my griso, my speed triples, even my vmaxxes was that people would come up to me and talk about them. I could never see someone doing that with a 919. All that and if I had some extra cash I'd still think about getting one hehe.

Last but not least the cb1100. Wow. I saw one at the NYC international bike show a few weeks ago. I loved it. Sat on it, played with it watched people's reactions to it, talked to the Honda rep. It looked great, although the forks looked a little thin for my tastes but I'm looking for fault you know? Color was awesome except that it was the color EVERYONE would get unless they get the abs one I think. That's ok though. It was super comfortable and I loved the riding position. I think I observed for an hour. EVERYONE loved it. The only negative comment was actually a positive one at first. A female member of a motorcycle club swung a leg over. She was loud and slightly buzzed and obnoxious but talked about how much she loved this bike. One of the guys with her said how much he admired it and she admonished him for liking a chick bike. Hinted at dropping him for another if she caught him on one. I laughed - little too loudly. He didn't care though said it was really cool. The tail light is AWFUL but that's easily fixed. Would I buy one? Yes. Over a griso? No. Griso is same bike but with more flavor. But that's my bias :). Ill defi they look at getting one in A few years used, probably as I think about a 919 hehe.

By the way I'd look at a used ducati monster too. Newer ones a reliable and don't require much tinkering from what I hear on forums and at the shop. Heck maybe the older ones too but I don't know for sure. For the price of one of those new bikes you could get a monster, a 919 and a super moto and really have some fun.
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
dogjaw
plays well alone

I ride what I want because I want to, not because I hope that people will want to talk to me. I rode the XR1200, wanted so badly to like it, but the 9 would run circles around it for 1/4 the price. The Bonnie is an awesome bike, as are all of the others mentioned in the above post, but I believe the 919 to be an under appreciated bike, which is fine with me; kind of like a twisty local road that others pass right by, hopefully this will keep the price down until I can buy me another.

dogjaw screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 03:49 PM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I ride what I want because I want to, not because I hope that people will want to talk to me. I rode the XR1200, wanted so badly to like it, but the 9 would run circles around it for 1/4 the price. The Bonnie is an awesome bike, as are all of the others mentioned in the above post, but I believe the 919 to be an under appreciated bike, which is fine with me; kind of like a twisty local road that others pass right by, hopefully this will keep the price down until I can buy me another.
I think my point may have been muddy. I ride what I want too. But it's a happy side effect that the bikes I cited spark conversation. Don't you love talking bikes?
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
"The 919 does a few things great and everything well." I have had mine for about 6 years. I have ridden from Tampa FL to Alamogordo NM, done track days, and everything in between. It is extremely smooty and predictable, probably resulting in people complaining that its "boring." It is beyond reliable, very well built, and pretty comfortable. The motor makes more TQ than a many liter bikes and pulls hard from any RPM. It doesn't need to rev high to make power, and if you drop one tooth on the rear sprocket it pretty much balances out the RPM's with the speedo.

I have a CBR 900 rear rim and CBR F3 front rim waiting to be swapped on here shortly when I need new tires.

To those who say its boring, learn how to ride:

BTW: if your man hood is up too it, they will do one hell of a wheelie/burn out/what ever other stupid shit your heart desires...lol.

Jnich77 screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 10:43 AM
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Oh, while I am thinking about it, try to get a 04 and up, the front forks are adjustable. On the older ones you can run thicker fork oil and thats suppose to make it feel more responsive. If you do get a pre 04 and want to be able to adjust things, the CBR-F4i forks bolt right in and are adjustable and easier to find than 919 forks (they have the same exact internals too). The rear shock is adjustable and not too bad for stock. Ohlins makes a replacement, but its stupid expensive.

The CBR 900 rear rim bolts right in as does the CBR f3 front rim (have to shim the calipers and play with the axle spacers) getting rid of that 90's look. The CBR 900 header bolts right up, as does the slip on. This drops about 20 pounds over the stock exhaust.

Frame sliders can be made for about 25.00 and a ste of Renthal bars is money well spent.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote