User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
IOC to Drop Olympic Wrestling starting in 2020

The IOC is like the NCAA - clowns - old men collecting money off the sports/work of others. No one checks these fools

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...mpics-18473870

How in the world do they consider dropping wrestling from the Olympics??

Just madness, Wrestling is the essence of the Olympics.

I urge all to contact their Olympic organizations & any others that you deem can reverse this craziness!

The International body for wrestling is FILA - fila@fila-wrestling.com

USA Wrestling @ rbender@usawrestling.org

USOC @ communications@usoc.org

PLEASE Email - call - send smoke signals

Thank U
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Saw this news earlier and have been depressed ever since. I would never have thought that this would even be a possibility. I don't expect most people to understand, but for me at least, this is some of the worst news I have heard in years. Reading on some other sites about this, it smacks of corruption at the highest level of olympic supervision and control. However, no one should find THAT surprising, corruption has been part of the IOC for all of its existence. All anyone has to do is look at the individual's that make up the IOC, their personal athletic experiences, and the countries they represent, and you can guess what type of "sports" they will support for future Olympics. The IOC has been a joke for years and IMO this is just further justification for a complete shakeup in the whole organization.....they should be ashamed of themselves.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,283
http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/ioc-drops-wrestling-from-2020-olympics/related/

"However, the decision isn’t quite final. Wrestling, which includes both Greco-Roman and freestyle disciplines, will now be thrown in against the other seven sports vying for a single spot in the 2020 Games schedule: baseball/softball, squash, wushu, roller sports, karate, sport climbing, and wakeboarding. A final vote will happen among the full IOC leadership at a meeting in Buenos Aires this September."

I can see wrestling getting back in during the final vote.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
tonto
Son of a preacher man

Oddometer: 1,541
Very sad news.
tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Hmmmmm.

Athletics (track and field), swimming, gymnastics, and equestrian are all considered "core sports" by the IOC. Yet, even though all of these "sports" have several different "events" they are all just considered one "sport" each.

Why is it that wrestling, judo, tekwando, karate, and wushu are all considered to be separate "sports" and not just different "events" within one core "sport"....the martial arts?

The IOC is a joke.....a bad one.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,113
IMO- Freestyle wrestling is still one of the purest and most entertaining sports in the Olympics.

Greco Roman wrestling...not so much.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
vettex2
X-Racer

Oddometer: 1,472
seems kinda stupid......
Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,523
Ridiculous! Synchronized swimming in, Wrestling out!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,789
Wrestling was the first Olympics. Now it is out? Obama sucks.

Oh yeah, and GR rocks. Real men, real throws.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
outraged over this
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 964
Shocked is the best word I can find to describe what I am feeling. By my screen name, you can tell I am into the sport a bit. My middle son is wrestling in college on a full ride scholarship. He was also a national Greco runner up and a freestyle all american in his schoolboy days. I am a mat official and a coach. My oldest wrestled in college and is now an mma fighter. My youngest wrestled up until he hurt his knee last season. He now races MX.

Being in Colorado Springs with the OTC in my back yard, I get an up close view of some of the best talent in the world. Freestyle Gold medalist Henry Cejudo went to the same high school as my sons. He comes back and visits all the time.

I still cannot believe how back handed and politically motivated this travesty was. FILA, the governing body of wrestling world wide was caught with their pants down on this. How on earth do you drop the founding sport from the Olympic Games? In a secret vote? No one knew about this?

I know FILA and the IOC are as corrupt as Chicago politics, but wrestling? How about dropping syncronized badminton or the 5k molly flogging?

There have been a few statements from the OTC and USA Wrestling yesterday and today, but none of them really are saying anything other than condemning the decision. Here's a couple of issues that have been raised by wrestling community.

1) Iran is pissed. Wrestling is to Iran as the NFL is to the USA. They have already begun jumping in the face of the IOC. A pissed off Iran is not good for the IOC. They may bomb the embassy....literally.

2) Russia is even more pissed. Wrestling in Russia is like soccer in England. They live and breathe the stuff. Their top wrestlers earn in the $500k - $1m range to wrestle. Seriously, Michael Jordan type money. The meeting where the IOC and FILA will decide officially to drop wrestling is being held in St Petersburg, Russia. Other than Des Moines, Iowa during the NCAA D1 Championships, you could not hold this meeting in an area where there are more wrestling fans. And they are pissed off. They WILL riot.

3) Dan Gable is launching an attack against the IOC and FILA to get wrestling reinstated. Dana White and the UFC are also involved. Most if not all the UFC athletes have wrestling backgrounds. NFL players are outraged. The Falcons Roddy White (2x state champion) is all over it.

Right now it looks like the IOC has a fight on its hands. I don't know if it will help and I don't know if they can get wrestling reinstated. There were a few pages that popped up on Facebook in support of this. One of them had over 500,000 likes in 12 hours. If you want the back pages info, jump on Facebook and give them a like. I am getting updates almost every hour.

I really hope this gets done and soon.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 964
http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/11392

Radio interview with Cael Sanderson. Sums it up pretty well.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco View Post
shocked is the best word i can find to describe what i am feeling. By my screen name, you can tell i am into the sport a bit. My middle son is wrestling in college on a full ride scholarship. He was also a national greco runner up and a freestyle all american in his schoolboy days. I am a mat official and a coach. My oldest wrestled in college and is now an mma fighter. My youngest wrestled up until he hurt his knee last season. He now races mx.

being in colorado springs with the otc in my back yard, i get an up close view of some of the best talent in the world. Freestyle gold medalist henry cejudo went to the same high school as my sons. He comes back and visits all the time.

I still cannot believe how back handed and politically motivated this travesty was. Fila, the governing body of wrestling world wide was caught with their pants down on this. How on earth do you drop the founding sport from the olympic games? In a secret vote? No one knew about this?

I know fila and the ioc are as corrupt as chicago politics, but wrestling? How about dropping syncronized badminton or the 5k molly flogging?

There have been a few statements from the otc and usa wrestling yesterday and today, but none of them really are saying anything other than condemning the decision. Here's a couple of issues that have been raised by wrestling community.

1) iran is pissed. Wrestling is to iran as the nfl is to the usa. They have already begun jumping in the face of the ioc. A pissed off iran is not good for the ioc. They may bomb the embassy....literally.

2) russia is even more pissed. Wrestling in russia is like soccer in england. They live and breathe the stuff. Their top wrestlers earn in the $500k - $1m range to wrestle. Seriously, michael jordan type money. The meeting where the ioc and fila will decide officially to drop wrestling is being held in st petersburg, russia. Other than des moines, iowa during the ncaa d1 championships, you could not hold this meeting in an area where there are more wrestling fans. And they are pissed off. They will riot.

3) dan gable is launching an attack against the ioc and fila to get wrestling reinstated. Dana white and the ufc are also involved. Most if not all the ufc athletes have wrestling backgrounds. Nfl players are outraged. The falcons roddy white (2x state champion) is all over it.

Right now it looks like the ioc has a fight on its hands. I don't know if it will help and i don't know if they can get wrestling reinstated. There were a few pages that popped up on facebook in support of this. One of them had over 500,000 likes in 12 hours. If you want the back pages info, jump on facebook and give them a like. I am getting updates almost every hour.

I really hope this gets done and soon.
+1
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,950
I don't like this, but in general, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Let's face it - wrestling really isn't that popular with the general public. But to get rid of it to keep modern pentathlon? C'mon now.

PoundSand screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 10:47 PM
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,927
I'm not a wrestling fan, but to me it like Track & Field, Swimming and Gymnastics is a cornerstone event of the olympics. Hell, it and Track & Field were probably all they did in Greece in the BC Olympics.

Makes me sad.

I certainly can understand the fury of the fans.

Yep Fila and the IOC are a bunch of corrupt bastards indeed and have been for a long time. NCAA is taking lessons from them.

Keep wrestling. Get rid of the "Adjective" sports--

Synchronized, Rhythmic, Beach, etc.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: