Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Motorcycle to Antarctica??

HI All,

Ive been on the road forn 40,000km now from the arctic circle in Alaska and I hope to try an make a symbolic landing of the bike in Antartica.

The bike in quetion is the iconic Honda C90.. i am currenlty in Chile, and heading for Tierra del Fuego. Recently I headed off up the side of a volcano in Chile to set a record for the Highest ever Honda Cub. YOu can see some pics below.. we made it to 5706m through deep snow, pulling, pushing and riding the bike when ever possbile. Thats 141 m above the highest road in the world and had there not been snow Im sure we could have challenged the world record!

Anyway, I really want to try get me and the bike Antarctica so if anyone knows someone who actually has done this please drop me a line!

thanks
Sean

www.hondavstheworld.com

HondaVsTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
How much money do you have

Would be better if this where posted in "trip planning" section.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Getting pretty late in the season for a trip to The Ice. Your best bet is check out http://www.lonelyplanet.com/antarcti...ing-there-away and se if you can score a ride to Patriot Hills. Perhaps you could ride out the back of the plane make a quick circle of the "tarmac" and ride back on. Riding a Honda 90 may be just quirky enough to cut a deal..

Any flights south right now will probably be empty, though the return may not be.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Velo on Ice

Here is a pic of a 350 Velocette at Mawson Station in 1961 or 62.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
Benka Pulko did it in 1999. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benka_Pulko

Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,816
Since there are no roads, where you could actually ride somewhere, I kind of fail to see the point of taking the bike to Antarctica. It would be unnecessary transporting of the vehicle, waste of money and effort.

Transporting yourself there, sure why not.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Since there are no roads, where you could actually ride somewhere
Offroad maybe..........
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295

After this post - I know I worry too much about tires
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
I'm currently at Palmer Station, an American research station about 700 miles south of TDF. You're going to need about $10,000-$15,000 dollars, barring some absurdly lucky personal connection or something. You'll either have to bribe the Argentine or Chilean military to get you tag along on one of the resupply flights to King George Island, or buy a berth on a small private ship that visits the peninsula. Either way will cost you at least that much.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Cheers for the replies guys... a few leads there to chase up.. unfortunately all of the landings are little old, and i know they have tightened up the regs down there since then, so its looking unlikely.. however they may have some contacts..

"I fail to see the point of bringing a bike to Antarctica"...

On that grounds I also fail to see the point of bringing a motorcycle up a side of a mountain where there are no roads, it's a pointless exercise. Yet that is what drives a lot of people- beautifully pointless deeds that really serve no purpose at all except to do something unusual and extraordinary..

Its just a symbolic gesture really..I very much doubt I can but I'm going to give it a go.. I have one lead I'm working on at the moment , its still a long shot though..

cheers all
Sean
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheeled 'Tard View Post
I'm currently at Palmer Station, an American research station about 700 miles south of TDF. You're going to need about $10,000-$15,000 dollars, barring some absurdly lucky personal connection or something. You'll either have to bribe the Argentine or Chilean military to get you tag along on one of the resupply flights to King George Island, or buy a berth on a small private ship that visits the peninsula. Either way will cost you at least that much.

Hey man... surely you have a contact there who might know someone in charge of logistics that I can send a proposal too? they might just go for it, seen as its pretty unusual?
thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaVsTheWorld View Post
Hey man... surely you have a contact there who might know someone in charge of logistics that I can send a proposal too? they might just go for it, seen as its pretty unusual?
thanks!
Far as I understand it ... Palmer station no longer allow ANY unofficial visitors and no tourists. In my two tours there, Tourists over ran the place, taking valuable time away from Science and disrupting study areas.

You should do what Benka Pulko did back in '99. "Pay" (and apparently she paid in her own unique way) a cruise ship to take you over. Many cruises are run out of Usuhaia and Punta Arenas. They'll do almost anything for money ... but nothing for free. You're request is not unusual at all ... and I'm sure they get lots of similar schemes presented to them.

I'm sure the Argentines or Chileans will welcome you (just buy a T-Shirt and a Mug) at their "Science" stations.

One last thing: Read the Antarctic Treaty: See if you can grasp what it's all about.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,816
Quote:
"I fail to see the point of bringing a bike to Antarctica"...

On that grounds I also fail to see the point of bringing a motorcycle up a side of a mountain where there are no roads, it's a pointless exercise. Yet that is what drives a lot of people- beautifully pointless deeds that really serve no purpose at all except to do something unusual and extraordinary..

Its just a symbolic gesture really..I very much doubt I can but I'm going to give it a go.. I have one lead I'm working on at the moment , its still a long shot though..
Riding up a side of a mountain, even without any roads (if you can, and you´re not trespassing, or breaking the local laws), that can be cool. And difference to Antarctica is naturally the fact, that you´re actually riding the bike somewhere. Taking the bike on the back of a truck up a side of a mountain, and then back, would be comparable.

The symbolic thing I sort of understand, though it does not necessarily mean I´d want to pay big money to get my bike there for that purpose. I would rather store the bike somewhere, go myself, and possibly spend the money I saved on some other travel. But that´s just me, and if you feel like taking the bike along is the way you want to do it, sure go ahead, it´s a free world.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #14
furiousfart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
thanks!
Also at Palmer, Tard's connections won't get you anywhere. We still get tourist but it is very limited, at least with cruise ships. I think your best bet to get here would be through one of the stations at King George Island. There is an airport there and I think you can get a flight there from Punta Arenas as a tourist.
furiousfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #15
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
thanks!
No. It's not going to happen through the USAP, I can promise you that. I know because my friend and I have spend the past year and a half trying to get OUR bikes down here. We can't even get out bikes down to Punta Aranes through the USAP's cargo system, let alone to the ice.

You could try applying for an Artists and Writer's grant, but you have to already be very established in your field to have a chance of that. You also need to show very clearly how your work will promote Antarctica and show the USAP in a positive light. These grants usually have to be applied for at least a couple years in advance, as well.

The ONLY way that you MIGHT get something like this done through the USAP (United States Antarctic Program) is to get a job on either the R/V Lawrence M. Gould or the R/V Nathanial B. Palmer, the USAP's two icebreakers that sail out of PA and service Antarctica. Work on them for at least a couple of seasons, bust your ass and work harder than you've ever worked in your life, work your way up to be a Senior Marine Tech or something like that. Then, MAYBE, if you're friends with all the right people and everyone looks the other way and you can take the bike apart in such a way that you can fit all the bits into some really huge duffel bags, you MIGHT be able to sneak it on board as part of your "personal cargo". Make sure it's on one of the cruises that's doing a field camp put-in where they're going to spend a day shuttling Zodiac boats full of cargo back and forth from ship to shore, see if you can somehow sneak your bike parts ashore. In the few hours you might have when they're doing landing operations, see if you can hurriedly get the thing put together without anyone noticing, ride it around for a few minutes and take pictures, and then try and get it disassembled and back into the innocent-looking duffel bags to get it back on the ship.

Of course, if you magically were able to pull all that off, you'd be fired the instant anyone found out, and then hit with some gigantic fines for violating some part of the ACA (Antarctic Conservation Act).

Far and away your best plan will be to try going through the Argentinian or Chilean Navy, or flying into the air stations on King George island. There are companies that will fly tourists there, and you'll probably just have to pay double fare for you and the bike.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote