ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2005, 11:44 PM   #16
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider
I just went out to look at my 1100GS, I think this is the model you have. The shifter is adjustable for height. It has two rod end links, one on top and one on the bottom. Mine has about a 1/2" of exposed thread total between the two. They might be tightened up to raise the shifter end that much.

Second, the foot peg is a simple bent piece of steel with two flanges set between two flanges on the mount. The pin is a plain pin held on by a cotter pin. IF you moved the foot peg to strattle the rear flange on the mount rather than setting between the two mount flanges it would move the peg backwards and down about 3/8". This would require making a new longer pin out of a carrage bolt, the smooth non threaded part and drilling a cotter pin hole in it.

These two temp fixes would give you more room for your boot. You could also make a new lower set of pegs easily after looking at the originals. They are only two pieces of bent steel welded together. I'd even consider turning the original pegs upside down and welding a new foot platform on the bottom. This would lower the foot platform 1-2". They'd be usable either way, high or low. All you would need is a piece of steel strap, a big vise, a hammer, saw or torch, an angle grinder, and a welder, the usual stuff.
Now this is excellent stuff.
If I moved the peg back to the rear flange do you think it would compromise the integrity of the pegs ability to handle weight?

I have a hammer and a saw?????

enjoy

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:00 AM   #17
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
If I moved the peg back to the rear flange do you think it would compromise the integrity of the pegs ability to handle weight?

enjoy
No. I don't think it would be a problem. The all steel foot peg uses the pin as a bearing and shaft. That won't change. You could and should put a large fender washer on the outside of the foot peg in front of the cotter pin to shore it up. The foot peg is still going to pivot on the pin/axel and the foot peg will transmit weight to the frame through the pin as usual. Plus, it's a temp fix. The only tools required for this are a hack saw to cut the carrage bolts and a drill, hand drill would work, drill press is better.

After further thought, with the use of bushings, small pieces of tubing, the foot peg could be set back at any distance up to an inch. If you have the Repair Manual the drawings of the foot "rests" are on page 46.50.

If you don't picture what I am suggesting I could move one of mine and photograph it and email you the photos, before and after.
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:10 AM   #18
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer: 719
Quote:

enjoy
I'll qualify my shade tree engineering by saying that moving the foot peg too far beyond the rear mount flange (still strattling it) would likely cause the carrage bolt/axle to bend, but kept close to rear flange it should support the weight fine. The pin is only about 1/4" in diameter.
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:31 AM   #19
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider
No. I don't think it would be a problem. The all steel foot peg uses the pin as a bearing and shaft. That won't change. You could and should put a large fender washer on the outside of the foot peg in front of the cotter pin to shore it up. The foot peg is still going to pivot on the pin/axel and the foot peg will transmit weight to the frame through the pin as usual. Plus, it's a temp fix. The only tools required for this are a hack saw to cut the carrage bolts and a drill, hand drill would work, drill press is better.

After further thought, with the use of bushings, small pieces of tubing, the foot peg could be set back at any distance up to an inch. If you have the Repair Manual the drawings of the foot "rests" are on page 46.50.

If you don't picture what I am suggesting I could move one of mine and photograph it and email you the photos, before and after.
Outstanding - I will take a look in the morning....and who knows - the way I improve things I might just need that photo.

Thanks for your help.

Enjoy

06 ST1300
Old 07-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #20
a16tony
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Alright,
I am offically out of ideas. TouraTech claims to have a kit to lower the pegs on my 1100GS to 4 different positions. However, it has been hell trying to order as they have no idea when and where this part is. I need to either lower the pegs or extend the shift lever to allow my M/X boots to fit under the lever.

I would like to have the work down before the Naches run - so I decided to post here instead of the equipment forum.

HELP.

Enjoy

Stosh
Stosh, pm me w/pics of what you are trying to do.
a16tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #21
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
I have a pair of Touratech lowered pegs for the 1150gs that you can try out. If you like them you can buy them....I'll be in Seattle on Wednesday afternoon through Friday afternoon at the U of W doing some wind tunnel testing. I can bring them up if you want...
Its' Part Number: 300-0041
You can see them here:
Touratech USA

The lower your foot a tad under stock and they are a lot easier to stand on....
$65.....

Cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:40 AM   #22
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow
I have a pair of Touratech lowered pegs for the 1150gs that you can try out. If you like them you can buy them....I'll be in Seattle on Wednesday afternoon through Friday afternoon at the U of W doing some wind tunnel testing. I can bring them up if you want...
Its' Part Number: 300-0041
You can see them here:
Touratech USA

The lower your foot a tad under stock and they are a lot easier to stand on....
$65.....

Cheers,
Jorge
Jorge,
Thanks for the offer. I will take a closer look today and get back to you.

Enjoy

06 ST1300
Old 07-04-2005, 09:41 AM   #23
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by a16tony
Stosh, pm me w/pics of what you are trying to do.
If I only know how to get a picture into this thread?

06 ST1300
Old 07-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #24
a16tony
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
If I only know how to get a picture into this thread?
GENTRY! a little help here.
a16tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #25
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,293
pics and pegs

Stosh,

First of all, Touratech and Cycoactive are one and the same. Cycoactive is the US distributor for Touratech. Unfortunately, when they tell you that they have no idea when stuff will arrive, they are not yanking your chain. Talking to Brendan at Southsound, back when Ride West was the Touratech distributor, they had the same problem. Touratech in germany produces stuff in a rather haphazard manner. Something might take a week to get, or two months. It's really hit or miss.

Two: To post a pic, you need a SmugMug account. If you don't have one, email me the pic, and I'll post it for you.

Three: I have a set of stock 1150 gs pegs and shift lever if you want to take a look at them. Also, I have a set of Wunderlich lowered pegs and shift lever on my Adventure.The Wunderlich kit is nice, but the pegs are narrow like the stock pegs. In general, when you lower you pegs, you need a different shift lever, because you move the pegs down and forward, which will make it a tight fit under the stock lever. The Touratech replacement shift lever is UGLY. Let me poke around on the internet and see if I can find the kit I bought.

PM me if you have any ????

Luca

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill

Guaglione screwed with this post 07-04-2005 at 11:18 AM
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #26
Guaglione
Country mice

BMW Of Santa Cruz

Stosh,

go here: http://www.bmwscruz.com/SHOP/BMW/index.html

for 1100gs specific parts from wunderlich. It looks like they have a few different options for lowering you pegs, one that doesn't need a new shift lever, and one that does.

good luck.

The main website is:http://www.bmwscruz.com/

Winston Churchill
Old 07-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #27
Guaglione
Country mice

Wunderlich peg lowering kit

This is what I have. I have size 15 feet, so in my MX boots, I need lots of space for my feet:

Winston Churchill
Old 07-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #28
GENO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Pegs

Hi Guys. Any of you heard about Fastway Pegs..Have tried searching around these came up they from UK. Nippy Normans. Any help would be great PS Dont have a full work shop like some of you guys . Many Thanks Geno
GENO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #29
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
This is what I have. I have size 15 feet, so in my MX boots, I need lots of space for my feet:

Luca,

Thanks for all the help. I will e-mail you Pics. Would you post for Tony to take a look?

Size 15 shoe??? WTF!!!.

The picture - is this what you want to sell? How much longer is the shift lever vs the stock?

The pegs look like the ones I have on.

06 ST1300
Old 07-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #30
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
Stosh,

First of all, Touratech and Cycoactive are one and the same. Cycoactive is the US distributor for Touratech. Unfortunately, when they tell you that they have no idea when stuff will arrive, they are not yanking your chain. Talking to Brendan at Southsound, back when Ride West was the Touratech distributor, they had the same problem. Touratech in germany produces stuff in a rather haphazard manner. Something might take a week to get, or two months. It's really hit or miss.

Two: To post a pic, you need a SmugMug account. If you don't have one, email me the pic, and I'll post it for you.

Three: I have a set of stock 1150 gs pegs and shift lever if you want to take a look at them. Also, I have a set of Wunderlich lowered pegs and shift lever on my Adventure.The Wunderlich kit is nice, but the pegs are narrow like the stock pegs. In general, when you lower you pegs, you need a different shift lever, because you move the pegs down and forward, which will make it a tight fit under the stock lever. The Touratech replacement shift lever is UGLY. Let me poke around on the internet and see if I can find the kit I bought.

PM me if you have any ????

Luca
E-mail address?

06 ST1300