ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #61
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
It works - When can you cut and weld???
I'm guessing someone has a set of OEM pegs just lying around that they might sell cheap or donate to science. You know you are doing real work when it involves a torch, grinder, and welder. Just remember, BMW used all these tools to make the bike, you'll need them again to make it better.

We should film the making of the pegs for an episode of Monster Garage. There are too many Harley shows on cable, there needs to be an Adventure Bike show. Maybe we could get Michelle Smith to straddle a BMW.

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #62
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider
I'm guessing someone has a set of OEM pegs just lying around that they might sell cheap or donate to science. You know you are doing real work when it involves a torch, grinder, and welder. Just remember, BMW used all these tools to make the bike, you'll need them again to make it better.

We should film the making of the pegs for an episode of Monster Garage. There are too many Harley shows on cable, there needs to be an Adventure Bike show. Maybe we could get Michelle Smith to straddle a BMW.
Amen.

Any donatee's out there????

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #63
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Amen.

Any donatee's out there????
I would give you mine, but I am going to hack them up and weld them to my lowered pegs, and voila, wider pegs.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:51 AM   #64
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
I would give you mine, but I am going to hack them up and weld them to my lowered pegs, and voila, wider pegs.
Who is doing the hackin and weldin?

06 ST1300
Old 07-07-2005, 08:11 AM   #65
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Quote:
Who is doing the hackin and weldin?
I'm going to look at a bike this morning, and will be riding all day tomorrow. I might be free this afternoon, should have time this evening, and am free this weekend. I'll look around the shop to see what steel is available. We might even mock up a trial peg to see how it works. I'll PM you my phone number and we can talk. Sounds like fun.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:02 AM   #66
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
I'm going to look at a bike this morning, and will be riding all day tomorrow. I might be free this afternoon, should have time this evening, and am free this weekend. I'll look around the shop to see what steel is available. We might even mock up a trial peg to see how it works. I'll PM you my phone number and we can talk. Sounds like fun.
WOW- this is more then expected. Thanks and tonight sounds good. I am booked the rest of the weekend.

Enjoy

06 ST1300
Old 07-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #67
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Quote:
WOW- this is more then expected. Thanks and tonight sounds good. I am booked the rest of the weekend.

Enjoy
I PMed you directions to my place.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #68
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Howdy Stosh,

I couldn't buy what I wanted, so I did it myself.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #69
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Stosh,

I couldn't buy what I wanted, so I did it myself.
NOW YOU'RE TALKING.

Das Rider - What do you think of this fine work???

06 ST1300
Old 07-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #70
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Very nice.

Mr. Cob does nice work. It looks like he used the OEM peg like I have suggested, he shifted it backwards and down and it appears to have been cut in two about where I am suggesting. He added additional foot platform to the peg and brake. He may have even set the pegs out from the frame a little. Very nice, very similar to my suggestion. I'd like to know if he made the toothed bar for the foot platform (if so how) or cut up some other pegs. Yours would be similar.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:41 PM   #71
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Mr. Cob does nice work. It looks like he used the OEM peg like I have suggested, he shifted it backwards and down and it appears to have been cut in two about where I am suggesting. He added additional foot platform to the peg and brake. He may have even set the pegs out from the frame a little. Very nice, very similar to my suggestion. I'd like to know if he made the toothed bar for the foot platform (if so how) or cut up some other pegs. Yours would be similar.
Now - are you going on the ride tomorrow? If not I will have time during the day ( I know - make up my mind, right? ....crazy schedule) If so I may be able to drop over later.

Let me know

Stosh

06 ST1300
Old 07-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #72
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Howdy Das Rider,

I cut the stock peg off, moved it down two inches. I have a small milling machine in my garage along with a mig welder and other assorted tools. I made the extra "toothed bar" from 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick mild steel flat stock, I used a 90 degree pointed end mill to cut the notch's in it. I also made the brake pedal larger so it's easier to find in those butt puckering moments of shear terror when you are asking yourself what the fuck am I doing here

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #73
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

I'm going on the ride, but it's a secret, sshhhh. Let's do it sometime this weekend. I also have a mill and lathe in the garage, but for this job I thought if we needed to make more toothed bar I'd drill a row of evenly spaced holes down the middle of a strap and then saw it down the middle, instant toothed bar stock.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #74
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Quote:
NOW YOU'RE TALKING.

Das Rider - What do you think of this fine work???
My welds won't be that pretty, I've got a wire feed welder, but not the MIG attachment for it. Not ugly, just not smooooth, but strong.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #75
Mr. Cob

Quote:
My welds won't be that pretty, I've got a wire feed welder, but not the MIG attachment for it. Not ugly, just not smooooth, but strong.
Howdy Das Rider,

I am not finding fault, just trying to keep things clear. I think you are mistaking "MIG" and "TIG". A wire feed welder is "MIG" welding, that is what I am setup to do, same as you. I wish I had a "TIG" setup but I can't see investing the money for something I would have such Little use for, if I were in the fabrication business, I would definitely have a "TIG" welder.