Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #61
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Since this thread is back from the dead I will update... I decided to just keep the KLR

In the end it came down to the fact that I just want to ride and travel as much as possible and in that regard the bike really doesnt matter that much. I'm not trying to win the Paris Dakar, I am trying to have fun and put as many of these as possible on my face in the process.

I just ordered $350 worth of stuff for the pig to get I prepped for the season and I'm just going to ride it as much as I can, fix it when it breaks, and then repeat. I am also Baja bound in January 2014 so I need to rub a few nickels together for what will likely be a 7000+ mile trip.

I'd rather have a beat up Barbie dream bike KLR and some awesome stories than a shiny KTM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #62
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Check out a DR650. Lighter in the dirt than a KLR but still does the hiway well.
It needs some upgrades but so do most any bike.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #63
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
I'd rather have a beat up Barbie dream bike KLR and some awesome stories than a shiny KTM.
good attitude.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #64
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Since this thread is back from the dead I will update... I decided to just keep the KLR

In the end it came down to the fact that I just want to ride and travel as much as possible and in that regard the bike really doesnt matter that much. I'm not trying to win the Paris Dakar, I am trying to have fun and put as many of these as possible on my face in the process.

I just ordered $350 worth of stuff for the pig to get I prepped for the season and I'm just going to ride it as much as I can, fix it when it breaks, and then repeat. I am also Baja bound in January 2014 so I need to rub a few nickels together for what will likely be a 7000+ mile trip.

I have had a lot of bikes, never had a KLR, but you made the right decision as far as I can see. A bike you know, is worth 3 times the one you don't.
ssmschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #65
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Excellent choice! For a fun and simple travel bike you can't do much better!

The Thumpers forum guys tend to get side tracked too much with Tech, Farkles and the latest Bling and forget about actual riding ... and Adventure Travel. Fact is ... very few here go much beyond a 3 day weekend or two week vacation.

Keep it cheap and simple and enjoy your time in Mexico ... for a few months if you can. 7000 miles? Sounds like you may go beyond Baja? Enjoy!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #66
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

I figure between riding from MN through OK, NM, Az And Ca, down Baja, up mainland Mexico, and finally back to MN 7000 isn't crazy at all.

So far I bought everything Eagle Mike sells for the KLR... The doo, subframe bolts, peacock, etc. I have a bunch more planned for it and will likely start a dedicated thread on that. I recon before the Baja trip I will rebuild the engine, she burns a healthy amount of oil
Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #67
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I figure between riding from MN through OK, NM, Az And Ca, down Baja, up mainland Mexico, and finally back to MN 7000 isn't crazy at all.

So far I bought everything Eagle Mike sells for the KLR... The doo, subframe bolts, peacock, etc. I have a bunch more planned for it and will likely start a dedicated thread on that. I recon before the Baja trip I will rebuild the engine, she burns a healthy amount of oil
Wow! That's a serious ride! Nice list of improvements too!
If you still find you're using oil ... try to find US made oil when in Mexico. Most ALL oil sold in Mexico is Pemex ... even if it says Castrol, Penzoil or Quakerstate. NON of it has the additive packages US oil has. Its just Pemex. US companies sell the right to the label ... not the formula.

There is US made oil available in Mexico ... but you have to look for it. Check the label. Some will say Made in EEUU (USA). I found it at Wal-Mart in La Paz, BC. Also, Moto shops have US made oil. but $$$$$!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #68
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

The motor is getting rebuilt before that trip... I want a big bore

Got my Klx choke plunger to replace my broken cable, and hopefully all my eagle mike parts will be here by Friday!