ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #16
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
It has always puzzled me why a lot of GS riders think the Adventure model, carrying another 50-75lbs more weight, mostly up high, is somehow better suited for dirt and off-road stuff.
Because Ewan and Charley rode them!

(And broke them. And dropped them. And cursed them.)
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
It has always puzzled me why a lot of GS riders think the Adventure model, carrying another 50-75lbs more weight, mostly up high, is somehow better suited for dirt and off-road stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Because Ewan and Charley rode them!

(And broke them. And dropped them. And cursed them.)
The Adventure model has more ground clearance. Really, other than that, it is actually less capable than a standard GS, IMHO, because of weight and bulk.

Charlie and Ewan were fools in the way they overloaded their bikes, and admitted it! You have to admit though, they got good at picking them up!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
The only true "adventure" bike I owned was a Ducati E900, I know it is a very capable bike in the right hands, but I hated riding it off pavement. Big, tall, heavy, expensive, vulnerable and jerky making it difficult to ride at lower speeds, and even a tip over had the potential for significant damage. I only rode it off pavement a few times.

Another bike I owned that was about as far from an "adventure" bike as you can get, a V-Star 650 classic. I enjoyed riding it off pavement. Low, low cg, fat tires, inexpensive, front and rear crash bars, made it very easy to ride at lower speeds, and dropping it typically resulted in little or no damage. I rode it off pavement often.

I do most of my off pavement riding alone, so I ride at lower speeds. Neither was suitable for challenging conditions at my skill level or willingness to take risk when alone.

IMO, there are 2 basic rules.
A bikes capabilities are only as good as the riders willingness and ability to use them.
A riders capabilities only goes so far in making up for using the wrong bike for the conditions.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
Solarbronco OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 305
I honestly wasn't picking on BMW. They are magnificent bikes! But if ya start pricing those plastic pieces, ya will think twice before taking them offroad.

I ride hard offroad and dump my DRZ all the time. It is only 8 months old and I have replaced a radiator and broken both rear blinkers, in the first two months! It too is considered heavy next to my friends on aluminum framed 450's. It weighs 317 or so when full of gas and man, the worse spills come when I slow down for something.
Slowing down is when the heavy bikes want to tip over. On a big bike, ya gotta keep momentum going forward, use speed to plow thru sand or over rocks. Slowing down is when it will tip because your plant foot is trying to hold up 600 lbs on a rock that is turning or sand that your foot is sinking in. If you are going slow enough to have to plant a foot off road, you are probably going to dump that expensive beast and break something and hopefully not yer foot.

Anyone who rides off road and never dumps their bike isn't riding hard enough or having enough fun. You don't learn until you spill yer bike and sometimes, yer blood a few times on some scary/gnarly/rocky trail. Ya just don't want to have 600 lbs of expensive bike spilling with or on top of you. anyone who argues with that is a damn liar.

Again BMW, Aprilla, KTM, Ducati, ETC, ETC. they are all great bikes! Love em and if I had the money, I'd own all of em and open an ADV museum and hire a bunch of big boobied girls to pass out beer and show em all off. But I see too many broken on trails that they don't belong on. Just sayin...

Solarbronco screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 10:26 AM
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?
 
GoGoGavin41's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: "America's Finest City" ...wait, what?
Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
But if ya start pricing those plastic pieces, ya will think twice before taking them offroad
That's what duct tape and JB weld is for!
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The Adventure model has more ground clearance. Really, other than that, it is actually less capable than a standard GS, IMHO, because of weight and bulk.

Charlie and Ewan were fools in the way they overloaded their bikes, and admitted it! You have to admit though, they got good at picking them up!

Jim
I'll argue that once the 'regular' GS is loaded up with crashbars and a bigger skid plate, the weight difference is pretty well negligible. After all, how much more does a slightly bigger plastic tank weigh?

I've taken my GS-Adv further off-road than I had any business taking it. I found the limits of the suspension a few times. It can be done, but you have to keep in mind what you're riding, where you're riding, and always leave a margin of error.

Important safety note: if you try to ride the GS or GS-Adv like an enduro/DS/MX bike you WILL pay the piper. ...and its not called 'Bring More Wallet' for nothing! Them parts are pricey!

Some of y'all n00bs need to go find the ride report where ?Sasquatch? rode his 1150GS (?Adv?) in an enduro. THAT's some amazing reading.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,187
I got all busted up on a dr650 at low speed in soft sand, and the DR is one of the lighter bigger dual sport type bikes.
I never got badly hurt on smaller lighter bikes even in high speed crashes.

Weight and a little bit of age are likely to end up badly.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'll argue that once the 'regular' GS is loaded up with crashbars and a bigger skid plate, the weight difference is pretty well negligible. After all, how much more does a slightly bigger plastic tank weigh?

I've taken my GS-Adv further off-road than I had any business taking it. I found the limits of the suspension a few times. It can be done, but you have to keep in mind what you're riding, where you're riding, and always leave a margin of error.

Important safety note: if you try to ride the GS or GS-Adv like an enduro/DS/MX bike you WILL pay the piper. ...and its not called 'Bring More Wallet' for nothing! Them parts are pricey!

Some of y'all n00bs need to go find the ride report where ?Sasquatch? rode his 1150GS (?Adv?) in an enduro. THAT's some amazing reading.

M
There is still some difference, about 30 pounds, but the GS Adv is still wider and bulkier! None the less, it still comes down to the rider no matter what bike you ride!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #24
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter
 
SlipChip's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: East of CleveOh
Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Some of y'all n00bs need to go find the ride report where ?Sasquatch? rode his 1150GS (?Adv?) in an enduro. THAT's some amazing reading.
That was Javarilla! Famous thread it is...
__________________
Chip
`92 Yamaha TDM 850

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
feldjäger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Well, there is some complete bullshit in this thread and some very salient, valid points as well.

There is no point in trying to ride a bike that big with a bunch of 400's at speed. It can be done, it has been done, and I have done it. Was it fun? Hell no, it wasn't. I have an 1150, even heavier still than that 1200 and caving the tank in on a rock is a very expensive possibility.

Not to mention the shin breaker cylinders up ahead and rear pegs read to trap a foot if one were to dab in the wrong spot.

That being said, these bikes can get through most anywhere if enough caution is taken. Obviously, if the goat trail is very steep and heavily rutted/rocked such that a rider on a 250 will stop and think about it, well, another track should be found if possible.

But if the rider takes his time and is cautious, these big bikes can get through. Trying ride like it's the Paris-Dakar means trouble. The guys on the 400's will probably get bored and ride on. Which is how it should be.

It's not a dirt bike, we all know that. Some people can ride them as such, the bulk of us can't and shouldn't. We just need to know that if the only way through IS a goat trail we can take our time and nose pick through it. And then run 85 on the slab once we make it back to tarmac. Those bikes have the suspension, the horsies, and the legs to go damn near anywhere.

You just have care fuck-all about speed and impressing anyone. If I showed up on my 1150 and a bunch of guys on 400's were tearing ass and riding like maniacs down trails that made them stop and think-- I'd turn back and go have a pint of ale. Don't ruin your season or perhaps end your riding days because of one ride and some hubris.

There is a reason I have an 1150GS , an F650 Dakar and a XR400. Choose the best weapon, have fun.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and say that adventure bikes can't go nearly anywhere, because they can, and they have. You can read those reports on this very site. But big speed and nasty terrain add up to big crashes.

Very well said! I have an GS1200ADV and have found myself in places I don't care to ever go back to, but the bike made it and in one piece. Have I wrecked my bike off road? Yes. You learn, and even better to learn from professionals who can teach you how to ride the big bike off road, i,e Rawhyde Adventures, ect..

The one thing that gets me is how the guys riding the smaller bikes are quick to criticize those who ride the big bike off-road. Reminds me of when I mountain bike and find that one of the trails has been destroyed by a guy on one of those smaller bikes....

feldjäger screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 03:49 PM
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
Solarbronco OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 305
Not criticizing. Hell, for six years in a row I'm the first one to pick em up off the ground, help pick their bikes up off the ground, pick the many pieces of their bikes plastic up off the ground, pass em a tissue and call 911 for em!

Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WRW9751's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Ankeny Iowa
Oddometer: 333
I for one finally figured it out. Have a Tenere, just bought a KTM 500 xc. Didn't do much damage but did get a valuable lesson! It only hurt a little mostly in the wallet. Still have the Tenere, enjoy it very much but, I know it's place.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #28
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,524
For 20 thousand dollars it should have the suspension capable for off road use.

See

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-...#photo-2427084
__________________
Jayrod1318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
corndog67
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
For 20 thousand dollars it should have the suspension capable for off road use.

See

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-...#photo-2427084

Wrong. It isn't the suspension. It's the size and weight they carry. I'd say most of them are pushing 600lbs or more full of gas and with a bunch of stuff bolted onto them. They call them Adventure Bikes. What they are, is street bikes with high handlebars. I notice the BMW guys are all butthurt, and saying that they do this, they do that. You can do all this shit on a ZX-10, a 69 CB750, a moped, and everything else. I believe the original posters intent was that people are getting hurt, shit, some of them are probably even getting killed, because they think they are on dirt bikes. They are not dirt bikes. Remember the old days when all you had was a step-through 90? You got that fucker everywhere. If you really tried, you could get an Escalade most anywhere, but the point was, some people are falling for the marketing "I'm an Adventurer", and I'm helping the accessories manufacturers send their kids to Stanford by buying all this stuff that makes my bike an Adventure Bike.

I was at our local dealer a while back, and I saw some guy refer to a Triumph Explorer as a "dirtbike". It isn't any more dirtbike than a G/S. A worthy streetbike, comfortable, wind protection, bags and whatnot, but I just can't imagine laying underneath any of those fuckers on the side of a hill somewhere.

If you really want to boogie off road, get a dirt bike. I've got both, I used to have an XR650L, but even that was too big to really get it on in the dirt.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Wrong. It isn't the suspension. It's the size and weight they carry. I'd say most of them are pushing 600lbs or more full of gas and with a bunch of stuff bolted onto them. They call them Adventure Bikes. What they are, is street bikes with high handlebars. I notice the BMW guys are all butthurt, and saying that they do this, they do that. You can do all this shit on a ZX-10, a 69 CB750, a moped, and everything else. I believe the original posters intent was that people are getting hurt, shit, some of them are probably even getting killed, because they think they are on dirt bikes. They are not dirt bikes. Remember the old days when all you had was a step-through 90? You got that fucker everywhere. If you really tried, you could get an Escalade most anywhere, but the point was, some people are falling for the marketing "I'm an Adventurer", and I'm helping the accessories manufacturers send their kids to Stanford by buying all this stuff that makes my bike an Adventure Bike.

I was at our local dealer a while back, and I saw some guy refer to a Triumph Explorer as a "dirtbike". It isn't any more dirtbike than a G/S. A worthy streetbike, comfortable, wind protection, bags and whatnot, but I just can't imagine laying underneath any of those fuckers on the side of a hill somewhere.

If you really want to boogie off road, get a dirt bike. I've got both, I used to have an XR650L, but even that was too big to really get it on in the dirt.
I agree with you, I was trying to be sarcastic. I googled "0ff road BMW gs" and that was one of the images it came up with. It confirmed one of the previous posters information that BMW markets these 2 wheeled air craft carriers as off road capable.

This discussion reminds me of an article I read awhile back about the proleferation and use of the mega 4x4 atv's. Some of these beamoths weigh more than the bikes we are talking about. Kids and adults are getting crushed to death by the damn things. I have an extended family member that was crushed to death by one while on the job. Hit a ditch and it flipped on top of him killing him instantly.

I'd never take one these 2 wheeled barco loungers with espresso machines on the trail!

However, I guess it stands to reason in the adventure spirt sometimes your not going to get where your going without riding some extreme terrain on one of these.
__________________
Jayrod1318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014