Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Is it that much of an advantage to narrow the trailers?

OTOH people talk about the hazard of one trailer wheel hitting an obstruction and flipping the trailer. Wouldn't leaving it wider make it more stable in roll, making for a lesser risk of that peril?

Or will the argument be, it's not that much more stable if it's only 10% narrower. But then isn't it not that big an advantage to have it only 10% narrower? Which is it, significant or insignificant?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #32
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

OTOH people talk about the hazard of one trailer wheel hitting an obstruction and flipping the trailer. Wouldn't leaving it wider make it more stable in roll, making for a lesser risk of that peril?

Or will the argument be, it's not that much more stable if it's only 10% narrower. But then isn't it not that big an advantage to have it only 10% narrower? Which is it, significant or insignificant?

I really wasn't ever worried about the trailer flipping over. I read a lot about MC trailer towing and I don't remember it coming up.

The reason I put a longer tongue on my first trailer and plan to narrow the width of my second is because there is a formula for the tongue length based on the width of your axle.

By Narrowing it, you are saving weight on both the trailer and the tongue because the tongue can then be shorter.

I tried the first trailer stock and then added the longer tongue. It did tow better.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #33
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
I've also towed trailers with my bikes.

It's noisy. Largely from the noise reflected back at you from the trailer. But also the engine pulls harder, and the trailer makes noise itself.

Make sure your hitch on the bike is solid. I've made several over the years. Very solid ones work fine, wiggly ones give you nightmares.

Most motorcycle trailers are overbuilt and excessively heavy. I had one for years that weighed 40 lbs. The whole trailer. That pulled nicely.

Bigger wheels spin slower and easier than tiny wheels. Matters a whole lot on the interstate.

It's not the potholes that get you, it's the barriers around gas pumps and such. When you forget there's a trailer back there.

Always think through the turn around. Backing with a trailer on a bike is not fun.
thanks, good tips

I have always had the thought of a trailer for my V-strom in the back of my mind, there are other things that are way higher priority
I almost think I would prefer a mono-wheel type pulling a trailer isn't my fear , its stopping that concerns me, I know the difference is substantial between solo and 2up. Adding a trailer has to add several more feet, or are linked braking systems available?
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I have pulled a trailer

I have pulled a trailer with my 2001 Suzuki Intruder 1500, it was a Kwik Kamp tent trailer, empty weight about 350 maybe, loaded, somewhere arround 500. Pulled like a champ. I added a sidecar to the intruder and pulled it some more. Then I upgraded to a Goldwing with a Hannigan double wide sidecar. Went on a Texas to Cali and all the way up the coast to the tip of Washington and back to Texas, loaded heavy. Roughly with my wife + gear + camper trailer = 2,300 lbs. roughly.

Since the trip last summer, I added a little taller tires and stepped up my hitch a couple of inches for extra clearance. Only thing I would do differently would be to not take so much damn stuff!
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #35
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I also have a freind of mine who used a Harbor Freight trailer and a car top carrier and pulls it with her V65 Magna.
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Oh Great! ANOTHER trailering thread!

About 240 Liters of storage...

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 05:07 PM
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #37
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

When I was looking for a trailer, I wanted something that was 36-inches at the widest. That would make the trailer about the width of my bike with 30-liter panniers, and not much wider than the bars.

I've been pulling my Fridge trailer for three years and over 15,000 miles. It has the swivel hitch adapter and a 36-inch width. It weighs about 250-lbs loaded for a week-long trip, and has been a great way to enjoy 2-up camping/touring on my Guzzi LeMans!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 05:35 PM
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #38
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
This started as a HF trailer. I cut the middle out and narrowed it about 6", just a hair wider than my handlebars. Stretched the tongue about 12".Made a hitch for the bike and a swivel coupler from a center link from a tractor.
Never pulled a trailer with a bike before.
Easy handling! Rode it back and forth to work a few times, then did a 1300 round trip to Niagara Falls and back.

Dog loved it!

Photobucket
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #39
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
Dog loved it!

Your dogs name is Dog?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #40
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Your dogs name is Dog?

When I step in something, her name is Dammit Dog, but mostly she answers to Trixie! We used to have a mutt that we called Cat.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #41
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,027
The hitch length rule of thumb is: Length = 2.5 X the wheel to wheel distance. Start the hitch length measurement from the wheel axle's. From Bob Carpenter in the late 80's.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #42
KinkyWinks
El Gringo Perdido

Oddometer: 66
I have pulled trailers at least 20,000 miles and never had any problems other than my camper trailer being wider and hitting the raised concrete island at a gas pump. You will only do that once. My other two trailers are not much wider than my Goldwing. One of the trailers is a 18" bronze bell that raises to ring and lowers for travel. I have pulled them up to 90 miles per hour. When people ask about pulling, I always tell them you can pull one with a 250 Honda Rebel BUT, you can't stop it. So, whatever you use make sure you can stop. All 3 of my trailers weigh about 250 to 300 pounds each with around 25 to 35 pounds tounge weight on the hitch.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #43
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 195
Waaay back in '74 I built my own trailer. Regular trailer wheels, light plywood box covered with fiberglass.
Semi streamlined box with a curved lid. Widest point of the axle is the width of the bike's mirrors so it will fit
through any space that the bike will go through.
Fully loaded it weighs about 250 pounds. No trouble at all. I've pulled it thousands of miles behind by BMW R90/6
up to 70 miles per hour.
Then.....
I got this idea to build another trailer to haul two bicycles behind the BMW. Just a light weight frame with
tie downs for the bicycles. I doubt that the whole thing weighed more than 75 pounds with the bicycles on it.
Damn! I could not get that thing above 55 mph on the highway! The wind drag on all that round tubing on
both the trailer and the bicycles was tremendous!! It was like trying to pull a parachute!!
I eventually cut it up for scrap.
I still have the original cargo trailer.

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #44
Haul Ass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I pull a Kwik Kamp camper which is 36 inches wide with the Road Glide. With passenger. That is about as wide as i will ever tow. Only thing I can advise on is to to keep the trailer about as wide as the handlebars, I tow a canoe on an extended harbor freight trailer and have a closed box clamshell too. None wider than the bike. Towed for many thousands of miles on 3 different Harleys and never had a scary moment. If it sways, move the weight backwards or lengthen the tongue. Those roof top carriers are very flimsy. Trailer weight on the hitch is around 30 lb. I use a MC Hitch which is way better than any of the others I tried before .
Do it yu will like the added comfort of more stuff.
Haul Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #45
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Built my own trailer, have a 360 degree swivel hitch and have toewd thousands of miles towing bikes with the Vmax. Had to also do the hitch custom, starting with a hitch designed for a Honda GL500