ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #31
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
How many people did it last year ?
I think about 12 finished the whole trip. A couple of others had to drop earlydue tomechanics and a couple of others just joined during the middle for a couple days due to schedule conflicts.
2000 KLR, 2002 KLR, 1993 BMW K100LT
KLR/Mikuni VM38 Report
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #32
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 742
Whole route will be big bike friendly. The Lolo, Magruder, and Gravellys usuually don't open until mid July.

Quote:
Looks like I have to spend some time tonight looking at my maps to see
just where this loop is. I heard the old motorway is probably big bike friendly, what about the rest of the loop you laid out here? What time of year is all this usually open?
2000 KLR, 2002 KLR, 1993 BMW K100LT
KLR/Mikuni VM38 Report
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #33
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 277
Anything planned?

So it looks like a lot of old pharts (and some younger ones) are following this thread and things are going to happen later this year - but - everywhere I look around here it's white.

Is there anything being looked at for the March/April timeframe? I just got the Beemer running yesterday and the Honda is on tap for today.

I could certainly be convinced, doesn't have to be local (Idaho) in fact I don't see how it could be.

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #34
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Looks like I have to spend some time tonight looking at my maps to see
just where this loop is. I heard the old motorway is probably big bike friendly, what about the rest of the loop you laid out here? What time of year is all this usually open?

I've done it on a KLR and 800 GS. It is all big bike friendly.

It is a 2 day ride. I like to stay at the Cayuse airstrip campground.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #35
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny View Post
...everywhere I look around here it's white.

I'm having that same trouble, and every time I look in the mirror, it gets worse.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #36
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
So it looks like a lot of old pharts (and some younger ones) are following this thread and things are going to happen later this year - but - everywhere I look around here it's white.

Is there anything being looked at for the March/April timeframe? I just got the Beemer running yesterday and the Honda is on tap for today.

I could certainly be convinced, doesn't have to be local (Idaho) in fact I don't see how it could be.

4r

Check out the Crooked River Campout threat-I'll try to post a link when I get to a real computer. Late March just south of Prineville.

Weather could easily still be dog-doo though . . .

ORexpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #37
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
I've done it on a KLR and 800 GS. It is all big bike friendly.

It is a 2 day ride. I like to stay at the Cayuse airstrip campground.
I would like to do that and have planned to a couple of times, with work and fires getting in the way. Maybe this is the year.

For the ride I want to do I have been trying to round up a driver to meet a group of riders at the end of each day for a weeks ride. Much better camping and riding ( only packing a day pack) , and no need to hit gas stations. Chairs in camp! So far acouple of maybes. Pay for the gas of the truck. If I find someone it will be something along the lines of the best of montana route but 2nd weekish of july.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #38
Idarider
R1200GS

Quote:

4r
Central Washington is interesting this time of year, if you have a heated coat for the early part of the day there is plenty or riding around here. Sorebutt usually does Lolo pass starting about now.
Getting here over the McCall area might be a little puckery. Camp in my basement if you like.
We will be having lunch at the botom of Rattlesnake grade ( Oasis Restuarant) on Saturday ( a bit cold on top) but 64 here in the valley.

Idarider screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 12:54 AM
Idarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #39
3horsepack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Retired Riders

Hello! Have been following your thread and would like to put my hat in with you all. I'm on the Idaho side just North of Boise and am new to the Adventure riding. Currently going thru the new to me 96 1100GS in preparation for the '13 riding season. Have a C90 Suzuki 1500 also so street runs and dirt are all ok to me. Look forward to meeting some on the trail this year and enjoying the fun.
3horsepack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #40
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarider View Post
I would like to do that and have planned to a couple of times, with work and fires getting in the way. Maybe this is the year.

For the ride I want to do I have been trying to round up a driver to meet a group of riders at the end of each day for a weeks ride. Much better camping and riding ( only packing a day pack) , and no need to hit gas stations. Chairs in camp! So far acouple of maybes. Pay for the gas of the truck. If I find someone it will be something along the lines of the best of montana route but 2nd weekish of july.
The problem of a pick up following is most good motorcycle roads are too rough for a pickup unless you want to beat the crap out of it. Plus the motorcycles are so much faster on forest roads that you would have to wait a long time for the pickup to catch up.

Now if the pickup was driven by the Swedish Bikini Team it would be worth waiting for.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #41
Idarider
R1200GS

Quote:
The problem of a pick up following is most good motorcycle roads are too rough for a pickup unless you want to beat the crap out of it. Plus the motorcycles are so much faster on forest roads that you would have to wait a long time for the pickup to catch up.

Now if the pickup was driven by the Swedish Bikini Team it would be worth waiting for.
No one said a pickup following. That would be stupid, you are correct. The rig goes via pavement routes and is/was waiting at the camp spot for several hours, picking up more gas each day and anything else needed in town. No having to pack each day, just pile everything into totes and throw it in the pickup.
All the things that are hard to take on the bike: chairs, pillows, ice, steaks, lots of wine and whiskey, heavy tools, lots of water, no worry about gas statons, blankets, towels , large lanterns, fire wood, tarps. shower, fishing gear...

And a fifty pound lighter bike to ride.

Idarider screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 01:52 AM
Idarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #42
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarider View Post
No one said a pickup following. That would be stupid, you are correct. The rig goes via pavement routes and is/was waiting at the camp spot for several hours, picking up more gas each day and anything else needed in town. No having to pack each day, just pile everything into totes and throw it in the pickup.
All the things that are hard to take on the bike: chairs, pillows, ice, steaks, lots of wine and whiskey, heavy tools, lots of water, no worry about gas statons, blankets, towels , large lanterns, fire wood, tarps. shower, fishing gear...

And a fifty pound lighter bike to ride.
You make camping sound almost fun enough to actually do.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #43
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

I don't know too many places that are a good ride that a pickup can get there the same day. There are lots places that you might ride 150-200 miles that a pickup would have to go 500 miles to get there. Plus you have the problem of running into a problem where you can't get through a route because of down trees or washouts. Then you can't hook back up with the pickup and they have all your gear.

I know more places where you can set up camp in a central location and come back to it each night. You can also many times come out and stay in a motel.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #44
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
I don't know too many places that are a good ride that a pickup can get there the same day. There are lots places that you might ride 150-200 miles that a pickup would have to go 500 miles to get there. Plus you have the problem of running into a problem where you can't get through a route because of down trees or washouts. Then you can't hook back up with the pickup and they have all your gear.

I know more places where you can set up camp in a central location and come back to it each night. You can also many times come out and stay in a motel.
The latter sounds interesting, though this summer's "riding calendar" is starting to get kinda full--and I only retired a month ago!

ORexpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #45
Idarider
R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
You make camping sound almost fun enough to actually do.
Yes, almost. A 2 1/2" thick air pad helps too.

The ratio is more like 300 to 150 or less and it does work for most of the routes near here. See you later today.