Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
Don't listen to the naysayers. Yes, it vibrates. Yes, it is hard to ride. Yes, it drinks fuel. And, yes, it is stupid on several levels. But it also never fails to have me laughing out loud inside my helmet. So much fun it should be illegal. Oh, wait a second.......

Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
wow. impressed by the answers.
I'm talking about a Honda crf 450r or any four stroke like it.

I understand that the gearing is short and running highway speeds equals being in the red zone constantly. but let's say I ride it slower so that the engine is not maxed out in the rpm department.
How far do you intend to go on your CRF450R? Having toured Europe quite a bit ... it looks to me like you'd have to ride down to Southern Spain ... or Morocco to find legal trails to ride.

Where can you ride in Belgium besides on a PAY to USE Moto Cross track?
Is there extensive open land there to ride on?

There are lots of reasons why your RACE bike (key word: RACE) is not good for longer street rides. Not only are you likely over revving the motor but since your machine has no Cush Drive cushion system ... you may be stressing the gear box as well. Then there is the comfort issue, luggage and all the other trappings of making a bike street and travel ready.

The CRF450R is a GREAT off road bike. Of course early ones had serious top end problems ... and worse. Different valve kits are common. Newer CRF's seem to be holding together better. I love that bike but bought the Yamaha because they hold together. Keep in mind that HONDA recommend
a complete rebuild on that bike at something like 25 or 30 hours, (IIRC).

In '07 I did a two week Baja ride with 5 of 6 other guys. The only bike that did not make this 2000 mile, mostly off road ride, was the poor guy on the CRF450R. Cam follower bearing in the top end cam apart near Bahia de Los Angeles, trashed the valve gear. Hitched a ride in an empty trailer. Lucky.

But the WR250F and 2 WR450F's both made the trip. The WR's were revving like mad on our paved road sections. Not happy ... and we were only going 50 to 55 mph! (about 80 kms) My old school Honda XR250R with it's wide ratio 6 speed, was better on the roads. Cruised comfortably at 60 mph without over revving. Off road, the "real" dirt bikes
took off ... never saw them! Much better than my poor little XR.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 861
Arrrgghh!!!

I typed out a very long, drawn out response and then my computer froze, so you will have to settle for my cut-and-paste response from another thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I dual sported my crf450r for a couple years and everything everyone here has stated pretty much sums it up. In 2 years I rode 12,000+ miles/400+ hours and went through 2 pistons and 1 crank/rod. I replaced the valves with kibblewhites the first week I had the bike (I bought it used) and they never needed adjustment after that. I exploded a clutch and had to replace the basket and hub with it (racing sand drags.) Overheating was always a problem (more so after I bored/stroked to 512cc) and the thing that finally fixed it was to weld tabs on the right side radiator and install an EXC fan. With the close ratio tranny on the R you pretty much have to swap sprockets around if you want to hit the highway and then some tight singletrack. I ran 14/47 in the desert and for longer rides (40+ miles of highway) and it still felt buzzy just lingering at a constant RPM, when I got to the trail I would swap the 14 for a 12 and it was manageable. It really would benefit from a cush drive hub or even a slipper clutch for street use as it always seemed to bark/skid the tire from quick up/down shifts, but the stock hub never broke on mine. I ultimately ended up selling my 450r for something with e-start and a 6 speed and the only time I've missed it is in long whoop sections or when I have to pick my 690 up! It was definately the most fun bike I've ever owned, but an ideal dual sport it was not.

The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Considering the mileage covered I'm thinking you did damn good on your CRF 12,000 is huge on that bike.

Nonetheless, no motocross bike for dual sport for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
i'm not in the planning stages of a trip with that crf. I'm trying to wrap my head around the problems and weak points of that or a similar bike.

I have no or very little experience working on a bike and I'm learning with every reply.

@adv grifter
what year is an early crf?

I've heard that the newer (injected) versions have a lot of starting issues. but that's just one case
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #21
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
Orange MX bikes start with a button. But, if you don't have a lot of experience working on motorcycles, you need to think hard about this before traveling on an MX bike. They are full on racing machines not slightly less bulletproof dual sports.

MX bikes require spotless air filters and fresh oil. Plus you ride one knowing that you will be doing top end work at relatively short intervals. There is just no getting around the need for maintenance. You need to consider what that means for garage time.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #22
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I covered 10,000 miles of combined single track, dual sport, and adventure riding on a 2007 WR450.

The WR cruised fine at 70mph with 15/50 gearing. My only concern was lack of a cush drive. I changed oil every 500 miles. Only had to do one valve adjustment at about 7,000 miles.

The WR's have a nice 5 speed wide ratio transmission. 1st gear was extra low for the tight stuff, and 5th gear would pull 95mph on the street.

I have since sold off my WR, and now have a 2012 KTM 690. The 690 is more dualsport/adventure oriented, and less capable in tight knarly single track.

All my friends who rode CRF450r's seemed to have valve-train and starting issues. CRF450x's s did much better.
zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #23
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,463
a cush drive is definitely a beautiful thing.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #24
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
One trick, if not mentioned already, is to just let off the throttle every so often, or bump the kill switch every so often. It seems to be a 2t thing, but I do it with my thumper too when I am running WFO for long periods.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #25
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
i'm not in the planning stages of a trip with that crf. I'm trying to wrap my head around the problems and weak points of that or a similar bike.
I have no or very little experience working on a bike and I'm learning with every reply.
@adv grifter
what year is an early crf?
I've heard that the newer (injected) versions have a lot of starting issues. but that's just one case
Early to me means 2005 to 2007? Just guessing here really. I've no idea about starting issues. The X version is much better if any road use is planned. I would buy a WR450 ... lasts longer, better on road, nearly as good off road ... or a KTM450 EXC if you can afford it.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
One trick, if not mentioned already, is to just let off the throttle every so often, or bump the kill switch every so often. It seems to be a 2t thing, but I do it with my thumper too when I am running WFO for long periods.
Yep! I always did that on my Two Strokes when Desert riding in wide open spaces. On four strokes I do the same ... but I just snap the throttle shut once in a while. Kicks OIL up into the top end, valve gear. NEVER, EVER let oil level drop on any Moto race bike. Keep at MAX level at all times ... especially if doing constant, high speed running.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider11 View Post
I covered 10,000 miles of combined single track, dual sport, and adventure riding on a 2007 WR450.

The WR cruised fine at 70mph with 15/50 gearing. My only concern was lack of a cush drive. I changed oil every 500 miles. Only had to do one valve adjustment at about 7,000 miles.

The WR's have a nice 5 speed wide ratio transmission. 1st gear was extra low for the tight stuff, and 5th gear would pull 95mph on the street.

I have since sold off my WR, and now have a 2012 KTM 690. The 690 is more dualsport/adventure oriented, and less capable in tight knarly single track.

All my friends who rode CRF450r's seemed to have valve-train and starting issues. CRF450x's s did much better.
I've seen lots of comments like this about the WR400-450 series. A couple of these bikes owned by fellow club members at our riding area seem to confirm the longevity and need for extensive service attention that other race bikes seem to need, especially when DS'ed or trail ridden extensively. What's the deal with these bikes? Did Yamaha do something special with them?...overbuilt?...understressed?...lower power? Too bad Yamaha doesn't back off the power a bit and beef this engine up to do some pavement duty like a WRR. It seems to get consistently high marks for durability and service attention.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #28
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Yep! I always did that on my Two Strokes when Desert riding in wide open spaces. On four strokes I do the same ... but I just snap the throttle shut once in a while. Kicks OIL up into the top end, valve gear. NEVER, EVER let oil level drop on any Moto race bike. Keep at MAX level at all times ... especially if doing constant, high speed running.
Kicks oil up into the top end..........How did you think/imagine that? If your 4 stroke needs the throttle turned off to lubricate the top end something is seriously wrong,it has an oil pump that is going all the time.
Turning off the throttle doesnt make it "kick" oil up to the top end.

I know about pulling the choke on a little with two strokes when going flat out in the desert,they even used to make kits to run the choke from the handlebars.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #29
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Don't listen to the naysayers. Yes, it vibrates. Yes, it is hard to ride. Yes, it drinks fuel. And, yes, it is stupid on several levels. But it also never fails to have me laughing out loud inside my helmet. So much fun it should be illegal. Oh, wait a second.......

I would LOVE to have a plate on my 200,not so much for road riding as for the fact that county dirt roads also require a lic plate and they could enforce it if they wanted in CA.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Would replacing the Ti valves with stainless steel ones help to prevent disaster?
Yeah Ive heard it can,a buddy on a CRF250X tried it and for some reason it didnt last any longer on the 250,maybe cause the poor bike needed to be revved to stratospheric revs just to maintain a decent trail pace,on the 4th re-build in 2 years he sold it and bought a KTM 2 stroke.
His son owns a Honda shop,he loves Hondas,but they have nothing to offer him unless he wants to go back to an old XR.