User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Drtridr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 6
Eh? Gearing for xr200r

I was wondering about gearing for my 01 XR200R. I'm trying to get rid of as much of the lowend bog as I can. I was also trying to figure out something to do with the suspension to stiffen it up. Any ideas??
Drtridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Flycast47
n00b

Not sure gearing will cure a low end bog. My '91 XR200R has stock 14 - 47 gearing and will pull from idle with no bog provided you do not open the throttle too rapidly. Check your carburetor needle position. It should be in the middle groove. What type of riding are you planning to do? Adjusting the gearing my still be advised if your riding is focused on either end of the speed range. Suspension stiffness can be adjusted somewhat in the front by adding fluid to the forks or by adding spacers on top of the springs. The rear can be adjusted by increasing preload on the spring or, if necessary, using an XR250R spring or higher rate custom spring.
Flycast47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,371
I had a 99XR200 aftermarket fork springs and a Works Performance shock and spring made a huge difference in the handling. If you are running the stock exhaust it is very restrictive , pull it off and look inside the header. You will see a large weld bead were the mounting flange is. Take a grinder and and grind the weld smooth it creates a lot of restriction that will cause a lot of low end bog. The XR250 and 400 both have this same problem. A UNI filter and cage should eliminate all the bog you have.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Drtridr OP
Adventurer

I mostly trail ride so I'm not worried about top speed. I'm gonna try the exhaust tip and see how much it helps. It doesn't bog off idle it's just sometimes when I'm riding with bikes slightly bigger I can't hammer it out of the turns without it bogging. I have to start rolling on it kinda early
Drtridr is offline   Reply With Quote