User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
JonXX OP
Infraction Collector

Oddometer: 333
Two 'tards and a TEbag...Layin' the SMackdown on the OBDR

I've never written a detailed ride report before, so bear with me as I wander through this. Hopefully Ridealot and R6Jon (why is he called R6Jon? He has an R6 that he used to live on before he bought his Husky) will chime in and add to this with their observations, comments, and mockery. Normally Tagalong, the Lovely and Gracious Mrs. Ridealot, would be with us shooting pics from pillion behind Ridealot, but not on this trip, and you'll be able to tell from our cro-magnon-like images. Together we're like the Four Amigos, the Four Musketeers, worshipers at the Church of Roostafari and Increasers Of Carbon Footprints. We ride hybrid bikes: They burn gas AND rubber, we've burned lots of both together up and down the west coast.

So anyway, a little more background without getting too mired in history: At the open house/Christmas party at Bill's Motorcycles Plus Husqvarna (they're FREAKIN' AWESOME, I love Bill, Bryon and Don, they take GREAT care of me and everyone that I've sent in to them) in Salem, OR, Ridealot spotted a sweetie of a 2008 TE610 (turns out it's Xcuvator's former bike). R6Jon, having already had an 09 SM610 for about a year at that point, and I, having had an 07 SM610 for three years, goaded him into sitting on it. Ridealot started grinning like Lewis Scolnik, leaned over and said "Whaddaya think?" I said "Dude...If I had the cash, THAT bike would already be at my house." He messed with it a bit, walked around and visited with Bill for a bit, then came back and yanked the tag off of it and said "This bike's sold. I wanna do some trail riding before I get too old." We all grinned ear to ear, another 610 "in the family" as it were. We all knew that fun was about to be had.

A few trail rides and lots of internet story-reading later, a plan was hatched by R6Jon: Hey, there's a trail that goes from California to Washington. Let's ride it! Uhhhhh OK! We were told by several people that we'd "never make it" on supermotos, that "you can't do any REAL offroading on 17's," and so on and so forth. Well, now we HAD to do it on our supermotos, on 17's. Hey, we'd been riding some pretty hairy local stuff and had no problems getting through it, how bad can a blast through the mountains and across the desert be?

Well, R6Jon and I had a challenge ahead of us, and no small one at that: Tires. Rears were no problem, it was the front that was the issue. Good traction tires that fit on our 17x3.5 front rims appeared to be unicorns. With much help from Bryon and Bill, and having given up on Conti to release the TKC80 in 120/70-17 in time for our planned departure, we settled for IRC VE33 100/100-17 rears for the front and Dunlop D606 rears. Ridealot of course had no problem finding tires for his TE. We bought a mess of other things and stuff, had a couple planning committee meetings, and bought another mess of stuff. We were ready.

"They" said we couldn't run the OBDR on supermotos...

JonXX screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 10:54 PM
JonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
JonXX OP
Infraction Collector

We decided to trailer the bikes south to Lakeview, in part so that we wouldn't burn off our knobbies on the way to the start and in part so that we'd have a support vehicle orbiting around the area. Call us wusses, but it was determined that a support vehicle was a good idea because it would REALLY SUCK to have a rock punch a hole in a case or some other stupid incapacitating thing ruin the ride for everyone so that the trip back and forth across the state could be made to rescue a bike. Ridealot's dad, Le Geeze, got the nod as support driver and destination scout. He'd meet us at certain points and at the end of each day.

I got all packed up on Friday night June 22nd, so that all I had to do was wake up at oh my god o'clock to meet Ridealot and R6Jon at Ridealot's house in Salem, where we'd load up in Ridealot's rig and take off. I was so excited that I didn't latch my trailer down, and while loading my bike slammed the trailer tongue into the liftgate of my Explorer. I texted the guys with a pic of it and said "Well I got the first fuckup out of the way, now we can go!" I might have been just a little excited. I left for Ridealot's the next morning on time, and, naturally, halfway to his house I realized that my riding jacket was still hanging on my door. Did I mention that I might have been a little excited to go? So, true to form, I was an hour late to Ridealots, which actually made me early (for me).

Loaded up and ready to go

Rolling southbound, ain't those bikes purty?

We arrived in Lakeview and settled into our motel Saturday evening. Ridealot's bike hadn't been this far from home for a while, and needed its security blanket over night.

There may or may not be a video that appears here, I shot a lot of video with my GoPro, but my editing software is being wonky and it looks like Fido's ass when I put it on YouTube. Trust me, it's funny. Especially if you were there.

We scoped a little Mexican joint close to the motel, and had our evening meal. The seemingly traditional markers of the official beginnings of adventures past has been R6Jon two-fisting margaritas, and the tradition continued.

We turned in for the night, full of anticipation and excitement for the fun to be had in the days forthcoming.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
JonXX OP
Infraction Collector

Ride day one, BEGIN!

We left out of Lakeview, headed for California at oh my god o'clock in the morning (there's a recurring theme here, R6Jon and Ridealot are early risers, I'm allergic to morning). Not too far into CA we made our turn into the hills. The pavement quickly ended (YAAAAY!) and turned to a nice pit run-exposed hardpack one lane wide. We blasted up the hill and found a remaining marker! At least we knew we weren't lost.

We rode along from the top of the hill through Dismal Swamp (on top? ok) and into high desert scrub. There's lots of this. We were met around several turns with stunning wide open vistas of desert sage and the odd COW!!! in the trail. Then over another hill and another corner we'd be overlooking a hidden lush valley for pasture.

We completed our first loop and met up with Le Geeze back in Lakeview around 11 am. I saw these old snow cats and thought they were cool.

We topped off fuel, checked gear, and headed for our northern destination for the night.

A couple of hours out of Lakeview we stopped for a rest and inspected this cabin along the road.

Not long after passing the cabin, we came to our first (of many to come) wire gate.

A couple of hours later, the GPS's sent us up a road that looked promisingly to climb this hill, but we were thwarted by a locked steel gate with a sign that read "sensitive electronics, please stay out." Scratching our heads, we turned back down to a large intersection for a rest and a snack and a game of duelling GPS's.Two identical units with identical settings, both with the same routes loaded, five feet apart and they disagree on which way to go? Another theme of the trip! Hey, it's an adventure, right?

The weather sure sucked that day.

Another hour or so later and another comparison of Google Maps (I was kind of disappointed in a way that we had such awesome phone and data service in such seemingly remote areas) with the GPS route.

A couple of hours later we made our destination for the night. R6Jon had booked us for the night at the Currier Guard Station. An old-school ranger station, there's no electricity or water, but a propane stove, furnace and lighting and enough bedspace for the four of us.

I sure wish he could have found us someplace nicer to stay for the night. I mean geeze, at least find someplace with some nice scenery.

R6Jon, happy to be off of his SM for the day

I'm not really complaining too much about being done for the first day.

Ain't they purty, all lined up in the corral.

What a beautiful meadow; we figured it would be ripe with critters coming out to much around sundown, there just couldn't not be deer and elk all over the area. The guestbook said that a wolf had been sighted across the meadow the day before, I really hoped that he might still be in the area and we might see him.

We figured that the Pile of Rocks was a subtle hint that we weren't supposed to build a fire in the pit; there was an official USFS fire ring installed. Some dinner, a few beers, some tinkering with the bikes, a couple of games of horseshoes and we were in bed.

Mileage for the day: About 160.

JonXX screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 11:05 PM
Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 417
Thumb Two 'tards and TEbag!

A trailer incident (that ended well), one bike wearing a security blanket and the other two running rear tires up front And two fistin' margaritas all on the first page... This should be good!
I'm in!
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Awesome!!!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
SpencerB
n00b

Oddometer: 5
In.

Do you have more info on the route itself? Google maps, gps points, etc? Haven't heard of it before.
SpencerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,678
Thumb In

My buddy rides a TE610, I had to send him the pic of the S/M Knobbies.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
In.

Do you have more info on the route itself? Google maps, gps points, etc? Haven't heard of it before.
If you type in OBDR (Oregon BackCountry Discovery Route) you will find everything you want to know about it. We bought a disc from TrekNow that had the GPS route. We also had maps with us of the route, but we never used the maps. There are so many turns onto roads that are basicly just goat trails that I couldn't imagine doing the route only using maps.
Ride-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

This last winter when we first started talking about doing this ride I had to think about it for awhile. I have a BMW GS that I knew I would not ride on a route like this. I like that bike way to much to destroy it on a week long dirt ride. So I needed a street legal dirt bike. The Husky TE610 would fit the bill.

The next thing I had to think about was if I could make the ride. Riding offroad for 8-10 hours a day for 6 or 7 days in a row is a workout. I've got a decade on the other guys and I'm pushing 50. I have a bum knee, and the other one isn't worth a shit. And just a couple of months before I had been walking around a hospital in one of those stupid assless gowns they make you wear after having a heart attack.

After careful consideration for a good 3 or 4 minutes I decided HELL YA I'm in! I'll act my age after I'm dead. I mean hell, what could possible go wrong.

On the first day of riding the other two didn't see this log cabin off to the side so they keep going. I had to circle back and get a picture of it. Wonder what the history and story of this place is.

Sometimes the route would be on what I would call the road less traveled. And sometimes we would be making our own way. I think we might have been off the main trail here.

And ya our first nights camp could have had worse scenery to look at. R6Jon also learned a valueable lesson that night. Bet he won't be playing horse shoes in flip flops again anytime soon.

Ride-a-lot screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 07:03 PM
Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
mike,p
WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 750
IN
mike,p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
smjon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Well I don't know who came up with the idea for this week long rick roll on two wheelers but I sure had fun.

I was on cloud 9 when we finally go the show on the road. The only bad thing is we had a day in the truck to get to Lakeview before the party even started the next day. I don't want to give to much away but here are the before and after pictures. You think we had any fun?

smjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
JonXX OP
Infraction Collector

Ride day two, BEGIN!

Have you ever slept in one room with three other guys, one of them being 74? Me neither . Le Geeze was interested in testing the furnace to make sure it actually put out its rated 150,000,000 BTU's. I can tell you, with authority from the top bunk, that it does. We managed to convince him that it would be ok for the furnace to be on "1" or "2" over night.

I guess something happens to you when you get old, because Le Geeze got up and started stirring around at holy fuck o'clock in the morning. I squinted out the window and, while it was getting light, the sun wasn't even up yet. Ah geeze! At that point Ridealot and R6Jon started stirring, a few minutes of debating with whether or not to pull my sleeping bag over my head or go ahead and get up and I decided what the hell, just as well get up, I'm not going to get back to sleep. None of us had planned to start that early, but we decided what the hell, no point in waiting around, and we were on the bikes and rolling by...gulp...7 am.

We wandered from the Currier Guard Station toward our next destination, finding logging roads (some old, some newer) that connected forest service roads across the hills.

We popped out of the woods and onto a well-travelled gravel road and headed up the hill. All of a sudden the world disappeared!

I think this is Silver Lake.

Apparently people crazier than us fling themselves off of this cliff and glide down and land in the crop circles below us.

Rolling on, an hour or two later we took a turn up another hill and went head to head with a government pickup. GEEZE the traffic just sucks up here! Apparently he'd been up servicing the tower bank that we were headed to.

We headed back down the hill and out the narrow gravel speedway road headed to the next section, which promised to be more off-roady two track across the desert. We debated for a bit about whether or not we could make it to Christmas Valley on the fuel we had, and we decided that the margin for error was too narrow (either that or we weren't confident in our combined math skills). Since there was fuel in the town of Silver Lake only 17 miles of pavement away, we figured we'd best not pass up the relatively close refuel point. On the way to Silver Lake, we passed a group of seven bikes that we figured must be headed to where we'd just come out. A couple DRZs, a Killer or two, at least one XR, I think a Strom of some version, and an F650GS single.

While gassing up, we spotted a shady spot in the grass across the street and decided to have lunch. R6Jon had scored us a case of MRE's and I'd packed six of them into my Giant Loop Coyote bag (yo, Wachs! Love it!). Have you ever watched people eat MRE's that never have before? It's pretty entertaining. Ridealot and R6Jon were pleasantly surprised at how much food they had in them, plus all the accessory stuff that comes with them. Maybe not awesome, but I think they're a HELLUVA lot better than the dehydrated salted alder chip meals that you get at the outdoor stores.

17 miles back up the pavement, and it was back on the trail. It was a quick, fun two track with the odd babyhead boulder thrown in just for fun. Ridealot and I stopped at this nice meadow overlook. We heard R6Jon coming and Ridealot threw himself on the ground on the hillside, and I stood over him. R6Jon screeched to a halt and shut off his bike, and we couldn't stand it any more and started laughing our ass off. With an exclamation of "YOU FUCKERS!!!" R6Jon fired up and took off down the trail. We mounted up and followed after a couple more pics.

The track eased off and got more sandy and speedy, we crossed a couple of small dry lakebeds and zoomed up the trail, making good time. I wondered when or if we'd see the group that we'd passed on the highway. We came up in elevation ten or fifteen feet, and it got rocky again. Around a bend and the trail was suddenly filled with bikes. One of their group had suffered a flat, and they were in the middle of repairing it. We chatted with them for a brief moment, bid everyone a shiny side up ride, and moved along at a brisk pace up the trail.

Our pace was brisk enough that Ridealot discovered a new way to open the wire fence gates: Just blast through it. When I came up on him with his bike on its side, slightly tangled in the gate, I had an instant flash of OH SHIT OH FUCK. A couple of years ago a friend of ours' GSXR had literally broken in two on a bend in the road, sending him sliding into a barbed wire fence which caused him fatal damage. I had myself a little moment there, but it was quickly obvious that Ridealot was A-OK and my seat cushion reappeared in its factory installed location.

His bikes left rear turn signal, however, became the first casualty.

We looked around there for a short bit for the liberated turn signal, but couldn't find it. It was determined that it probably came unbolted and fell off, a not-uncommon occurrence with these bikes; shit just randomly falls off. Fuckin' Italians.
While sitting at the gate for a quick rest, we took the opportunity to shed our jackets. It was warm enough and we were working enough that we were starting to overheat. Once again I was happy with my Coyote bag, the top straps were plenty long enough to tie down my bulky Scorpion Commander jacket and Ridealot's cold weather liner. The other group completed their flat repair and passed us while we were at the gate.

A fair bit down the trail, I saw Ridealot's tail section jumping around wildly and I flagged him down to stop. The zip ties had given up in a couple miles of offroad thrashing, and a stouter solution was needed. He robbed a bolt and nut from his license plate and resecured his subframe extension. I commented that I had a full and complete euro bolt kit...In the pickup.

Taking the lead up the trail, it started following the power transmission towers. Around a couple of bends and over a hill, a threesome of pronghorns ran across the trail 20 yards ahead of me. I slowed and got my GoPro turned on, but they disappeared over a small rise next to the trail. Downhill another 100 yards, I looked to my left and holy crap, there were eight or ten of them running parallel to the trail, almost matching my speed. I did my best to get them on camera, and I did, but the dang GoPro's 170 degree field of view makes a man at 100 yards look like he's a mile away.

JonXX screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 09:24 PM
Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
JonXX OP
Infraction Collector

Heading out of the scrub, our destination Christmas Valley, we came off of trail and turned onto really fast, well maintained gravel. It wasn't a very long hop and we were in Christmas Valley where we met Le Geeze and had a snack, a rest, visited with the other group of bikes, and enjoyed some cold Gatorade and water from the back of the pickup.

We also took the opportunity to more closely inspect Ridealot's bike. Uh-oh. The infamous Subframe Extension Crack! Ridealot determined that he was done packing fuel, and doing some quick math in our heads we figured that if we needed to dump reserve fuel, we'd each have a gallon between the two remaining 1.5 gallon cans, and that would get us at least 40 miles further. My bike, being carbed and at elevation, was not getting the superior fuel economy that I was accustomed to. It wasn't a problem though.

Bodies and bikes refueled, we headed out of Christmas Valley, destination the Christmas Valley sand dunes. Before we hit the dunes proper, we stopped to consult GPS and have a quick rest and drink. To the right of this pic there are a couple of folks on quads laughing their asses off at us and certainly exclaiming "what do those dumbshits think they're gonna do on the sand with THOSE?!?"

Well, we're pretty sure we're gonna do this with "those."

Not long after leaving the Christmas Valley dunes, we entered the infamous Rock Garden. This was the section we were probably most concerned with, we really didn't want to have tire problems so we ran the route south to north so that our tires would be fresher for this section. I think we're all glad we did that. It was really fun as hell, but grueling nonstop volcanic babyhead rocks everywhere. It was like riding up a dry high Cascades creek bed. We definitely used our suspensions, both on the bikes and on us. I was really tough for me to get a rhythm going through this section and carry much speed; a lot of mentality came into play, not the least of which was that I'd been told so many times that "you can't do that on 17's" that the last thing I wanted to do was taco a rim on a rock and prove them bastards right. Nor did I want very much to whack that huge 330mm front brake rotor on a rock and have an issue there.

We came upon the group of seven stopped again, but this time it wasn't a flat; there were yellow BMW parts splattered all over the trail. AWW DAMMIT. That looked pretty bad. The rider had hurt himself, but very fortunately not in a major way and was mobile. His bike, however, was pretty trashed and bent up. A few large rocks had clearly had their way with it

Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup, learned my lesson on day two. Don't be gawking at the scenery for too long, ya never know where they are going put a fence. I saw it coming and locked the brakes. I knew I was gonna stop about 2 feet past the gate so it was just like sliding into a base in baseball. SAFE! Didn't do my shorts any favors, but the bike was fine.

More day two pics.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonXX View Post
Not long after leaving the Christmas Valley dunes, we entered the infamous Rock Garden. This was the section we were probably most concerned with, we really didn't want to have tire problems so we ran the route south to north so that our tires would be fresher for this section. I think we're all glad we did that. It was really fun as hell, but grueling nonstop volcanic babyhead rocks everywhere. It was like riding up a dry high Cascades creek bed. We definitely used our suspensions, both on the bikes and on us. I was really tough for me to get a rhythm going through this section and carry much speed; a lot of mentality came into play, not the least of which was that I'd been told so many times that "you can't do that on 17's" that the last thing I wanted to do was taco a rim on a rock and prove them bastards right. Nor did I want very much to whack that huge 330mm front brake rotor on a rock and have an issue there.
Miles and miles of this. Fun as hell, but also a lot of work picking which rock to plow into next.