Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
This was discussed a few years ago, and some of us, me included, found the RAM attachment to be too stiff and had the opposite problem. It was fairly hard to flex the piece that held the GPS in place, and for some people, having to muscle this piece would cause it to crack. I had to file a bit of material from this piece to make it easier to put in/ take out the GPS. No way was mine going to fall out.

I wonder if they have changed this mount over the years.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,022
Broke one in a pretty nasty wreck (ended up splitting the GPS in half), other than that it's done fine on moto and snow.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
docjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I've broken two off-road and had the gps fall out of the cradle a couple times on rough trails. Lucky I noticed soon enough and I was able to retrace my route and find the GPS both times. After the second incident I spent the extra money and bought the touratech mount. Haven't had a problem since.
docjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjay View Post
I've broken two off-road and had the gps fall out of the cradle a couple times on rough trails. Lucky I noticed soon enough and I was able to retrace my route and find the GPS both times. After the second incident I spent the extra money and bought the touratech mount. Haven't had a problem since.
That's why I tether my GPS to the bike/sled. Saved my GPS already. Loop the wrist strap around the bars.
Helmet cam's the same way, leash loops around a button that holds the cheek pad in. Had a mount fail on that and the leash kept the camera from diving into the snow, never to be seen again.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
THUMPER0475 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I've been riding with the Garmin 60 series for more than 6 years primarily offroad. I have heard of others losing the GPS unit out of the Ram cradle so tie the lanyard around the unit and cradle to keep it from being flung off the bike if ejected from the cradle. I have also broken 2 RAM cradles and countless ram mount bolts via crashing. A few years ago I awitched over to this gents custom cradles for the 60 Series:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=stovebolt

And after 3 years of continuous off roading and crashing have yet damage it and its still going strong.

Stovebolts cradles are the bomb from my crashing perspective.
Ftb, was photo taken in Thailand? Looks gorgeous. What kind of elevation?
THUMPER0475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
A buddy claimed his fell off twice, i was there the first time and it wasn't the mounts fault. But, just to be safe, i hooked a safety tether to mine (a piece of heavy ocean fishing leader), well here I am 5500 miles later and no issues. I had the ram Etrex mount for over 35,000 miles and no issues, so I'm pretty happy with mine. Still, the fishing leader is a pretty nice safety tether.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER0475 View Post
Ftb, was photo taken in Thailand? Looks gorgeous. What kind of elevation?
Looking through my pics searching for one of Stovebolts and that was the first one that showed his great mount. That pic is actually in Laos along the eastern border in the hills between Vietnam and Lao. No super high elevations in the whole region, its around 3,000 feet.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
I've had 60csx's fall out of cradles a few times riding offroad (and the last time the 60csx ended up with a broken screen).

Got a 62 now, with a different cradle mount and had no problems with it...
as previously mentioned....
adding a rubber band and looping the lanyard over a mirror prevents this aggravation.....when offroad....

simple and effective for a cheap RAM mount cradle....
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
NinjaRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
My 60csx RAM cradle failed

My cradle cracked right below the top attachment point, resulting in the 60csx popping out, dropping behind the handlbars
and down behind the front tire before I fully realized what was happening. It hit the pavement at about 40 mph. No damage
to the 60 csx other than a couple scratches. I now have the GPS tie wrapped into what is left of the mount, which is a
slight pain because I need to remove the mount with the GPS when I take it off.

The GPS / cradle was mounted on a RAM ball mount on the top bar behind the windshield on my 2008 GSA. I used the
mount / GPS intermittently for a couple years before the failure and drive mostly on pavement with occasional excursions
on dirt / gravel roads.
NinjaRider is offline   Reply With Quote