User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
65bellett OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Enfield Bullet 350 Sidecar Build

O.k guys I will start this thread with an admission "I am a masochist who enjoys riding a small capacity old fashioned bike as far and as wide as I can". My 350 Bullet has been a long term project and I think I have finally got it to the point where it is a reliable and fun form of transport so it must be time to whack a Hack on it

My plan at this stage is to build a light weight hack that will allow me to take my kids for a ride (1 at a time) as they are not legally allowed on the back of the bike until they are 8 years old and will also allow me to carry all of the necessities (and a few luxuries) on those longer trips. I understand that power will be a big issue with this outfit but my 350 is a long way from standard and as the Bullet was built for over 60 years there are a lot of larger engine choices if the bug bites and I want to go a bit faster.

So far I have had a bit of a play on the computer and made a bit of noise out in the shed and come up with a bit of a plan of what I want to do. All of the RHS I am using at the moment is 30mm x 30mm x 3mm. This material is fairly heavy but it is relatively cheap strong, and easy to work with.

I am very new to this sidecar building business and at this stage I am pretty much working it all out as I am going along. I have spent hours and hours going through the different build threads on here and have found them really helpful. I look forward to getting all of the answers to all of the difficult questions from you guys in the coming weeks and I also really want to hear your suggestions for the build.
65bellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
I am a masochist

Hoo Boy, I'm gonna follow this thread! Got two questions for you, what year is your bike and have you any solid build plans you can refer to or are you intent on re-inventing the wheel? Fun, fun!

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
OLDHIPPIE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
nice

lookin good man.
i have a 500 efi w a inder hack love it!!

Ride on
tom
OLDHIPPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
That's gonna be mighty cool!

Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
65bellett OP
Adventurer

Hi Old Hippie I would love to see a pic or two of your Rig. I love the look of the Inder Retro. LL75 as far as solid build plans are concerned....... I have solid ideas about the wheel base/track, how the sub frame will mount to the motorcycle and how the side car chassis will mount to the sub frame. As far as the bodywork is concerned and how the suspension will work.........well that is still under investigation.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
OLDHIPPIE
Adventurer

sure thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65bellett View Post
Hi Old Hippie I would love to see a pic or two of your Rig. I love the look of the Inder Retro. LL75 as far as solid build plans are concerned....... I have solid ideas about the wheel base/track, how the sub frame will mount to the motorcycle and how the side car chassis will mount to the sub frame. As far as the bodywork is concerned and how the suspension will work.........well that is still under investigation.
im not very computer savy but ill gladly email u any pics u want.
guess im way behind in the tech world lol

ride on
tom
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
OLDHIPPIE
Adventurer

what year

what year is ur 350??
Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
65bellett OP
Adventurer

The Enfield is a 1970 model but it has a lot of the modernish gear in it like twin leading shoe front brake and 12 volt electrics.

I got a little bit more done today. I still need to work out another mount point to connect subframe/rail into the front bottom bracket/engine mount. It all seems quite solid and looks as though it clears every thing it is supposed to but I am going to take it for a ride to work tomorrow just so I can give it a real world test.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
OLDHIPPIE
Adventurer

e mail me

bro email me at holloman.tommy7@gmail.com i will send u detailed pics of the mounts dealer installed
ride on
Tom
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 172

Those front motor mounts look like a good place to attach a bracket to support the lower front of subframe.

I'd also consider moving the whole subframe closer to the center of bike, less flex on the mounting points.

I'm not a big fan of the U-bolts around the frame for the upper front mount, put a lot of stress in a narrow area. If nothing else could you find a piece of tubing, say 3mm or thicker, large enough on the inside to wrap half way around the down tube to spread the load out?

One more idea. Use a section of the blue tubing as a spacer between the upper end of subframe and the down tube. This would put the threaded rod under tension load and less bending loads.

Guess I should be working on my XS400 subframe instead of telling you how to build yours!
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I imagine you have checked this out, but it looks like the brake pedal will interfere with your subframe. Do you have enough travel? (sorry if this is a stupid question)
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,465
I agree with kshansen. read his post carefully I may be out of line here and Hate to be critical but what you have there as it is will create issues. Sidecar outfits, no matter what they are made up of, tend to carry some precious cargos. Not only that but any failure no matter if it is from a manufactiurer or a homebuilt can cast a bad light on the whole sidecar world in many ways. Please feel free to give me a call if you wish..NO THIS IS NOT A SALES PITCH! I am only expressing a concern that may save you from isssues down the road. Maybe take OLDHIPPIE up on his offer in his post too.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
OLDHIPPIE
Adventurer

attach points

on my dealer installed the hack sub frame attaches to the front motor mount on bottom front and the uppre part of downtube in the rear its mounted at passenger peg and upper shock mount. i emailed 65bellett some pics
hope that helps

Ride on
tom
Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
Slade 330
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Wait

I see on your plan that you still have to finish mounts, so I will wait for the end result.
should work out fine with a light chair. Building a sidecar is not rocket science and the forces generated for general road use is not great. Start smashing it up and down desert tracks and you need to start thinking about all sorts of things and destructive forces. So you can build for intended purpose thats OK.
Slade 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Thumb

I agree with the others. Way too much dangle going on.
You're creating structure that is bound to flex.
Tuck it in as close as you can to avoid a hinge.

Here's what I did on my Greeves.. up front sandwiching the engine plates,

Your subframe doesn't have to be one piece, you just need four good points that will enhance and strengthen the bikes frame to create a unified structure.

Don in Nipomo
D.Bachtel is offline   Reply With Quote