ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,667
Suzuki DR650 Luggage Racks

Here are the new Suzuki DR650 luggage racks. I may add an additional smaller top rack to the product line if people would like a choice.

They're available now!

Of course, like all of my top racks, it is RotopaX Ready. The cross plate has holes with nuts welded to the underside for quick and easy installation/removal of a RotopaX Pack Mount.





The Rear Top Rack is 20" wide and 14" deep. It sits almost flush with the seat to keep weight low and to help prevent lower back injuries if you crash or slide off the back. I'll be adding turn signal mounts to the production racks.




The Side Luggage Racks are designed to hold the new Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddle Bags and bring the weight of any type of saddlebags or hard cases well forward of the rear axle for better handling and weight distribution. This make things a little tighter for a passenger, but I wanted to give solo riders a better rack system. They are tight to the bike, but still allow side panel removal without removing the racks.

__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 06:30 PM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,969
Oh check you out.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Oh check you out.


Hi Eakins, your thoughts on what DR riders need or prefer would be much appreciated! I know you have a lot of adventure riding experience with 'em.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post


Hi Eakins, your thoughts on what DR riders need or prefer would be much appreciated! I know you have a lot of adventure riding experience with 'em.
I really like how you moved the racks forward so the bags (several Wolfman options to choose from now) are closer to center as the DR is really a 1 man (or women) show kinda bike.

That rear rack is then nice and big to support a Wolfman dry duffel for camping and other gear. The only thing i'd love to see (if possible) is a way to tie in and support to that center bolt on the fender for added strength. Maybe a piece of attached tube that goes down into it the recess and then use a longer bolt.

The old ebay BBQ rack does this with flat plate and a nylon spacer in that spot. The reason i'd like to see this is because this rack can hold some heavy loads. If you look at the rear left attachment plate on a DR650, it's really just a thinner plate of material with so so welds. Enough weight and off-road riding is gonna snap that plate of and thus 1/4 of the mounts. I'm thinking that center mount will help carry some weight. Look at the pic bellow and see that center bolt on the flat plate. That connects down to the subframe so 5 points of strength. This is needed for any large DR rear rack IMO.

What's the solution for rear turn signals? Does your racks allow the factory grab rails to remain and thus a place for the turn signals? If not then you need some mounts on the rear rack for the turn signals. What about of the side racks alone are used? They they fit with the factory grab rails and also the oem rear rack?

Glad to see you did not tie the side & rear racks together, so people can mix and match your racks with others out there.

I can tell you are a one man show and have learned a ton about this whole process. You are producing a nice product.
I'm happy to see and support anyone who is making parts and gear for the DR650 as that's my bike of choice.

Thanks, Bill


__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 12:50 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alberta Rockies
Oddometer: 372
Dr 650 rack

Nice work, I am with Eakins on the need for center support on the rear rack similar to the Barbecue rack which I also own. My main reason for looking at alternatives to the Barbecue rack is I find at 23 1/2 inches its a little wider than I personally like although tough to beat for carrying a big duffel,tent,kitchen sink etc.... I am trying to lessen what I bring along and was hoping for similar dimensions to your DRZ 400E rack which will still allow for a small duffel on top of the fuel pack. You have put lots of thought into your products to allow for access to the bike keep up the great work!
Cheers from the Great White North
__________________
96 DR 650,,87 XL600V,89 DR 750 Big,77 Montesa Cota 247,77 TY 250,76 TY175,76 TL 250,75 CT90
KilgoreTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I really like how you moved the racks forward so the bags (several Wolfman options to choose from now) are closer to center as the DR is really a 1 man (or women) show kinda bike.

That rear rack is then nice and big to support a Wolfman dry duffel for camping and other gear. The only thing i'd love to see (if possible) is a way to tie in and support to that center bolt on the fender for added strength. Maybe a piece of attached tube that goes down into it the recess and then use a longer bolt.

The old ebay BBQ rack does this with flat plate and a nylon spacer in that spot. The reason i'd like to see this is because this rack can hold some heavy loads. If you look at the rear left attachment plate on a DR650, it's really just a thinner plate of material with so so welds. Enough weight and off-road riding is gonna snap that plate of and thus 1/4 of the mounts. I'm thinking that center mount will help carry some weight. Look at the pic bellow and see that center bolt on the flat plate. That connects down to the subframe so 5 points of strength. This is needed for any large DR rear rack IMO.

What's the solution for rear turn signals? Does your racks allow the factory grab rails to remain and thus a place for the turn signals? If not then you need some mounts on the rear rack for the turn signals. What about of the side racks alone are used? They they fit with the factory grab rails and also the oem rear rack?

Glad to see you did not tie the side & rear racks together, so people can mix and match your racks with others out there.

I can tell you are a one man show and have learned a ton about this whole process. You are producing a nice product.
I'm happy to see and support anyone who is making parts and gear for the DR650 as that's my bike of choice.

Thanks, Bill
Thanks Bill, I appreciate the excellent advice and support!

I agree 100% that adding a support in the center is something that needs to be done. All of my DR top racks will now have that feature. My R&D bike was taken home by the owner yesterday, so I'll have to see if he'll bring it back for me to use again.

I'll be adding mounts for turn signals to the top racks also. The owner of the R&D bike didn't want any because he's mounting some low profile signals directly to the fender.

My side rack top brackets bolt directly to the sub frame lugs for greater strength. The OEM grab rails could be added on top of them and I will provide a 1/4" aluminum spacer for the rear grab rail mount.

With the top rack installed, it would eliminate the grab rails altogether.

And yes, I'm learning something every day in this business!

Thanks, Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Nice work, I am with Eakins on the need for center support on the rear rack similar to the Barbecue rack which I also own. My main reason for looking at alternatives to the Barbecue rack is I find at 23 1/2 inches its a little wider than I personally like although tough to beat for carrying a big duffel,tent,kitchen sink etc.... I am trying to lessen what I bring along and was hoping for similar dimensions to your DRZ 400E rack which will still allow for a small duffel on top of the fuel pack. You have put lots of thought into your products to allow for access to the bike keep up the great work!
Cheers from the Great White North
Thanks KT, for the support and the suggestion to make a smaller rack for the DR! I am going to make a prototype very soon and post some pics on here. I'll offer both the large and small racks for the DR650. I agree the DRZ-E's 16.5"w x 14"d is a handy size without being too wide. I made one today for a customer's DRZ-S. He wanted something a little bigger than my current "S" rack.

Thanks, Tom
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,969
How about a larger version too to match the same wide width of the bbq rack?

Many miss the bbq rack because of this and they tour with medium and large Wolfman & Orlieb dry duffels. It's often said how the bbq rack is liked because it protects the rear (signals and muffler) of the bike when dumped. I've dropped my DR several times and the bbq rack has always taken the hit.

I & others use our DRs as dirt tourers and daily-riding dirt bikes only, not singletrack machines. We want a functional wide rack and don't care about it for daily riding as we're not squeezing in tight places. Then add hard bags people use and that wide rack is not wide at all.

this is my DR w/ bbq rack



here is an unknown owner's bike
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
How about a larger version too to match the same wide width of the bbq rack?

Many miss the bbq rack because of this and they tour with medium and large Wolfman & Orlieb dry duffels. It's often said how the bbq rack is liked because it protects the rear (signals and muffler) of the bike when dumped. I've dropped my DR several times and the bbq rack has always taken the hit.

I & others use our DRs as dirt tourers and daily-riding dirt bikes only, not singletrack machines. We want a functional wide rack and don't care about it for daily riding as we're not squeezing in tight places. Then add hard bags people use and that wide rack is not wide at all.
Bill, I've been hesitant to make a rack that wide because I think my 20" wide rack will hold even the largest dry bags well. The big 28" long bags would overhang the sides only by about 4". That really isn't much.

If I get enough requests for A BBQ size rack, I'll custom make them for anyone who wants one. Custom orders currently take two to three weeks to ship.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 10:14 PM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,667
These DR650 racks are in stock. Get yours today! http://www.moto-racks.com/DR650-buy-page.html
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,667
We're now offering mounting plates for attaching the RotopaX Pack Mounts. Carry extra fuel or water on your next adventure!

http://www.moto-racks.com/Side-Rack-...r-Rotopax.html


These are rough prototypes, but show what they are.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 10:15 PM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
Ballbearing
Adventurer
 
Ballbearing's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Indiana...Blah
Oddometer: 70
What I would like to do is use both hard and soft bags.

Will your side racks also accept Happy Trail teton panniers? From the pictures it appears that they might be located too close to the rider's position and a leg could get caught.

Thanks.
__________________
Jason
Ballbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbearing View Post
What I would like to do is use both hard and soft bags.

Will your side racks also accept Happy Trail teton panniers? From the pictures it appears that they might be located too close to the rider's position and a leg could get caught.

Thanks.
Hi Jason,

The boxes do not have to be centered on the racks. You could move them back a couple of inches. The oval loop is 13.25" long. Hope this helps. -Tom
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Ballbearing
Adventurer
 
Ballbearing's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Indiana...Blah
Oddometer: 70
OK, Thanks. I don't have the hard bags yet, I'm just weighing my options.
__________________
Jason
Ballbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbearing View Post
OK, Thanks. I don't have the hard bags yet, I'm just weighing my options.
You're welcome! If there's anything I can do for you just let me know. -Tom
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,667
Check out our DR650 Luggage Racks here: http://www.moto-racks.com/DR650-buy-page.html
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014