Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
toniguedes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Modular helmet recomendation

Hi,

Next May I will be visiting my son in USA and I would like to buy a new helmet, avoiding the extortionate prices charged here in Brazil ...

Currently I have one for everyday use (Xpeed XFC3000) but I hate its high level of noise and poor ventilation. I know I should wear ear protection, but can not get used to them.

I'm considering one of the options below:
a) Shoei Neotec - ~ 595 usd;
b) Nolan N104 - ~ 360 usd;
c) Schuberth C3 - ~ 650 usd.

I know that the experience with helmets relies heavily on combination rider/motorcycle/gear, beyond other factors, but I would be very happy to hear from you about your experience on them or any other good options.
toniguedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
The key is fit, no matter how 'good' or expensive a helmet is if it does not fit you right then it is a poor choice.

I recently went looking for a modular for touring to suppliment my shoei rf1100.

Tried a few models of Nolan 43 and 104 IIRC as well as a Schurerth and the shoei.

Did not get the same feel of quality with the Nolan as the others and after a few minutes it felt the least comfortable. I liked the other two about the same but went with the Shoei based on my past success with the RF110. The Shoei was a good bit cheaper, I did not think the Schuberth offered anything more for my money. I went with the same size on the modular as my FF but fell it is a bit tighter but that might just be the better neck seal.

I guess time will tell as I rack up some ride time with it this spring.

Waterboiler screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 06:40 PM
Waterboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboiler View Post
The key is fit, no matter how 'good' or expensive a helmet is if it does not fit you right then it is a poor choice..
so true ...
i have the n34 trilogy , i like it . its a replacement for the exo 900 which was GARBAGE .the exo broke 3 times on a cross canada trip... all within the first few months of owning it .
I really like the shark evoline 3st .. i almost wish i bought that instead of the nolan .. maybe next year ill get it .
Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Thumb Shoei Neotec

I have not tried on all of the others, but I have been VERY pleased with my Shoei Neotec. It is a solid, well built, finely crafted helmet. I ended up purchasing thinner cheek pads for a more comfy/customized fit. It flows a lot of air, yet is quiet, dry ad warm enough in the cooler temps. It comes with the PinLock face shield, with insert. this is my first experience with PinLock. I did not install it until this winter and it works wonderfully to eliminate fogging. Also comes with a removable chin curtain.

My only complaint is that I would like to have a smoked face shield, but none are available. (Yes, I realize that there is a flip-down internal visor, which is nice as well.)

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,031
I'm on my 2nd Nolan, an N90 that replaced the N102. I like it much better, quieter, better sun shade, seems lighter too. I tried the Multi-tec and could hardly wait to get out of it. I tried the Neo-tec and didn't want to go back to D rings. I tried the Schuberth and thought the price just didn't reflect in the helmet. I'll probably just stick with Nolans. ymmv.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
I'm on my 2nd Nolan, an N90 that replaced the N102. I like it much better, quieter, better sun shade, seems lighter too. I tried the Multi-tec and could hardly wait to get out of it. I tried the Neo-tec and didn't want to go back to D rings. I tried the Schuberth and thought the price just didn't reflect in the helmet. I'll probably just stick with Nolans. ymmv.
i wish they made the flip down sunshade polarized, it wouldnt be much more but it would be WAY better ..at least make a replacement polarized one. I would buy it in a heartbeat . the pinlock system works very good too on the n34 trilogy . The only thing i dont like about the pinlock it at night you get that double reflection coming through both lenses .
Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I just ordred a lemon yellow Neotech.. I have a Shoei Multi tec and that's also a great modular helmet.. The price on those has dropped since the Neotech was introduced..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsandbikes View Post
i wish they made the flip down sunshade polarized, it wouldnt be much more but it would be WAY better ..at least make a replacement polarized one. I would buy it in a heartbeat . the pinlock system works very good too on the n34 trilogy . The only thing i dont like about the pinlock it at night you get that double reflection coming through both lenses .

One thing about polarizing, they make some windscreens have some halo effect. Also, LCD's may not be visible. I had sunglasses with polarized lenses and they made for some weird effects. Could not see digital LCD readouts.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 395
I have the Nolan N-90 helmet and have worn it extensively in hot and humid conditions, as well as in cool weather. The fit and finish and comfort are nice (for me) and I have grown to prefer the chinstrap clip arrangement over traditional D-rings.

I wouldn't wear it at highway speeds for very long distances without earplugs as it is noisier than standard full-face helmets I've worn. Slower speeds, up to 60-70 kmph, without earplugs are tolerable. The pinlock feature and integrated sunvisor arrangement are nice features. Ventilation has been adequate for me in hot and humid temps. If you have a large protruding chin, it probably woudn't work for you.

The N-104 is a nice helmet, with a very large eyeport ( significantly larger than the N-90) and a more intuitively located control button for the sunvisor. Otherwise, while trying it on in a shop, it seemed quite similar to the N-90 for more money. It's possible that it is quieter or better ventilated than the N-90 but I don't know as I haven't worn it while riding.

I don't have any experience with the other helmets you're interested in.
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post

If you liked the 102 ..........the 104 is better in every way making the 102 and 103 obsolete.

As others have stated fit and comfort on your head is the most important feature, Schuberth is a great product but was like a torture device on my head.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,445
Fit, fit, fit.

Everything else is secondary.

That said, I have a Nolan head and I find Shoei helmets painful - I can't wear one for more than a couple minutes before the shape triggers a headache. If I buy another modular, it'll be an N104, I own and use a 103 now.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
motomandan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Modular

Tried them all . Hands down Shark Evoline III. Fits like an Arai. Great for putting comm set in. Do yourself a favor and check them out.
motomandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,942
The Nolans are great but evey year they go up and up in price and are now beyond what I'm willing to pay. MCN did a good evaluation a little while ago and there are many quality choices at more reasonable prices.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I've tried all 3 as well - when I was on a quest for a modular.

Nolan - actually very nice but just getting on the upper edge of quality vs price for me. It definitely felt less expensive than the others. Fit was right - on the large side. Sun shade was good and it was quiet for a flip up. Visor wouldn't stay up above 35mph or so, but that may have just been this particular helmet, and it was a little plasticky, but still a solid helmet. Great eye port - wide and tall.

Schuberth - top of the line build quality. Quiet and comfortable lining materials. Absolutely hated the placement of the chin strap - that metal buckle just dug into my neck and drove me crazy. Felt like the forehead area was rubbing - a common complaint on these. I think the version that is coming out soon - the C3 Pro - will address most of these things but it is really, really, really expensive.

Shoei Neotec - ok, so I'm a Shoei guy but I'm trying to be impartial. I think this is a great helmet. Good sun visor, good clear sheild that stays up when you want it to, excellent build and materials, quiet, etc. The only reason I don't still own this helmet is because it runs smaller than the Multitec (and other, older Shoeis) and even the 2XL was just too snug. It may have broken in eventually but I don't have that kind of patience... lol. Hard to beat this helmet, but again, it's really expensive.

As others have said though - fit is more important than just about any other factor....
Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
When I was looking for my first modular I tried on all the big name (and price) helmets . None fit my head to well . The one that fit me well and had the best internal sun visor I might add , was the Scorpion EXO 900 . The vents work well for me even riding in temps over 100 degrees . The internal sun visor covers most of my face when down and I found that it really helped keep my cheeks much cooler and didn't get sun burn riding into the sun . The other thing I love is that when riding on a sunny day and going through tunnels is way more safe . Flip it up or down in a second . Also customer support was excellent , I broke the lever to flip the chin bar up and they sent me a whole new chin piece without any hassle . Take a look at them and as said above , see if they fit you !
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote