User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
hardpackrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Leatt brace for daily commuting?

Okay, yes, i kno how absurd that post title sounds.

So...I will be commuting in nasty urban area soon, and trying to sort out my gear. because of a friend's tragic accident (spine injury, Harley, in Alaska), an just because I'm old, I'm seriously looking at Leatt adventure brace when I ride. I kno it's not in fashion, and I guess main thing is, storing it when u arrive.. there is the overkill aspect...the "pain" of putting it on/off, .. that there are not alot of jackets that are designed for it (except mouth watering KLIM adv jacket), but ...is it really overkill? Is there a difference between a get off in a muddy trail, tagging a tree, (most folks where them for moto/offroad), and a cager pulling out in front of you in a suburb for a lay down or over the hood get off? (uhm, yes, I'm aware that I am responsible for being always ready for that- [proficient motorcycling] ;-)

To me it's all about protecting yourself.. I'm just looking for thoughts on safety, experiences, and hearing about what equipment trade offs Individuals make, and why.

Can't remember seeing more than one or two Leatt's on the street, so maybe that answers my question, but I would like to hear from Leatt users,... as I am now personally aware of what can happen, how life can be different without one.

appreciate your thoughts...

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Look at the www.safermoto.com HitAir jackets/vests as a better commute option.Can even get the vests in hi viz colors!
Part of the system is an inflatable neck component to prevent/reduce spinal cord injury.
Easy on/off and easier to store,only one click in connection.

The MLV series vests are probably the best for commutes.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,591
I have been wearing my Leatt brace almost all the time including a couple of multi day rides that had lots of pavement and I hardly notice it now. It fits very well under my Klim jacket.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,700
I am a Leatt "success story". I wear mine, almost all the time. And, like Catalina, hardly notice it.

I have learned to do my blind spot check by looking down and to the left/right, instead of just left/right. It sounds kinda' contrary, but does seem to work for me.

There was a time, after my accident, when I didn't put-on my helmet without also wearing my Leatt. It's like a condom...better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Wear what you wish, and goodonya' for trying to take care of yourself...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
hardpackrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thx jr, i read the airbag thread, very informative (saw it today) I think it is a good product too, but not the same as the Leatt brace for spine. Catalina yes... agree, Warrior, so glad to hear... I agree and of course am totally on board for adventure trips, wknd rides etc. and you may have meant that you commuted with it, but that's what I'm trying to filter down to... commuters. I have a gut feeling there are few, tho I am feeling more and more that i would be one. Esp after hearing Warrior's survivor post.

one question.... i did not get the look "down and right" and down and left as opposed to just left or right. I'm guessing there's a blind spot tight and down... or is the Leatt restricting your view so that that is now how you're able to scan left and right. Sorry..didn't quite understand that comment.

thanks all, keep them coming.

commuters?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,124
I do not ride without offroad, and have tried it a few times around town. I do not have a jacket that works well with it, which could be one of the issues. But I hate the way it limits my ability to check blind spots since I can't really rotate my head when wearing it.
I know they make a street version, wonder if it might work better?
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
It fits very well under my Klim jacket.
Which jacket are you referring to?
My understanding is that only Klim's Adventure jacket is Leatt compatible.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
catalina38
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
Which jacket are you referring to?
My understanding is that only Klim's Adventure jacket is Leatt compatible.

ktm950se
Yes, the Adventure rally jacket, that was a big part of why I bought it. I found it on close out at a fraction of the original price. I am able to turn my head to check blind spots easily, but the brace prevents tilting the helmet very much by design.

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Yo might want to also look at the Troy Lee Designs Blais jacket. It is Leatt compatible. When I can get ahead, Thats what Im going to get. Its not that expensive either.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,164
There is other leatt compatible jackets .
Leatt have there own leatt adventure jacket.
Acerbis desertika ( which is really a cordura shell).
Melbourne axo jacket
Fox have one
Moto port jackets have options for leatt compatible .

There is also other neck braces that may be worth looking at . My leatt adv with shoei helmet is not restrictive at all - but omega make a brace and leatt have a street brace .
I have seen a thread for another brace allot like leatt but with more flexibility - cant remember the name .
Old 11-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpackrider View Post
...one question.... i did not get the look "down and right" and down and left as opposed to just left or right. I'm guessing there's a blind spot tight and down... or is the Leatt restricting your view so that that is now how you're able to scan left and right. Sorry..didn't quite understand that comment...

...commuters?

HPR,

I was leaving for work, today, when I posted. So, my response had a few holes in it.

To answer your inquiry...yes, I have commuted with the Leatt. And, as I posted, you get used to it...I would presume in the same manner as a rider who'd never worn a helmet, and then started to wear one. I also have a buddy who never rides without it (street, dirt, whatever).

As Catalina posted, the Leatt does limit neck movement (by design). So, I have found that normal range of motion is not to be expected. Don't get me wrong...it is not restrictive. It just limits over-extension of your natural range.

So, to try to explain...When I change lanes (to the left, for example), I have gotten used to using the left side of my chin to "push" the Leatt into my left clavicle. I can then turn my head more to the left, and check my blind spot. I don't know if that makes more sense. But, that is the best that I can describe it.

Mind you...that is MY method. I'm sure that others can offer their own experience(s)/methods...YMMV.

Stujamur did a fantastic job of listing the Leatt-compatible jackets. If you want something NOW, pick-up a Melbourne, at Atomic-Moto...

http://www.atomic-moto.com/AXO-Melbo...cket_p_42.html

For the price, it can't be beat. And, after owning it for awhile, you may find that it is all you need. As an added bonus, Brian (Atomic Moto) is an inmate, is very knowledgable, and takes great care of his customers (especially the ADV crowd).

I think your decision, to purchase a Leatt, is one that you WILL NOT regret. Good luck with whatever you choose...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
ObiWanJak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I commuted daily with it in San Diego city traffic for 18 months. Most of the time I was wearing it over a standard Rukka jacket. Leatt says you can wear them over a standard jacket, so I think it's fine to do so IMHO. I got used to it very quickly and am glad I had it.

Loren
ObiWanJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
catalina38
Contrarian

There is a street version that is worn over the jacket.
http://www.atomic-moto.com/Leatt-STX...ace_p_277.html

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
hardpackrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

yes, totally didn't think of Troy Lee Designs, that's really a sweet jacket. Bobby "Blaze" (speedway champ in Auburn, CA) turned me on to Troy Lee Gear, protection, gloves, etc.. some real quality stuff...(they sponsored him, so i saw all the stuff up close.) Thanks for reminding me about them, that jacket is now on my short list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPnGP...layer_embedded

Yes, not quite the KLIM level, (man, really want that effing jacket...) but, not sure I've got 1,299 "ones" laying about..... Wait.... uhm, no, I was right...I don't.

The Leatt Adv jacket looks good too.

Warrior, thx for expounding on what you were saying, I think i get it now... makes sense, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I think I'll have to get large panniers (35 / 41) to fit the gear I'm gonna need to use...
Old 12-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Whatever you do, don't try to go further over the top and wear a Leatt brace with a Hit-Air jacket.

When that Hit-Air deploys, the Leatt will probably pop your head off.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote