Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
toniguedes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Thank you all for the suggestions and comments!

I'm almost decided between the Neotec and the C3, but I want to give a try to the N104, if it's possible.

Last year, when I bought my current helmet, I've tried the Schuberth C3 and the Xpeed XFC3000, but in the end I ended up choosing the Xpeed because it was $ 250 cheaper and seemed like a good idea to buy the same helmet model to me and my wife. This choice could not have been worse, and I regret it every day.

Now,I was thinking of buying the new helmet online, probably from revzilla, but I've started to think it's best to go to a store that has all of these options and test them calmly until I'm sure which one fits me best.

My son lives in Warwick/RI, where I will spend two weeks visiting the closer tourist sites, and also Boston/MA. Would you know to indicate me some good store where I can find these helmets that are not far from there?

They need to have a lot of patience with me because my English is terrible
toniguedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
When I was looking for my first modular I tried on all the big name (and price) helmets . None fit my head to well . The one that fit me well and had the best internal sun visor I might add , was the Scorpion EXO 900 . The vents work well for me even riding in temps over 100 degrees . The internal sun visor covers most of my face when down and I found that it really helped keep my cheeks much cooler and didn't get sun burn riding into the sun . The other thing I love is that when riding on a sunny day and going through tunnels is way more safe . Flip it up or down in a second . Also customer support was excellent , I broke the lever to flip the chin bar up and they sent me a whole new chin piece without any hassle . Take a look at them and as said above , see if they fit you !
I have a 900 myself with about 20k miles on it. During a ride up to Cape Breton last July, the release button failed while in the closed position. With 5 days before I got home, it became a very hard to remove full face. After getting home, I called Scorpion and they sent me a replacement lower jaw bar at no charge. I love the fit, but I'll be shopping for a replacement this spring because I'm not doing that again. Apparently, it's a common and known breakage issue.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
mercury01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
There are some excellent prices on the Shoei Multitec. While the Neotec is attractive, I have been extremely happy with my Multitec and highly recommend it.
mercury01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
I have owned quite a few helmets. I too wanted to go with a modular. I have never spent $500 on a lid before but I did the research and tried one on and was sold. It's the most comfortable, well fitting, versatile helmet I have ever owned. If I bought another helmet tomorrow it would be the same one. Shoei Netoec. Hands down the best helmet I have ever owned. The cheek pads fit tight at first but after a few rides they broke in perfectly with the shape of my face.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #20
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,554
I tried on the n104 today and it's pretty nice.

I've owned a few modulars but,never something this pricey

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #21
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
Competition Accessories sells the N104 for around $339 and I believe the shipping is free. May want to check them out.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #22
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 126
Helmet reviews

Good reviews here
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

I plan on getting the HBC RPHA Max.

mike
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Just out of curiosity, did you look at the HJC IS-Max and/or Sy-Max, and if so, what were your thoughts on it? I currently ride w/ a HJC Carbon Fiber FF, but I tried one of these on yesterday (forget which) when I was hanging around the dealer and it seemed pretty nice. The Sy-Max III got a decent write up at WBW, is pinlock compatible, and it's less than $300. If you want to add the Chatterbox BT audio system, it's only ~$200 (the Nolan system is more expensive).

Edit - I should also mention I also have a Nolan N102. It's OK, but a bit loud, and the shell seems really large - I feel like a bobble-head with it on. Maybe the newer ones are better.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,964
I went from Shoei Multitec to Nolan N-104 last spring.

I did end up taking some padding from the N-104's cheek pads when they didn't break in in time for a road trip. I was getting a real head ache from them on my cheeks. Other than that the fit was and is good for me.

N-104 to me has better -
Visibility
Noise Level
Air-Flow
Lighter Weight
Buckle
Removable Liner
Pin Lock
Helmet will go on and off over my glasses (ymmv)

Shoei over N-104 -
Composite Construction
Visor Dentent (spaced right at 1st open position)

mb90535im screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 09:41 AM
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
My 104 is gets excessive wind noise on one side. Nolan replaced the neck roll with one with more padding, but that didn't solve the problem. I'm thinking wearing a bandana may cure the noise problem. Otherwise it's the best modular I've owned.
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by toniguedes View Post

I was thinking of buying the new helmet online, probably from revzilla, but I've started to think it's best to go to a store that has all of these options and test them calmly until I'm sure which one fits me best.
Very important to find what actually fits comfortably on your head. Heads and helmets all come in various sizes and shapes. Only a few work well together.

Also lets you see how well the helmet functions, and if you think it will survive a crash. Two I admired recently are good examples of that. Something called a Hawk. The chinbar locks with plastic clips to plastic tabs. Probably the flimsiest modular I've ever seen. Another was G-Force. Metal pins, Brass, 1/16". Maybe it would take a hit and stay together, but I doubt it. I'd have never seen these important parts without actually holding the helmet in my own hands.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Competition Accessories sells the N104 for around $339 and I believe the shipping is free. May want to check them out.

Thanks, bud.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #28
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Shoei Neotech is my pick

I just got my Neotec on Friday. I ordered a medium instead of the normal large that I usually wear in other brands. I did the measurments and ordered according to there chart. It fits a little snug in the cheeks but the rest is very comfortable. I ordered new cheek pads one size thinner. That should cure the cheek fit.
I just mounted a Sena SMH10R headset and it sounds great with this helmet. The speakers fit perfectly behind the ear pads.
This is my first Shoei but I do like it right now. I did try on the Schuberth before buying this. It did not fit my head at all.
1977 Yamaha XS 400 Cafe Racer - 1976 Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
1968 Triumph 650 Old School Chopper - 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #29
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman44 View Post
I just got my Neotec on Friday. I ordered a medium instead of the normal large that I usually wear in other brands. I did the measurments and ordered according to there chart. It fits a little snug in the cheeks but the rest is very comfortable. I ordered new cheek pads one size thinner. That should cure the cheek fit.
I just mounted a Sena SMH10R headset and it sounds great with this helmet. The speakers fit perfectly behind the ear pads.
This is my first Shoei but I do like it right now. I did try on the Schuberth before buying this. It did not fit my head at all.
You won't be disappointed with that hat. Loving mine. I am looking at a comm system too. Glad to hear about the Sena.
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury01 View Post
There are some excellent prices on the Shoei Multitec. While the Neotec is attractive, I have been extremely happy with my Multitec and highly recommend it.
I love my 4 year old Muti tec.. The big issue for me with moving to a Neotech was the Pinlock, better ventalation and the internal sun visor... I wear glasses and switching the face shields when it gets dark is a pain..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote