Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #61
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 626
Could someone please tell me if the visor on the Nolan N104 stay up at speed? Oh and how big are the speaker holes? We've got the Uclear intercom and the speaker/mic combo is bigger than other BT speakers.

I had a N102 back in the day and really liked it but switched back to Shoei because of the strong visor indents.

Thanks.

2014 Super Tenere

3Putt screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 05:25 AM
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #62
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
Could someone please tell me if the visor on the Nolan N104 stay up at speed?
Thanks.

Sometimes................ Depends on the bike and windscreen position.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #63
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
hiya

i went here: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...t-hakka-helmet

then i went here to check out a review of the older model, the evoline 2: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...line-series-2/

it sounds like they've worked on the noise issues. i really like the fact that you can convert it on the fly to a true open face helmet. when you ride in 90+ degree temps or just around town this is a great feature.

looking for more feedback on this helmet though...

kirk out
james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #64
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Just did this - it's all about the fit

Had it narrowed down to the same three helmets. Went to Iron Pony who carries all three with plenty of sizes. Tried on one after the other and then went back trying them all on again a few times. I thought the fit was close between the Schuberth and the Shoei, and the Nolan was much different in fit. If the Nolan feels great the other two will not and vice versa. I was leaning toward the Nolan after all the research but it did not fit my head well. There was extra pressure on my forehead and it felt like there were several "empty" spaces, where support was missing between my head and the helmet liner. The Shoei and Schuberth had a plush liner with good contact. I knew I was going to spend a lot of money on a helmet so price was not a factor if the fit was excellent. I ended up buying the Shoei. I can't comment on noise or how things operate in the up position as I have not yet used the helmet, still a bit chilly here in Ohio. GO TO A STORE THAT HAS ALL THREE HELMETS, TRY THEM ON AND THEN CHOOSE
Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #65
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I'm a full time, all weather rider, and wear glasses. I have been through many modular helmets in a wide range of prices.

The few times I have broke the budget and gone high end I was disappointed, just another helmet. The few times I went low budget, I got what I paid for and was disappointed.
I have found that Nolan typically has the best fit and value for my needs/budget.

I Took a chance and went with Nolans N43 Trilogy, not a typical modular, more of a convertible. I love it, it has worked out better than any other helmet I have ever owned. It has the field of view of a 3/4 helmet, and nothing beats Nolans chin strap system.

The shield retaining system isn't as convenient as some, and it could use a few more notches, but other than that, I can't fault it.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #66
FlyFishJeff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I'm a full time, all weather rider, and wear glasses. I have been through many modular helmets in a wide range of prices.

The few times I have broke the budget and gone high end I was disappointed, just another helmet. The few times I went low budget, I got what I paid for and was disappointed.
I have found that Nolan typically has the best fit and value for my needs/budget.

I Took a chance and went with Nolans N43 Trilogy, not a typical modular, more of a convertible. I love it, it has worked out better than any other helmet I have ever owned. It has the field of view of a 3/4 helmet, and nothing beats Nolans chin strap system.

The shield retaining system isn't as convenient as some, and it could use a few more notches, but other than that, I can't fault it.
+1

I am very happy with my N43. I love the weight, fit, visibility, value and versatility. My Sena SMH10 works perfectly with the N43.

My only nit-pick is that the notch in the middle of the internal sun visor is too large and ends up in my field of vision.
FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #67
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
For you guys w/ the N43s - are these the 'E' models? How would you rate how quiet the helmet is? What about airflow?
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #68
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
For you guys w/ the N43s - are these the 'E' models? How would you rate how quiet the helmet is? What about airflow?
Yes, mine is an E.

I find it is much quieter than any modular I have owned, but its not really a modular, really its a 3/4 helmet with a removable face guard.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #69
FlyFishJeff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
No problem with noise for me either. Not sure if it's the E model, but it was the updated 2012 model. I'm sure noise depends a lot on your bike and windscreen; I'm riding a 2012 Vstrom 650 Adventure.
FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #70
Steigs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by james t kirk View Post
hiya

i went here: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...t-hakka-helmet

then i went here to check out a review of the older model, the evoline 2: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...line-series-2/

it sounds like they've worked on the noise issues. i really like the fact that you can convert it on the fly to a true open face helmet. when you ride in 90+ degree temps or just around town this is a great feature.

looking for more feedback on this helmet though...

kirk out
I haven't really compared it to anything else, but I'm digging my Evo3.

Weight is fine, doesn't seem noisy to me and being able to flip the chin bar to the back and out of my way is nice.
Steigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #71
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
hey right on Steigs. thanks for the beta.

this is a tough buy for me because there's no chance in hell that i'm going to find a nearby shop that sells these helmets. that includes Grand Junction Colorado too. sure would be nice to try it on...

BTW, what's up with this Sharktooth communication stuff? will any other com system work in there?

Kirk Out
james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #72
heymaker8705
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardroadking View Post
Had it narrowed down to the same three helmets. Went to Iron Pony who carries all three with plenty of sizes. Tried on one after the other and then went back trying them all on again a few times. I thought the fit was close between the Schuberth and the Shoei, and the Nolan was much different in fit. If the Nolan feels great the other two will not and vice versa. I was leaning toward the Nolan after all the research but it did not fit my head well. There was extra pressure on my forehead and it felt like there were several "empty" spaces, where support was missing between my head and the helmet liner. The Shoei and Schuberth had a plush liner with good contact. I knew I was going to spend a lot of money on a helmet so price was not a factor if the fit was excellent. I ended up buying the Shoei. I can't comment on noise or how things operate in the up position as I have not yet used the helmet, still a bit chilly here in Ohio. GO TO A STORE THAT HAS ALL THREE HELMETS, TRY THEM ON AND THEN CHOOSE
This is exactly what I was planning on doing this weekend or next - Ride up to Iron Pony to try on these modular helmets! Was trying to do some research before hand! From my research I am leaning towards Nolan N104, but am worried about the fit.
heymaker8705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #73
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
Could someone please tell me if the visor on the Nolan N104 stay up at speed? Oh and how big are the speaker holes? We've got the Uclear intercom and the speaker/mic combo is bigger than other BT speakers.

Thanks.
I have the Nolan 104 the visor will only stay up to about 50 - 60 mph then it slam's shut.
Speaker holes guessing 1" dia. I have the Sena speakers in them.