User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
drtdino OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Another harbor freight trailer build

Well I decided to build my own trailer after looking at Craigslist and equipment trader online, coming up with nothing that really suits my needs. I ended up printing out a 20% off coupon and getting the trailer for $223 plus tax. I didn't like the red so I painted it with the rustoleum hammed silver finish. I also decided to weld together the frame instead of using the supplied bolts. As you can see in the pictures I also added metal supports to increase rigidity and support in certain areas. Here is a picture after the paint.

Then I purchased a 24" wheel chock from eBay. This was a lot more sturdy than I thought it would be, and the powder coating is good quality. It fits perfect in the front section. But I think that would put too much weigt on the tongue, so I notched the frame and installed 1-1/4" angle to support the chock in any front area of the trailer will be making it so I can adjust it front to back to accommodate different length and weight motorcycles.

drtdino screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 07:50 PM
drtdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
drtdino OP
Adventurer

I had already decided before hand that I was going to install an expanded metal floor, and make a section in the back half of the trailer 6 in wide out of some sheet metal. I used 10ga sheet metal and 9ga 3/4 hole opening expanded metal. I will be welding everything down and putting in some flat bar under the expanded metal to keep it from sagging over time.

I haven't completed this build yet but I will be updating this as I go along.

drtdino screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 07:49 PM
Old 02-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
First, a little hint, hit enter after each photo. These are big to start with, but I don't have a 40" screen to keep me from having to scroll over.

Second, make sure you bolt the fender mount up higher, make a second set of holes so they are bolted in two places. They tend to vibrate and break off. DAMHIK.

Lastly, looking great!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,129
Third:
I hope you took the bearings out, cleaned inside the hubs with a wire tooth brush, clean bearings & put proper grease in there.
I found rust & paint flakes in mine.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra View Post
Third:
I hope you took the bearings out, cleaned inside the hubs with a wire tooth brush, clean bearings & put proper grease in there.

Good advice!

Jim
Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
drtdino OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
First, a little hint, hit enter after each photo. These are big to start with, but I don't have a 40" screen to keep me from having to scroll over.
Lol.. I am new to this, I wish I could just make them smaller. But I I will make sure to do that in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Second, make sure you bolt the fender mount up higher, make a second set of holes so they are bolted in two places. They tend to vibrate and break off. DAMHIK.

Lastly, looking great!

Jim
I welded the mounts to the frame, and I bought some tubing and 1/2 thread all to bolt the fenders where they had two open holes on each fender to the frame. I will describe and show exactly what I did in some up coming picture/build posts. Thanks for the help
Old 02-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdino View Post
Lol.. I am new to this, I wish I could just make them smaller. But I I will make sure to do that in the future.

I welded the mounts to the frame, and I bought some tubing and 1/2 thread all to bolt the fenders where they had two open holes on each fender to the frame. I will describe and show exactly what I did in some up coming picture/build posts. Thanks for the help

As for your first post, just go back and hit edit, then hit enter before and after each photo.

Jim
Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
Dirtdino:
Well done. I like the wheel chock you "let into" the floor. I have an great grandfather to the HF folding trailer that has been modified over at least the last 20 years...and I see clever tricks in yours. Yes...on the wheel bearings, get rid of all the chinese grease, and replace with good stuff and add "bearing buddies". Also check the iner wheel bearing seals...make sure they are good ones....my trailer had LEATHER lip seals if you can believe it, and the surface the lips ran on were really rough and they spit grease like mad. And watch the chinese tires...they are usually poor quality. BUT, with discount coupons and all, you just can't beat the price.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
kiwi_outdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
fire hazard

your insulation is exposed, and you do hot work in your garage - there is a fire risk?
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,352
Weld some big ass D rings to the rails too.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
drtdino OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
your insulation is exposed, and you do hot work in your garage - there is a fire risk?
I had a hot work permit so I am good...lol!!.. Thanks for noticing, do you work for OSHA?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
drtdino OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Weld some big ass D rings to the rails too.
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratche...ting-5-000-Lbs
I think I may get these and put one in I each corner (4), and two in the middle on the side.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
drtdino OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Dirtdino:
Well done. I like the wheel chock you "let into" the floor. I have an great grandfather to the HF folding trailer that has been modified over at least the last 20 years...and I see clever tricks in yours. Yes...on the wheel bearings, get rid of all the chinese grease, and replace with good stuff and add "bearing buddies". Also check the iner wheel bearing seals...make sure they are good ones....my trailer had LEATHER lip seals if you can believe it, and the surface the lips ran on were really rough and they spit grease like mad. And watch the chinese tires...they are usually poor quality. BUT, with discount coupons and all, you just can't beat the price.
ED, I re-packed the bearings with some good Mobil grease. I don't think I should get bearing buddies because the newer trailers have grease fittings on the inner part of the hub (if anyone thinks otherwise please comment). As far as the seals, they are a standard rubber. And on the part of the axle where the seal rides, it was a little rough so I took some Emory cloth and smoothed it out.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
I have received 3 of these trailers for free over the years because of shitty Chinese bearings. Good thing you've paid attention to years. Oh, and that expanded metal will still sag (been there, done that).. but it's a good choice for your application.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
drtdino OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I have received 3 of these trailers for free over the years because of shitty Chinese bearings. Good thing you've paid attention to years. Oh, and that expanded metal will still sag (been there, done that).. but it's a good choice for your application.
Is there better bearings that I can install? I drive to Florida a couple of times a year (1200 miles each way), I am planning on getting the two new Kendall wheel and tire assemblies and keeping the originals as spares that I will mount on the front a frame.