ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
MotorradMike OP
MIL-TFD-41
 
MotorradMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Mallorytown Ontario
Oddometer: 1,009
Acura CSX rear stepping out on bumps.

Hi guys:

I just bought a 2009 CSX and am liking it a lot.
Only problem is that the rear end shudders and steps out a bit even on a straight.
I've cornered pretty hard but haven't hit a significant bump so don't know if it'll go nuts when that happens.

I pulled the lower shock bolts and the shocks are smooth and damp fine.
The only alignment parameter on the rear is camber.
Tire pressures are all 33PSI as required.

I'm going to try reducing rear tire pressure but am hoping some of you guys have other suggestions.
__________________
Mike
So far, everything that has surprised me has been completely unexpected.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Oddometer: 313
My father's Dodge Stratus did this too.

He took it in to a spring and alignment shop and they found a bent suspension piece on the rear suspension.

They told him they see it alot; that it can happen if you cut a corner and hit a curb for example.
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow
 
LuciferMutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New(er) Mexico
Oddometer: 11,137
You can't tell if a car shock is good by cycling it by hand.


Rear step-outs are almost always related to bad toe-in/out settings on the rear wheel. I know you said the only alignment parameter is camber, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a way for a shop to set toe-in, possibly through use of shims/washers, whatever. If the rear is getting really jittery, I suspect there is toe-out where there isn't supposed to be any.
__________________
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
victor441
Studly Adventurer
 
victor441's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Sonoma, Calif.
Oddometer: 872
You could get some conduit, string, etc. and check the basic alignment out yourself (even if you don't want to fix it yourself)....if something is seriously out it should be evident. I used the method below recently with good results and very low $$$...with a newer more valuable car like yours I'd probably let a pro do any repairs/adjustments if needed but checking out the basics is fairly easy.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/c...e/viewall.html
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
mnsty
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mnsty's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Torrance, Ca
Oddometer: 175
Static toe is one thing, bump steer is another. It's toe in or out as the suspension cycles through its range of motion. Sounds like that's what is happening.
__________________
Currently,

76 R90S Turbo
77 R100RS
83 RS/GS
85 K100RS
90 BMW K1
91 900IE Lucky Exp
00 VOR 503SM
04 KTM 950 GO!!!!!
05 TM 530 Black Dream


= Too much stuff. When will I learn??
mnsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow
 
LuciferMutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New(er) Mexico
Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsty View Post
Static toe is one thing, bump steer is another. It's toe in or out as the suspension cycles through its range of motion. Sounds like that's what is happening.

Excellent point; I totally forgot to mention this! If some bushings are worn out, the suspension may be introducing toe to the tire as the suspension compresses.
__________________
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
MotorradMike OP
MIL-TFD-41
 
MotorradMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Mallorytown Ontario
Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
You can't tell if a car shock is good by cycling it by hand.
Hmmm, every bad shock I've changed was obviously screwed up, are you saying the only way to find out is to put new ones in?
I tried bouncing the bumper but the suspension is really stiff and there's no real bumper to bounce on so that method didn't get me anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Thanks for that link, I'm going to try the string/conduit thing.


I knew you guys would give me some things to check.
Thanks to all.
The Acura sites I've found seem to be more geared towards cosmetic stuff.
__________________
Mike
So far, everything that has surprised me has been completely unexpected.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
Hmmm, every bad shock I've changed was obviously screwed up, are you saying the only way to find out is to put new ones in?
I tried bouncing the bumper but the suspension is really stiff and there's no real bumper to bounce on so that method didn't get me anywhere.



Thanks for that link, I'm going to try the string/conduit thing.


I knew you guys would give me some things to check.
Thanks to all.
The Acura sites I've found seem to be more geared towards cosmetic stuff.
How mnay miles on the shocks? Tires?
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
MotorradMike OP
MIL-TFD-41
 
MotorradMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Mallorytown Ontario
Oddometer: 1,009
Tires are new and balanced perfectly. On smooth pavement there is no hint of any shaking or pulling or anything up to 85 MPH.
The shocks are very likely original with 42,000 miles.
The ride is very firm so bumps are all felt.

The rear just steps out slightly over a bump at speed.
Maybe it's normal, but what do I know.
I'm going to check the alignment with the string/conduit trick because if I go back to the dealer without some kind of evidence I'm sure they'll just say it's normal.
The only shop guy around here I trust doesn't have alignment equipment.

Things have ramped up here so I won't get to it for a bit.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep you posted.
__________________
Mike
So far, everything that has surprised me has been completely unexpected.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
victor441
Studly Adventurer
 
victor441's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Sonoma, Calif.
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
Tires are new and balanced perfectly. On smooth pavement there is no hint of any shaking or pulling or anything up to 85 MPH.
The shocks are very likely original with 42,000 miles.
The ride is very firm so bumps are all felt.

The rear just steps out slightly over a bump at speed.
Maybe it's normal, but what do I know.
I'm going to check the alignment with the string/conduit trick because if I go back to the dealer without some kind of evidence I'm sure they'll just say it's normal.
The only shop guy around here I trust doesn't have alignment equipment.

Things have ramped up here so I won't get to it for a bit.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep you posted.
Good luck, hope nothing is seriously tweaked and/or difficult to repair. Since you are checking the alignment yourself it is also easy to get a general idea on camber if the car is leveled up per the hotrod article....if you hold a carpenters level vertically near the wheel and measure the distance from the top and bottom of the rim to the level with a little trig you can get the camber... i.e. on a 15" wheel a 1/4" (or 6mm) difference is about 1 degree of camber. BTW, while checking my car out recently I eventually figured out it was MUCH less confusing to use a metric ruler and tape measure to check out camber and toe in.....for a basic check 1 mm (1/25 inch) accuracy worked for me.


victor441 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 10:25 AM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,330
CSX? I was like, huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_CSX

That clears it up... USA never got that... sorry for my ignorance...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dave in Wi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post

Tire pressures are all 33PSI as required.

I'm going to try reducing rear tire pressure but am hoping some of you guys have other suggestions.

On the last 2 Japanese sedans I owned, the rear tire pressure recommendation was 2 or 3 psi less than the front. Overinflation could lead to oversteer in hard cornering (as my wife found out on an off ramp once). Even so this shouldn't cause the rear to step out on straght roads.
__________________
Dave in WI
2002 ZRX1200R
1975 XL100
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014