User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
zoro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
ADV Luggage for XR650R

Guys, not sure whether to go for a Giant Loop Great Basin style or the Wolf Man E-12 Saddle bag, Enduro Bag and tool bag arrangement.
Price is not a concern however fit and function will weigh greatly on the decision.

Please help me decide.......

What would you prefer, what do you have?

Do you have any pics, preferably on an XR, DR or something similar?
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
I have a GL great basin.My only complaint is that it tough to find things once loaded.The straps on the rear are long and I strap a small dufflle bag with my tent and sleeping bag on the back of the GL.I welded some chain link to pieces of 3/4" strap iron and bolted them to the bike where I need to strap on the GL.I can remove the GL and take it into a motel room in under a minute.The 2013 great basin is supposed to be 10 liters bigger.No problems off road.I put 1 of those tractor tool tubes on the front of the skid plate for tools.Just clothes & food + personal stuff in the GL.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
zoro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks pretty neat oldxr, thanks for the pic.
Also what's the seat you have on there?
Its got to better than the OEM version..
Old 07-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 212
I have used the GL coyote quite a bit and have been very happy with it. I've had bikes with hard boxes and various soft systems, dirt bags, ortlieb and the gl is the only one that hasn't caused some issue when I start riding fast in the rough stuff.

For organizing and accessing gear it is my least favorite but after a few trips you get things sorted and it does have a lot of storage.

The tank bag "which mostly carries my camelback bladder" is a wolfman and works out well, I also own and use a pair of E-12's for local day and overnight rides when I don't need the capacity of the coyote.

The yellow dry bag on top of the coyote is my food bag and in this photo is loaded with grapefruit, oranges and apples, and when not needed it goes in the main bag.

I recently had a very scary event on what was a careless moment on my ride home from work, I bungied a small pack across the top of my E-12's and as it was a 17 mile ride on pavement I didn't bother doing a very good job of it. I was wearing all the right gear and decided to hit the dirt for a bit of goofing off "forgetting" the pack which came off and jammed under the fender at over 50 mph.

In hindsight it was really stupid but at the moment I was pretending I was Ricky Graham and was all balanced on the rear wheel with the bars crossed up. Short story was it left a hell of a 230 ft skid mark and I stayed up but had it been on pavement it could have been deadly and for me there is no more strapping a bunch of crap on my seat, the coyote is very well proven to not shift around no matter the load or the ride.

Yesterday I returned from a nine day ride down south and the last three days were each 500 miles, my seat says SDG USA on it? it is plenty comfortable. Good luck and enjoy your bike, I'm hoping to go on another fairly long one in a couple of weeks. Gramps

mookybird screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 11:05 PM
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
I use the Seat Concepts replacement cover and foam.Wider seat but not too tall.If you are a tall guy tall foam is better..Seat is stock heigth.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
zoro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks very much for the pics and info guys, leaning towards the GL style arrangement.

Looking at getting a Renazco seat at this stage, has to be better than the biscuit that's on it at the moment.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Since the guys at GL used to ride XR's I'd give those a good look. They seemed to have designed a lot of their gear on or to work with the XRs.

I have a GL Coyote and GL Buck n roll on my XR
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
zoro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Since the guys at GL used to ride XR's I'd give those a good look. They seemed to have designed a lot of their gear on or to work with the XRs.

I have a GL Coyote and GL Buck n roll on my XR
Thanks Sintax, I was unaware that the GL guys had the XR's previously, good to know.

The GL Coyote is the smaller version of the two isn't it?

Would you like to have more room or is that size all you need?
Just wondering whether it would better to get the larger version first time around as opposed to getting the smaller one and complaining about not having enough room.. guess you have to work with what you've got..
Old 07-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
I really like my Giant Loop.

KLX Loaded Front Side photo DSCN0709.jpg

KLX Loaded Back Side photo DSCN0708.jpg

I like how secure it is, how easy it goes on and off, and the ability to easily strap a waterproof Ortlieb bag on it.

It is not waterproof so I put all my stuff in waterproof bags before putting them in the GL.

Good luck with your search.

John
Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Going against the grain here and am going to say get the Wolfman Saddles. I've had both. You can check out my ride report in my sig for pics, but me and a buddy did a trip on XR650rs. He had the Wolfmans and I had the Giant Loop. When we returned from the trip, the first thing I did was sell the GL and get the Wolfmans.

Like most, I was super excited about the GL when I received it. The GL is cool, but in order to stop it from flapping around, you have to cinch it down good. If you want to grab something out of it, you have to undo all of that, and pull everything out. Hard to organize due to the weird shape of things and it being one compartment. Just in general I found it way more of an inconvenience then the Wolfman saddles.

My buddy's setup of the Wolfmans was ideal. They didn't move at all. Quick easy access with just a zipper. Can separate stuff easily. Perfect to have those and throw a duffel on top. With the bags and a duffel on top you're almost at the same liter of storage capacity. But with the GL I found that you tend to have wasted space, so the Wolfmans might come out on top depending on the size of your duffel.

My new setup is the wolfmans and a northface duffel that is waterproof-ish.
Takes me all of ten seconds to access something no matter if it's in the top or bottom of the bags.

Edit* Almost forgot the best part.
You can leave the Wolfmans on for day-to-day use. Mine stay on the bike, and come in handy when I ride to the store or have to take something somewhere. The GL, not so much.
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094

SpeedoJosh screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 07:36 AM
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
zoro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Going against the grain here and am going to say get the Wolfman Saddles. I've had both. You can check out my ride report in my sig for pics, but me and a buddy did a trip on XR650rs. He had the Wolfmans and I had the Giant Loop. When we returned from the trip, the first thing I did was sell the GL and get the Wolfmans.

Like most, I was super excited about the GL when I received it. The GL is cool, but in order to stop it from flapping around, you have to cinch it down good. If you want to grab something out of it, you have to undo all of that, and pull everything out. Hard to organize due to the weird shape of things and it being one compartment. Just in general I found it way more of an inconvenience then the Wolfman saddles.

My buddy's setup of the Wolfmans was ideal. They didn't move at all. Quick easy access with just a zipper. Can separate stuff easily. Perfect to have those and throw a duffel on top. With the bags and a duffel on top you're almost at the same liter of storage capacity. But with the GL I found that you tend to have wasted space, so the Wolfmans might come out on top depending on the size of your duffel.

My new setup is the wolfmans and a northface duffel that is waterproof-ish.
Takes me all of ten seconds to access something no matter if it's in the top or bottom of the bags.

Edit* Almost forgot the best part.
You can leave the Wolfmans on for day-to-day use. Mine stay on the bike, and come in handy when I ride to the store or have to take something somewhere. The GL, not so much.
I really do appreciate the "going against the grain" opinion Speedojosh, now I'm back where I started...

Upon starting this thread I liked the Wolfman E-12's with the duffle mounted on top, it looked rigid and square which would make tying other things to it like a tent or camp chair that bit easier, however after seeing the other guys' setups with their bikes it looked as though it was going to be fine to do that with the GL equipment also.

I do like the ability to compartmentalize the equipment with the Wolfman gear and with 3 separate openings (2 sides and one top) you can create 3 separate places to store critical equipment without having to dive too deeply through the other non critical gear.

All this being said and the valuable opinions taken into account I guess it comes back to personal choice.....I might do some more surfing/ digging and see what else I can find on tthe two products. I have been looking on Youtube at videos of the gear and how people are packing them and also what is being strapped to them. Ultimately there is going to be other gear getting strapped onto whatever it is that I buy.
One thing I do like about the GL gear is that heavy stuff can be stored lower on the bike, however going through my gear the heaviest stuff I have would be my tools and they will soon be in a tool tube tied to the front of the bike anyway.

I really need to be able to go to a store that has both lots of gear and get all "touchy/ feely" with it, just to get an idea as to how much it can all hold, the total size and the design of them both. Unfortuneatley the nearest store that would carry both is approximately 3,919klms (45hrs) from me, dont think I'll be getting there anytime soon.

Still appreciate others opinions, advice, reviews and photos though. I normally research the hell out of something before I buy it. Once I have my mind set 100% there's no stopping me...
Old 07-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Yea, the GL looked good on paper to me, but as soon as I needed something, it all changed. If you are one of those that never go into your bags for stuff until the day is done, then you might be good.

For me, I couldn't stand it. With the Wolfmans now, it takes two seconds for me to unzip those sides and grab the chain lube, cell phone/wallet, jandals for lunch break, etc.... Then just pack my water sensitive stuff in the duffel along with clothes. I can even toss a sleep roll on there with ease.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #13
zoro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Yea, the GL looked good on paper to me, but as soon as I needed something, it all changed. If you are one of those that never go into your bags for stuff until the day is done, then you might be good.

For me, I couldn't stand it. With the Wolfmans now, it takes two seconds for me to unzip those sides and grab the chain lube, cell phone/wallet, jandals for lunch break, etc.... Then just pack my water sensitive stuff in the duffel along with clothes. I can even toss a sleep roll on there with ease.
Cheers Josh, FYI I'm up to the Key Largo segment of your RR.

Should've called it an NC to Florida bar hop???
Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Cheers Josh, FYI I'm up to the Key Largo segment of your RR.

Should've called it an NC to Florida bar hop???
Haha, nice. I'll remember that for next time.