Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #31
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Fuck em', just buy some overpriced kit off the shelf, Klit or whatever that brand is...

Love my stiff as board, USA manufactured Roadcrafter one piece.
Someone walked away from it and I gladly bought it off the sale rack at Aerostich.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #32
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I got an email late yesterday that my Roadcrafter was on the way.. so now on WEdnesday I will adjust the leg length, then UPS it back to them so they can build yet another complete suit with the proper leg length.. They said they will expedite that as well.. so we'll see..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #33
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,381
Aerostich is potentially the best at what they do, and worth the wait. I am fortunate to live within a couple hours of their fine store. They are most unusual people, they are very sincere, hell bent on quality, and are constantly striving to bring us reliable, quality gear we can count on. For the asking, on a slow day, they will take you on a tour of their four-level historic old building. It's not air conditioned, and they will make you take the stairs. Everyone "speaky-Engrish", I saw no handcuffs or chains committing employees to their work stations, they seemed quite content to be their.

My budget dictates that I could only afford a used Darien. I stopped in to Aerostich on the way home from a trip this fall. My used Darien was missing the back armor panel. I enquired with the young lady and said I was on a quest for the armor-pad panel. She asked how I liked the jacket. I told her right up front I got it used. She turned it inside out and found a couple of areas that had abraded a little from rubs with Velcro, etc. She insisted on running the jacket upstairs to one of the sewing people for immediate repairs. I was happy to wait and patrol around their little showroom.

The nice young gal returned a bit later, my armored back panel slipped into place, and she showed me several areas of the interior of the jacket they repaired. You could smell Nikwax-- they refreshed the waterproofing abilities in the areas they were sewing on.

I asked what I owed her for the extra work, and she only charged me for the back armor panel. She just said "get ya next time" on the other refinements. She walked out with us and visited some more as we were getting ready to ride on. I don't run into that sort of treatment often. When I do, I tend to tell people about it.

Just my experience I bet.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #34
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am glad I don't live close to them so I have at least 6 months without snow.. but it would be nice to see their operation.. nice to be able to wait for their product.. I'll probably like it when I get it, but I suspect it will not meet theoir promised delivery.. we'll see..I really don't want to buy a seperate pair of pants for commuting until I get their product.. Someone here was great enough to offer me a spare pair .. That's great.. so we will see..
Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #35
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,381
My Ma made me a Batman costume in the 1960's for Halloween and a school play.

It occurred to me lately that Aerostich obviously stole her design & used it as the foundation for the "RoadCrafter".

I guess plagiarism the most sincerely form of flattery

Thanks Ma!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #36
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My Aerostich roadcrafter was rushed to me today.. AS predicted & expected.. The legs have to be shortened by 3 3/4 inches.. so it is already on the way back to Duluth for that correction.. I'll have to pay for that.. so we'll see how long that takes.. hopefully less than 3 weeks..
Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #37
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,941
Just got news today that my Stich Onesie was about to be shipped back to me after repairs. Good thing they called! They told me my armor was getting old and ought to be replaced. My armor was removed before I shipped the suit and has been waiting in my bedroom ever since. Turns out it was somebody else's armor!

Can't wait to be reunited with my suit! It's the ultimate commuter suit when your work clothes need to look good despite the mud, slush and snow.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #38
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 421
I have a sizing sample/off the rack suit sitting in my dinning room waiting to go back. I just did the chat with them to get the sizing down. Coat they sent me is good, just wrong color. Pants need to be about 2" shorter. So everything goes back and I wait for 'production'.

They are currently quoting 8 weeks.

Fortunately it is cold as hell here and the bike needs a bunch of work before spring. So I got the time.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #39
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got mine yesteday and sent it back the same day.. so legs can be reduced.. I called today to tell them it was on the wayback and legs need 3 3/4 of an inch off above the knee and another inch below the knee.. THey now build another suit and put the one I ordered into inventory.. The one I sent back will be there on Monday... She said she would put in my new info today to get it started..
Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #40
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotA View Post
I got an email late yesterday that my Roadcrafter was on the way.. so now on WEdnesday I will adjust the leg length, then UPS it back to them so they can build yet another complete suit with the proper leg length.. They said they will expedite that as well.. so we'll see..
Why in the hell would you have to send back a new suit for a second alteration?

Quote:
I know when I get it that I will have to return it again, because the legs are made way too long for some reason,
And what really confuses me is how or why you ordered it knowing it wasn't going to fit, and you were planning to send it back a second time?

I thought if you needed special sizing Aerostich would walk you the process?
Sorry, I guess I just don't understand.

BTW - My two-piece RC is 18yrs old and still going strong.

HeatXfer screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 02:35 PM Reason: changed 24 to 18yrs - can't add ...
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #41
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,309
God bless the people of Aerostich, I would not have the patience for this process, nor the public whingeing about how long it was taking. I think I would have directed this fellow to Motoport or Olympia by now.

I have loads of miles on my Darien and Darien pants, and quite a few on a pair of AD1s, but I prefer the Darien pants. Its seen five days of pouring rain, 25 degree rides, 108 degree blast-furnace rides, and quite a few nights spent sleeping in Hotel Aerostich.

I went to the factory two years ago, two up. Talk about hilly, we were loaded for camping and heavy and I'm sure I gave my clutch a workout getting through town. What a neat place. They were very busy when I was there but my GF got a new pair of custom sized Darien pants.

I don't recall her whingeing over the time it took to make them, though. My Darien pants were sent in for laundering and repair, they came back better than new. It's nearly time to send in my Darien jacket, I'll probably just buy a Darien Light so I won't have to stare at the clock until it comes back.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #42
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 421
Maybe ~$1k is chump change and you can handle being out that without a care in the world. My situation is a little different.

For that kind of cash, I want perfection, or damned close to it. Otherwise I'd buy some more cheap gear from my local MC shop and be done. Or go used. But no, I want something that fits well and has the colors and features advertised. Doesn't seem like too much to ask to me.

In my experience, it is very difficult making subjective sizing judgements on something like this, especially while wearing it myself. Is that jacket one size too big? Unless I've got one size down to slide into and compare with, I dunno.

This seems to be the reality of interweb ordering a low-volume product like this.

Being patient with the lead time is another subject. These aren't McD's french fries here, I understand it will take time. I knew this before I ordered. 'Stich need not 'expedite' anything on my behalf. Just do it right please.

That said, being out that kind of dough and not having something in hand makes me anxious. Like ordering a new go-fast part and anxiously waiting for the tracking number so I can mutilate the F5 key refreshing the tracking website. That makes the shipping co move faster, don'tchaknow!

FYI: I tried going the Olympia route. They don't custom size, so unless you fit their stuff off the rack...
Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #43
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Heat..
Like I said....You do not have the option to adjust the leg length until you get the standard length suit.. that's the way it is.. THey build it to their standard length, then you have to measure it and then send it back and then they build an entirely new suit..and for those that think I am whining, FU... That's the way it is..

AS I said in the first post... I ordered in early December.. and was told the entire process would last 7-8 weeks.. That is OK... I did not understand that each process may take that long and how the process worked.. so the point here is that if you want a stitch RC.. there is a process unless you go there ( I guess).. and being out that many $$ with nothing (yet) to show for it is the point.. I have said nothing was wrong with the suit.. except that I wish I knew that the time to get one would run into the time that I expected to have it..

Forums are what they are.. a place to get info.. from real experiences and also places where some persist in criticizing those that provide that info... I can live with that..

Being the optimist.. hopefully because I gave them the heads up yesterday.. and because it was promised.. the new suit will be built and back to me when I need it..
Old 03-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 588
Noth:

Oh, OK. I didn't think you were whining; I bought my suit used so I wasn't familiar with the process. Which, by the way, I think is crazy. You'd think they could work out a method of getting it right the first time (besides a walk-in fitting).

I understand why you're frustrated by this. I hope this all turns out well, and soon.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #45
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Noth:

Oh, OK. I didn't think you were whining; I bought my suit used so I wasn't familiar with the process. Which, by the way, I think is crazy. You'd think they could work out a method of getting it right the first time (besides a walk-in fitting).

I understand why you're frustrated by this. I hope this all turns out well, and soon.
Me too.. With the weather getting better.. I am super psyched to get out.. still a bit early with all of the sand & salt still piled up every where.. BobbySands said I was a whiner.. some folks only accept posting to their way of thinking I guess..