ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer
 
yeroc40's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Neenah, WI
Oddometer: 879
What annoys me are all the headlines about how shocked everyone is. It's another Daytona wreck fest. Really, yellow-Green-White-Checker and people are shocked that there was another smoking pile.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,440
28 injured including kids, 2 Critical. For what?

Nascar likes to keep everyone packed in close so that they get the big wrecks, which sadly are the only thing worthy of any "highlight" reel when it comes to Nascar. They got what they wanted. Of course now they are scrambling to do damage control and pull all the nasty videos of people getting mamed off YouTube. Bad for their carefully crafted image apparently.

All for a "sport" that is as real as WWE.

Sad, just fucking sad.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 76,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40 View Post
What annoys me are all the headlines about how shocked everyone is. It's another Daytona wreck fest. Really, yellow-Green-White-Checker and people are shocked that there was another smoking pile.
An engine, a wheel and other body parts when through -- not over, through -- the fence and hit around 30 spectators. That's not only unusual, it's going to change the way they protect spectators at Daytona, maybe other ovals too. Things aren't supposed to go through the fence.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 40,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
An engine, a wheel and other body parts when through -- not over, through -- the fence and hit around 30 spectators. That's not only unusual, it's going to change the way they protect spectators at Daytona, maybe other ovals too. Things aren't supposed to go through the fence.
I found it interesting in two of the Nascar commentator clips I saw, their was absolutely no, as in none, journalistic independence. Just being shills for the corporation. They made ESPN look like the height of integrity.


edit: What is that? It was on ESPN?





nevermind.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 10:18 PM
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,971
Uh, in all fairness, there is not a major racing organization that has not had fans maimed and/or killed. It is a lot less frequent these days after learning some things over the years, but it is hard to determine every possible pitfall. They will study this and make changes yet again. I have been at tractor pulls, drag races, MX, snowmobile, horse races etc. where fans got hurt when things came unglued. Whenever high speed is involved, there is danger .

I have to agree, the fact that the dark curtain was up for about four hours was..... contemptible. After waiting a half hour for news from NASCAR with the boys trying to make PC stuff up with a morticians face on, dulltone shows up at the ESPN booth and says, nothing. It will come out.

I have to say, since they went to the welded fencing, this type of incident has been almost non-existent. Although, I cannot recall a perpendicular hit to the fence like that. Geoff was the last to shred a rig like that at Daytona, and I was surprised he walked from that mess. It seems obvious the car must have nosed in between the cables, which tore it apart. All the other wrecks I can remember like this, more of the car came in contact with the fencing, parallel, allowing the cables to absorb the energy.

Read the back of your ticket, if you still can, you might want to watch on TV instead of being there.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #21
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Uh, in all fairness, there is not a major racing organization that has not had fans maimed and/or killed. It is a lot less frequent these days after learning some things over the years, but it is hard to determine every possible pitfall.
Agreed, shit happens. That said, most other motorsports are considered a non-contact sport. NASCAR goes out of their way to encourage blocking and punting cars into the wall. Do that with essentially zero distance between the wreck and the crowd and people are going to get hurt if not killed.

Of course without the wrecks, nobody would bother to watch so I can understand dilemma. Maybe since all the cars are identical and run at exactly the same speed, they could just slow them down. Run them at 100 mph, and make it a Daytona 250 so that they still fit the race into the TV timing. Or just abandon the pretense of "racing" and call it a demolition derby.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #22
vettex2 OP
X-Racer
 
vettex2's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
28 injured including kids, 2 Critical. For what?

Nascar likes to keep everyone packed in close so that they get the big wrecks, which sadly are the only thing worthy of any "highlight" reel when it comes to Nascar. They got what they wanted. Of course now they are scrambling to do damage control and pull all the nasty videos of people getting mamed off YouTube. Bad for their carefully crafted image apparently.

All for a "sport" that is as real as WWE.
tell that to those who got injured
__________________
scan the avatar
vettex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettex2 View Post
tell that to those who got injured
Fake racing, with real life or death risk. It's the worst of both worlds.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,971
As always, if it is so fake, why can't any of the so called "real racers" from road course series come and compete? While many have tried, all have failed.

It is rhetorical, because I know you have difficulty thinking this through.

These guys are the best drivers in the world, and going in circles does not diminish that.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #25
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 40,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
It is rhetorical, because I know you have difficulty thinking this through.

These guys are the best drivers in the world, at this type of racing, and going in circles does not diminish that.

I feex

PS-- if it isn't fixed why doesn't a really good car on a really good day ever end up a lap or two ahead? Ever.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I feex

PS-- if it isn't fixed why doesn't a really good car on a really good day ever end up a lap or two ahead? Ever.
Because the fans do not like that type of event. In the old days, that happened often. Now the rules are so strict, that it is probably not even possible without violating the rules.

Not to run off the rails, but an entire race series lost credibility in a region, by the first race being a 3 lap blowout. Could never recover interest. Doesn't happen in F1 anymore either, BTW. Reason, not enough people want to pay for that.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
As always, if it is so fake, why can't any of the so called "real racers" from road course series come and compete? While many have tried, all have failed.

It is rhetorical, because I know you have difficulty thinking this through.

These guys are the best drivers in the world, and going in circles does not diminish that.

You would think the best drivers in the world would be able to get through a race with their bodywork intact. Teenage girls texting would fit right in with this herd. Of course the fact that when you ask them to do anything other than turn left they literally can't compete just adds to their credibility as the "worlds best"
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #28
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 40,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Because the fans do not like that type of event. In the old days, that happened often. Now the rules are so strict, that it is probably not even possible without violating the rules.

Not to run off the rails, but an entire race series lost credibility in a region, by the first race being a 3 lap blowout. Could never recover interest. Doesn't happen in F1 anymore either, BTW. Reason, not enough people want to pay for that.


Yeah, you don't see it in F1 since the days of Schumi and Ferrari. Well, a bit with the RedBulls and the first half of the Braun season, but last year was closer.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #29
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
You would think the best drivers in the world would be able to get through a race with their bodywork intact. Teenage girls texting would fit right in with this herd. Of course the fact that when you ask them to do anything other than turn left they literally can't compete just adds to their credibility as the "worlds best"
Uh, they are called road courses, check their schedule. And they do pretty well with a car that is designed for something entirely different. Even though I personally do not like the races. There are several NASCAR drivers that could move to F1 and compete at the top level, easily. There is one F1 driver that could do the reverse, and most people berate him. Most of the so called "real racers" could not function without significant downforce.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #30
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
There are several NASCAR drivers that could move to F1 and compete at the top level, easily.
Your delusional if you actually think that is true. We are talking about the racing series where Unleaded is still a fairly new concept. It's nice to see they moved to fuel injection now as well. Of course my 4 year old pressure washer is fuel injected, so not exactly bleeding edge technology. They seem to just about keep pace with John Deere on the technology front, so I guess that's something.

You go ahead and enjoy watching the pretty cars go round and round this afternoon.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014