Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #76
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
F1 is a nasty place, full of politics, back-stabbing and jealousy.

But the successful drivers are machines behind the wheel. They're focused and professional. Alonso may be a jerk behind the pit wall, but on the track he's a laser beam.

Arguably the problem with Montoya (when he was in F1) and with Lewis Hamilton is they lack of that kind of emotional maturity. I see some of that in Kyle. If he can get a grip on it, I think he'd be even better.
Sadly F1 is 75% car and 25% driver.
The cars are way too advanced to have any real racing and the drivers are not great racers because of it. That's my honest opinion.
Sure they are machines balancing on milimeters and displaying how far technology has come, but rally (WRC) drivers have way more car control and Nascar (or other stock car) series drivers are better racers.

How many americans have succeeded in F1? Villeneuve and .... Michael Andretti tried and returned home.
Sébastien Bourdais (though French) failed in F1 and dominated elsewhere.
Iceman Kimi Räikkönen excells in F1, but fails when truing WRC, returns to F1 with excuse that he misses the wheel to wheel racing.... what wheel to wheel racing?

Montoya and Villeneuve was actually fun to watch in F1 because they didn't give a fuck and would try overtaking where others deemed it impossible. Wankers.

To conclude, I think "low tech" and/ or identical class (stock car, CART, indy car, F3 etc) drivers are better simply because they have to beat the opposition with "the same" equipment

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #77
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Danica Patrick

How long will Danica Patrick stay in the Sprint cup?

Don't get me wrong, I get a funny feeling in my pants watching her, but that's not enough. After getting pole at Daytona and finishing surprisingly high in the race she hasn't done shit. Starting 37th and finishing 26th and only being higher than that when the leaders pit is just sad.

At Bristol I believe DW or someone talked about her team radio chit chat where she talked about being safe and getting to the finish. WTF. You don't win races like that. Right now and next season I think she's safe, but once the novelty wears off she's gone and I don't think just to Nationwide or trucks.

Can't remember who said it, but it was from her Indy days, they were behind here on the oval and could clearly see that, at times, she was just a passenger in her own car, not having the physical strenght to actually drive the car.

Don't get me wrong, I love her - how can you not when asked how it is to be a female driver in the Sprint cup replies "I dunno, I've never tried being a male driver, so it's just normal to me" - and hope she succeeds, but something has to change.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #78
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,094
She's a rookie.

Regarding F1, there's a lot more racing and passing since they installed the Drag Reduction Systems. This is the third year of it and it's made a huge difference. That, and tires designed to be unstable, have opened up the racing.

There's some truth to what you say, though. The most successful team and driver in the last three years are lap time experts, not racers. They design their car to get the pole and then they lay down fast laps to stay in front. Works like a charm, never have to race. Further back in the field, though, there's a lot of dicing.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #79
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,562
Quote:
She's a rookie.

Regarding F1, there's a lot more racing and passing since they installed the Drag Reduction Systems. This is the third year of it and it's made a huge difference. That, and tires designed to be unstable, have opened up the racing.

There's some truth to what you say, though. The most successful team and driver in the last three years are lap time experts, not racers. They design their car to get the pole and then they lay down fast laps to stay in front. Works like a charm, never have to race. Further back in the field, though, there's a lot of dicing.
While there is truth in your words, the real dicing going on is for naught. It is like winning the race to be first to a bowl of lima beans. You won, but it is not really a prize. And there are some F1 drivers I think could do very well in spec racing series, all of those the F1 fanboys complain about.

They are very different sports and you either appreciate the differences in the racing, politics and drama or you don't. While I agree with the premise that the stockers are the better real drivers, one cannot discount the absolute fortitude of someone who can sit in an open cockpit, open wheeled car and go 180 mph side by side on the streets of Monaco. Or even better yet, go even faster at Spa; without an energy absorbing crumple zone cage all around them. That takes a pair.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #80
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
While I agree with the premise that the stockers are the better real drivers
I don't know what this means.

We've discussed this before. I'm of the unshakeable opinion that there are great drivers at the pinnacle of every series. And that no series has a monopoly on the best.

What's sort of amusing about our discussion on this issue is that usually, when I have this talk, the roles are reversed. I'm the one defending the quality of NASCAR drivers and the world insists they're crap. So you're messing with my reality.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #81
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

It was late last night and the bottle was almost empty, but I didn't mean to say that F1 drivers are bad drivers or that I don't get that Danica is a rookie.

FI
If you get a seat in F1 - regardless if you're a "pay-for-your-seat-driver" - you're top percentage. No discussion. Same as with every seat in every top series, be it open wheel, stock car, rally, rallycross or desert racing.

Last F1 race in Malaysia was a good example of that there is "no racing" in F1. Raikonnen was clearly faster than someone (can't recall who it was, may have been Hulkenberg), but it took him 20 laps to get past. As soon as he got by though he pulled away immediately. If it weren't for the high tech aerodynamics he would've been able to stay closer more of the time and get by sooner. There's practically no drafting in F1 anymore. Just when people are passing on the straights with DRS which really isn't drafting.

The "racing" going on down the field seems to be one pass rather than people fighting back.

I agree that DRS has helped. So has getting back to slicks that actually wear out, but I miss the old days with refuelling and none of thsi prime and option tires nonsense.
Herman Tilke designs also has to take part of the blame as most of his race tracks are b o r i n g as shit. Austin not included.
And the F1 powers are absolutely killing the sport charging insane sums to race on "your" track. Just be happy people want to come out and watch and take a look in the mirror - your wallet is probably thick enough....

I agree that F1 is better than what is was (I watched pretty much every race between 1988 - 2003 beofre I was about to lose my mind and quit while I was ahead, bu decided to start watching again last year. While 7 different winners in the first 7 races were refreshing, it's still not enough for me. I will continue watching untill I get that faul taste in my outh again though.

Take a look at a sport where aerodynamics limit top speed rather than corner grip, MotoGP, and you get action and passing - racing.
Ok, some races have the pole sitter up in front the whole race there as well, but people are swapping places back in the field and there are often 4-5 riders within 2 seconds crossing the finish line.

Danica
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. may be a rare talent with two Nationwide series victories under his belt, but he's already got 1/3 as many points as her and will surely become rookie of the year. And he's already won the girl...
I just hope the green #10 Stewart-Hass car will be a little more offensive. Soon.

[/rant]

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #82
wxwax
Excited Member

The problem for Kimi (Lotus and Red Bull share the problem) is that his car is slow through the speed trap. It delivers a good lap time, but does its business in the corners.

It's amusing to me to see a Lotus or a Red Bull not be able to make a pass, even when it can use DRS and the car ahead cannot.

Other cars, like the Ferrari and the Force India, have higher top ends and have no problem making passes with DRS. Vive la difference!

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #83
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,562
Dinger had something go wrong in the pits today....But another good Barber event. And there were no fenders in the way.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #84
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Was switching back and forth between the MotoGP broadcast and the Martinsville feed so didn't get all the little things, but saw the last 125 laps or so after the GP race. Fun.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #85
vettex2 OP
X-Racer

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Was switching back and forth between the MotoGP broadcast and the Martinsville feed so didn't get all the little things, but saw the last 125 laps or so after the GP race. Fun.
you need more TV's
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #86
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Nah, only regret I didn't buy a satellite tuner with PVR

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #87
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,518
Quote:

My wife's cousin's kid is in the Renault 2.0 series driving for Koiranen Motorsport. I'm amazed at the time they appear to spend breaking down each practice session and race especially this time of year, pre-season testing. Victor's only ...16 or 17 and seems to take the coaching well.

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #88
vettex2 OP
X-Racer

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Nah, only regret I didn't buy a satellite tuner with PVR
DVR ? ?

you need more TV's and DVR's
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #89
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettex2 View Post
DVR ? ?

you need more TV's and DVR's
They call it tuner with PVR (personal video recorder). A stand alone DVR wouldn't help since the tuner (without PVR) will only decode one channel at a time so no watching one thing and recording another. I'll survive though

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #90
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettex2 View Post
Well the first race is in the books.........not impressed with the Gen 6 on the restrictor plate
aren't they still turning left?
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: