User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
AlanCT OP
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,327
Thermarest alternatives?

I have an older style Thermarest pad, which has been adequate for tent sleeping. I wouldnt mind something slightly better than "adequate" and that packs more compactly. What other pads do you all use - particularly for colder weather?
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I have an older style Thermarest pad, which has been adequate for tent sleeping. I wouldnt mind something slightly better than "adequate" and that packs more compactly. What other pads do you all use - particularly for colder weather?
http://www.backcountry.com/exped-downmat-sleeping-pad

It will change your (camping) life!
Okie Preacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
I've got a big Agnes pad that I'm liking so far. For cold weather you could go for the version with the most insulation. They pack down small but you gotta blow them up...
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
http://www.backcountry.com/exped-downmat-sleeping-pad

It will change your (camping) life!

Same Church, different pew

Exped Synmat 9 Punp DLX = 3 1/2"T x 78"L x 26"W of decadence!

The ThermaRests were 'ok' when I was a back sleeper, but became intolerable when I migrated to being a side sleeper.

I used to use a Pacific Outdoor Equipment pad while backpacking, but the extra cush and size of the Exped has now relegated that pad to the seldom seen pile. It takes me about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes to inflate this pad with the built-in hand pump.

Here's a few shots of the both of them, for comparison.

Dusty
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
I just bought an Exped Synmat 7.5 basic. I was looking for a good pad on a budget. This seemed like the most bang for the buck. I've recently purchased it and only took a nap on it, so I can't say too much about it... But from the research I did before buying it, this seemed hard to beat for the price. It packs down pretty small too.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,171
exped best of the best...

wifey uses downmat7
I use synmat.

Both deliver warmth and comfort to -30f

http://www.rei.com/product/780362/ex...-pad-with-pump

With a lightweight design and integrated pump, this down-insulated Exped air mattress is warm and compact for excellent year-round comfort.
  • Unlike the air mattress you had as a kid, this one has 700-fill-power? goose down inside to insulate you from the cold ground; baffle chambers prevent cold spots
  • Ingenious hand pump is built into pad chamber; welded, dual valves allow maximum airflow
  • Inflating the pad with the pump, rather than by mouth, keeps the goose down dry for optimal performance
  • UV- and abrasion-resistant polyester fabric is airtight and has a nonslip finish, which helps prevent your sleeping bag from sliding off the pad
  • Includes stuff sack for protection during transportation; includes repair kit with adhesive and fabric patches

Please note: Exped products can only be shipped to U.S. addresses
Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 556
I have one of these and love it

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/qcore

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
You're going to have to strike a balance between how completely it packs, and how warm it is. I'm young(ish) so I'm still happy on a 1" thick new Therm-a-rest, but I also do a fair amount of multi-night back-country camping trips, so size and weight are very important to me. Maybe not as much for you?
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
I got the new Thermorest style . Stuff sack turns into a pump . It's the large cold weather . It is comfortable for me .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I've gotten a lot of use out of my large neo-air it's 25x77 and 2 1/2 inches thick, packs very small weighs 19 ounces. I use it regularly to 40 degrees and lower but if your planning regular use below 40 or so I would look for something insulated.

Thermarest also now has a version called the trekker that is the same size, a bit heavier and quite a bit less money.

I own a few thermarests, an exped,big agnes and a montbell pad, I really think for what it is the neo air is comfortable. I usually shop for the best online price but for something like a light weight inflatable sleeping pad I usually buy from REI.

The satisfaction guarantee and return policy are worth paying a little extra for some items.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheeled 'Tard View Post
You're going to have to strike a balance between how completely it packs, and how warm it is. I'm young(ish) so I'm still happy on a 1" thick new Therm-a-rest, but I also do a fair amount of multi-night back-country camping trips, so size and weight are very important to me. Maybe not as much for you?
Not that much of a balance.

Downmat UL 7, 72" x 20" x 2.8", 20.5 oz, packed size 9 x 4.3", R value 5.9

Thermarest Prolite, 72" x 20" x 1", 16 oz, packed size 4.1 x 11", R value 2.2

So the thermarest has 37% as much insulation, and 36% as much thickness/comfort, but does weigh 4.5 ounces less.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #12
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Not that much of a balance.

Downmat UL 7, 72" x 20" x 2.8", 20.5 oz, packed size 9 x 4.3", R value 5.9

Thermarest Prolite, 72" x 20" x 1", 16 oz, packed size 4.1 x 11", R value 2.2

So the thermarest has 37% as much insulation, and 36% as much thickness/comfort, but does weigh 4.5 ounces less.

Walter
Now that does look comfy, but spendy. I guess "Cost" is the third part of the equation. :)

For motorcycle camping, 4oz isn't a noticeable difference. But when you're backpacking it can, those little weights add up. For what it's worth, I'm not actually on a name-brand Therm-a-rest, I'm on an REI Lite-Core 1.5. Not sure what it's exact specs are because they don't seem to sell it anymore, but it's very light and packs smaller than a 2-liter soda bottle.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheeled 'Tard View Post
Now that does look comfy, but spendy. I guess "Cost" is the third part of the equation. :)

For motorcycle camping, 4oz isn't a noticeable difference. But when you're backpacking it can, those little weights add up. For what it's worth, I'm not actually on a name-brand Therm-a-rest, I'm on an REI Lite-Core 1.5. Not sure what it's exact specs are because they don't seem to sell it anymore, but it's very light and packs smaller than a 2-liter soda bottle.
Yea they are on the expensive side. But when I realized how close they were in weight to the thin thermarests, I gulped a little at the price and bought one. At my age, even backpacking I'm willing to carry the few extra ounces to have the extra padding. I wasn't willing to carry the extra pounds it took to get a thermarest that thick.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
For cold weather and comfort, Exped 9 DLX is where it's at.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachmanP View Post
I've got a big Agnes pad that I'm liking so far. For cold weather you could go for the version with the most insulation. They pack down small but you gotta blow them up...

+1 on the Big Agnes.
I had thermarests and never slept well. Got the BA and sleep like log. packs up tiny. Iove it for backpacking too.
yes, it does take a few to blow it up but imop it's well worth it.
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote