User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
rdougan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
First Weekend on the Multistrada

This is my first "trip" post on AdvRider!

We decided to make the most of the dry weather and take our new bike on a grand tour over the weekend. We originally were planning to to visit Lille, but plans changed once we got to Dordrecht as well, we hadn't really planned anything. Add the fact that we hadn't got a GPS yet (or a phone mount), we decided to just head home and try out the camping gear at a campsite near home…

4km. It is a nice feeling to have a brand new motorcycle.

We arrived at the campsite around 8pm, so it was already dark when we had to erect the tent. Thankfully everything went smoothly and we had it it put together in about 15 minutes.

After watching a few shows on the iPad, we went to sleep; or tried. We foolishly didn't bring the inflatable mats, so it wasn't the most comfortable place to sleep; though the 3°C temperature outside probably didn't help. Next time we will have a list!

We got up early, heated some chocomel and made some scrambled eggs on our new portable cooker.

Hot Chocomel. So good. Notice the empty Domino boxes in the background..

Putting my cooking skills to the test.

After packing everything away, we headed home to plan the days activities. After wiping the dew off the Multistrada of course...

After a bit of googling, we decided to try out the best road in Netherland. But before we left, I wanted to get a mount for my iPhone…

I ended up buying a €10 bicycle mount. Turns out it holds pretty well!

To get to the road, we used Google Maps and told it to use no highways. Turns out the b-roads around Netherlands are perfect. And I really mean it. I've yet to see a bad road, they are always in great condition.

It really is true about Holland being completely flat. There are literally no hills. It's crazy.

It was around 5-7°C all day, so we had all our gear on including some clothes underneath. I was able to tolerate it, Sarah's hands were a little cold though…

Sarah using the Multistrada's heated grips.

Turns out the road was fantastic, though we never actually travelled the whole thing (I only realised this once we got home). We crossed the Utrecht Gelderland via a 5 minute ferry and arrived in Culemborg.

The ferry seemed to just steer using this rope. No actual wheel on the boat.

We filled up the tank and grabbed some food in a Chinese restaurant next to the station. The food was OK.

The starter we each had. It was like the main.

Sarah using the hot towel they provided afterwards to clean your hands.

We then took the highways and went straight home as we wanted to get some food from AH (local shop) before it closed at 6.

Our complete trip.

After riding 500km in one weekend, including carrying a bunch of things on the bike, my initial impressions are "it's fucking awesome!". Though I expected nothing less from a 150bhp monster.
rdougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Very nice bike, great pics and story, and Sarah is beautiful.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,360
Congrats on the new bike and thanks for your first day trippin' report.. what was your total km's for the day?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
rdougan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Congrats on the new bike and thanks for your first day trippin' report.. what was your total km's for the day?
Thanks. Just shy of 200km, so not a crazy amount.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,345
"lovely"

Kinda jealous
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Thanks for sharing, always nice to see a new bike, new place, and a pretty face(the girl's of course).

Any trip where the lady comes along is a good trip IMO! Cant beat a fresh new bike either, that thing looks sick.
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote