Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
jon_l OP
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,641
can a Canadian resident own and insure a bike in the US?

Can a Canadian resident own and insure a bike in the US?

Wondering if one could buy and leave a bike at a relative's or friend's, or in a storage unit, with a local license plate & insurance. This would be while having a Canadian drivers license and permanent address. Bikes and insurance are so cheap there, I'm day-dreaming about leaving a cheap dual-sport someplace warm, to ride for a few weeks during the snowy season here.

Anyone with experience on this?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Brit711
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Can a Canadian resident own and insure a bike in the US?

Wondering if one could buy and leave a bike at a relative's or friend's, or in a storage unit, with a local license plate & insurance. This would be while having a Canadian drivers license and permanent address. Bikes and insurance are so cheap there, I'm day-dreaming about leaving a cheap dual-sport someplace warm, to ride for a few weeks during the snowy season here.

Anyone with experience on this?
hmm would be a nice thing to know
I am in QC and ride a 1200GSA. I pay about $300 full cover... PLUS the QC registration stuff etc. been thinking the same thing as I work during the summer here and ...well it isn't the most ideal place to ride in winter ! Saying that I used to ride every winter back in UK, and yes there is snow there....OR was ..
Brit711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Hektoglider
Expedition Style ADV

Oddometer: 2,475
Why not just ride your Canadian plated bike down in the fall & put it into a storage unit. In Ontario my insurance is pro-rated. This means bikes that are added to the policy from November to March incur no cost. I think the cost of the policy is 10% April 10% May 20% June 20% July 20% Aug 10%Sept and Oct. So if you insure one bike for the summer, and add two from Nov to March the cost will be the same. If I take the insurance off the bikes for the winter no savings are realized and actually I would loose my 5% loyalty discount and my 5 % multi bike discount. So it's easy insurance wise and registration wise.
I can't help you with the remainder of your question, but you could still buy a USA bike, get a Canadian reg/plate and then keep it down south. If you figure you want to save money on the purchase. I would recommend a maintenance free type of bike that isn't finicky or require dealer support or updates for tech bulletins.
The ultimate is to go on a nice relaxing ride in the fall time, store the bike, then visit it 3 times over the winter( fly&ride) then ride it back home in the spring. This frees up garage space for the skidoo/ snowblower and meets other objectives.
This reply doesn't totally answer your question but I hope it gives you some ideas ..
Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,324
It's frequently done here. Many Vermont riders have family across the Quebec border, so they just have a family member keep something in the south of border garage for them. Compared to Canada, bikes are much cheaper here, both to purchase and to ride. I pay about $170 in insurance per year per bike, and registration is about $60. Inspection is $25.

As long as you can come up with some sort of believable address, VT is very liberal for bike registration. I don't think I'd try to cross back into Canada on a US registered machine as a Canadian citizen (unless one held both passports, which is also fairly common), but VT registered bikes are riding all over the place.

The Newport VT DMV is fairly easy to deal with, and has reasonable access to most of the southern portion of Quebec.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com

Canuman screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 04:47 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,299
I just titled and put regi on a bike in AZ. Used Alberta license. No problem.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 349
Is it still the law that riding/ driving a US plated vehicle in Canada by a resident of Canada with a Canadian driver's licence can result in forfeiture of the vehicle? I'm fairly sure it used to be that way.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Why not just ride your Canadian plated bike down in the fall & put it into a storage unit. In Ontario my insurance is pro-rated. This means bikes that are added to the policy from November to March incur no cost. I think the cost of the policy is 10% April 10% May 20% June 20% July 20% Aug 10%Sept and Oct. So if you insure one bike for the summer, and add two from Nov to March the cost will be the same. If I take the insurance off the bikes for the winter no savings are realized and actually I would loose my 5% loyalty discount and my 5 % multi bike discount. So it's easy insurance wise and registration wise.
I can't help you with the remainder of your question, but you could still buy a USA bike, get a Canadian reg/plate and then keep it down south. If you figure you want to save money on the purchase. I would recommend a maintenance free type of bike that isn't finicky or require dealer support or updates for tech bulletins.
The ultimate is to go on a nice relaxing ride in the fall time, store the bike, then visit it 3 times over the winter( fly&ride) then ride it back home in the spring. This frees up garage space for the skidoo/ snowblower and meets other objectives.
This reply doesn't totally answer your question but I hope it gives you some ideas ..

This is what comes to my mind... ride down late nov- early dec ish. Take the winter trips and go back in april and ride home.

You're only about 1500 kms from non frozen areas.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Would all those snowbirds in the southern states have to drive their cars down? Lots of Canadians have a home in FLA for the winter so i assume they just require an address for DMV to send the paperwork to..
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
jon_l OP
Southern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit711 View Post
hmm would be a nice thing to know
I am in QC and ride a 1200GSA. I pay about $300 full cover... PLUS the QC registration stuff etc. been thinking the same thing as I work during the summer here and ...well it isn't the most ideal place to ride in winter ! Saying that I used to ride every winter back in UK, and yes there is snow there....OR was ..
A 1200 GSA in Ontario costs $100 or more per month x 12 months. ON has the highest insurance rates in the country. Do you mean you pay $300 / year?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
jon_l OP
Southern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Would all those snowbirds in the southern states have to drive their cars down? Lots of Canadians have a home in FLA for the winter so i assume they just require an address for DMV to send the paperwork to..
They still have a Canadian driver's license, and their car presumably is req'd to get them down to FL or wherever. Perhaps some keep a local car and fly down. Would like to know.

I'm wondering whether one can buy, register, insure an American car using an Ontario license.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
jon_l OP
Southern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
This is what comes to my mind... ride down late nov- early dec ish. Take the winter trips and go back in april and ride home.

You're only about 1500 kms from non frozen areas.
Could work if I was retired, but riding a knobby-tired thumper to FL or AZ without using highways would be a very long trip. I wouldn't have any vacation left to ride.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
jon_l OP
Southern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
I just titled and put regi on a bike in AZ. Used Alberta license. No problem.
Do you own property there? Did you use an AB drivers license to get AZ insurance? Or does AZ not require insurance?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
jon_l OP
Southern Ontario

Quote:
I hear you. I'thinking of a WR250 / KLX250 CRF250L sort of bike. I'd want to just sabilize the fuel, connect the Battery Tender, and walk away.

Quote:
This is it! I would love to trailer our bikes down in the Fall, return in the car, fly down to ride in winter, and then trailer them home in Spring. Life is too short for 4-day transits on thumpers on boring roads trying to make time, while I can do back-to-back 12 hour car drives with the trailer without problem.

jon_l screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 06:19 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 611
Bought a fairly cheapo street bike up here last summer. But for me what bike I ride is not to big a deal. Went through it, fork seals ect. Rode to Las Vegas in September. Took a week or so winding my way down. Left it in the garage of a friend of a friend. Flew to Vancouver for about $300 and wife picked me up. We both flew down after Christmas cost $600 aprox. Rode through Arizona, New Mexico and into Texas. Storage unit by the airport ended up $112 for three months. Was only about $475 for both of us to fly back from Austin.
Traveling one way only on the bike gives way more time for exploring and weather. Also if flexable time wise you get to pick the best cities to fly home from for your time frame. In May a one way ticket from Bellingham WA to Austin is only $128 one way. With a little effort you could blow that on a barstool in a night or two.
Not for everyone of course but gives a bit of an idea of prices. Depends also on what they charge you to cancel your insurance in Ontario.

B.C.Biker screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 09:50 PM
B.C.Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunssd View Post
Is it still the law that riding/ driving a US plated vehicle in Canada by a resident of Canada with a Canadian driver's licence can result in forfeiture of the vehicle? I'm fairly sure it used to be that way.
If that were the case U-haul wouldn't have any trucks left. Every time I rent a moving truck it has Arizona plates on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote