Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #31
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomski74 View Post
I was just watering trees

Anyway, here is another vid. It's pretty long (12 mins), but it's a montage of about 3 hours of riding.
BTW, you can watch it in full HD 1080. Hope you like it:
Awesome Videos!!!!! After watching all 17 minutes of footage, I am trying to determine if:

A). Tomski real last name is Blazusiak.

or

B). The Kenda 270 is as actually a decent off-road tire and those who say it sucks may be confused.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 1,068
Go Full Screen - Go HD

The Sahara

The Race

The Crash - watch the upper right of the frame to catch Jason getting knocked down
1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon

JumpJet screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 01:07 PM
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #33
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
Awesome Videos!!!!! After watching all 17 minutes of footage, I am trying to determine if:

A). Tomski real last name is Blazusiak.

or

B). The Kenda 270 is as actually a decent off-road tire and those who say it sucks may be confused.
I may not be Taddy, but I taught him everything he knows

That Kenda had some serious issues with traction at slow speeds, but once you hit 3rd or 4th gear it did fine. I only got stuck briefly in the first 5 minutes of the ride. After that I had no falls or even not too many "oh $hit" moments.

The DRM is geared a bit too high and sometimes it barely chugged up them really tall dunes.
I had absolute blast on those long stretches towards the main gate. I hit them pretty much wide open in 5th gear. Yanush said that he was doing 45mph when I passed him rather rapidly, so I guess I was reaching close to 60-65 mph . I think most of the credit goes to the RM250 front end - it never bottomed out, unlike the stock rear.
I must say that I was pretty impressed with the old girl, but next time I want a 230lbs two stroke 250 with paddle tires not a 360lbs pig
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #34
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,616
You lucky bastards, that was crazy Seeing Tim at the end after you where down was added bonus. So happy no one got hauled out on a backboard

I looked down from the top and thought "Oh Fuck, this could be real bad!"

Great videos Ralph!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 948
If you look at the Ralph's second video at 3:06-3:08ish, right behind Jason, you can see where I landed. Holy crap. So glad no one was too bad off.

Great videos; all of them.
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #36
tomski74
Silesian American

Nice Ralph! It's good to have two cameras rolling. Nothing will happen unnoticed

Here are some stills from your crash clip:

Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #37
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,480
^ I wondered how I managed to break the kill switch on the R controls when I landed on my left side. Looks like the ass-over-teakettle maneuver might have played a role.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #38
ALLIEBBA
TransAlp AF

Oddometer: 6
Nice...

Welll I am looking to join you guy's drinking and maybe through Little Sahara next time! It's been a number of years but my Transalp is now in Tulsa and just out of the shop at K@N and ready to roll. Please send me invite for the next ride and I will try to make it. Great photos and great video!

p.s. only issue is I am working till sometime in March!

Allliebaba 9183476000
Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #39
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Anatomy of a Crash...

Here is some additional context to go with the videos and still images above.

You could see in JumpJet's video titled "The Race" how it all started. We were racing back to the camp. Why? Why not? I got a good start and was leading the pack. At that point, I had no idea who was where. Things were going well, I was trying to pick the smaller dunes and looking a couple dunes ahead on where I wanted to go. I was in 3rd or 4th gear cooking it pretty good. The dune where I crashed didn't look like much, but as you now know, it dropped off a bit and gave me a surprise. As I neared the top of the dune, I chopped the throttle and slowed a bit, but not enough. Once, I left the earth, there was no slowing down, but I had already begun decelerating, so my weight had shifted forward on the bike. Things might have been fine if I had just made the jump.

In mid air, I realized I was nosing-in and knew it wasn't going to be a clean landing. I hit front wheel first and managed to stay on the bike, but my chest was on the bars and my face was over the headlight. My feet were someplace other than the pegs.

The bike went into a death wobble as it decelerated in the sand and I was unable to regain control as it pitched me off to the left. I stood up quickly and noticed that there were two witnesses on the opposite dune face (one on a quad and the other on a utv).

As I stood up, I gestured to them that I was ok. Meanwhile, apparently a scene was bearing down upon me from behind. You saw JumpJet's footage, so you get the gist. As I was standing there giving the thumbs-up, I could honestly see the shocked looks of the two witnesses regardless of their helmets and goggles. It was an instantaneous realization that they were seeing something I wasn't. Then WHAM. I got flattened by something.

I was thankful that I was ATGATT and was wearing my EVS Ballistic Jersey. The impact hit me approximately my left kidney area and it pitched me over my bike in a spinning motion. Soon, I learned that Frontiercat had followed me over the dune and JumpJet had too. Now there were three bikes and riders down. Shit.

I was ok, just shaken, so I checked on the other guys. Everyone was relatively uninjured. We were lucky.

Here's Throttlemeister's pic posted earlier with all the people labeled.

The two witnesses had buzzed down and parked on the dune to keep other riders from adding to the madness. Thanks to them for that.

Now that you know who is who, here is a breakdown of our trajectories. As I mentioned, I slowed way down as I hit the apex. We all landed in approximately the same place. I imagine it was a scary feeling to see someone right in front of you while you're in mid-air. It could have been any of us in the same situation.

Damn close. I think we all learned from our mistakes.

Here is a quick video where I show my tracks up and over the dune. EDIT- Looks like I was pointing at JumpJet's tracks, not mine.

Once we decided everyone was healthy, most riders continued on with the race. I stood my bike up and prepared to depart, but realized I wasn't going anywhere. The crash had somehow destroyed my kill switch. Big deal, you might think. But no. The KLR kill switch serves as a starting and ignition circuit rather than an ignition interrupter.

This isn't mine, but mine looked similar with the addition of sand.

Yes, the switch has five contacts inside it. Some of these need to be jumped to start/run the bike.

So Throttlemeister and I proceeded to tear it apart while Yanush patiently waited on top of the dune to keep the other idiots away. So... not having access to a KLR wiring diagram, we had to use some common sense and trial and error. While popping only a few fuses, we manage to get the right wires isolated and taped together to get the starter to turn. But the sparkplug wasn't igniting. We were a bit befuddled and made some wiring blunders which fried the coil.

Now I had a dead bike.

We spent a lot of time debating about the proper way to extract. We tried several ridiculous methods of strapping the front tire to the rear rack of the utility quad. All were failures. In the end, I decided it was just best to do it the old fashioned way with a tow strap and me riding the dead bike.

No, this didn't work. The extraction required too much turning and the angle was too extreme for the bike's rear wheel to track properly.

Towing a +400 lb bike out of a desert is tough work. Throttlemeister operated the tow vehicle and we secure the hook end of a ratchet strap to my R footpeg bracket. The tag end was wrapped around the rear rack of the utility quad. Throttlemeister held tension on the strap and drove the quad one-handed throughout the extraction. In an emergency, he let go of the strap to separate the vehicles. Largely, it worked, though it was slow and tiring. We had to make some wise decisions on where to go and at what speeds. As a passenger of the towed vehicle, my job was a tiring one. Riding a dead bike through sand is tough. My arms and legs were whipped by the time we made it back just before dark.

DirtyDog screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 03:08 PM
Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
tomski74
Silesian American

Evening workout:

Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #41
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 1,068
Forensics reanalyzed

^^^
You're close. You landed on the other side of the two faded tracks. I landed where you have me. FrontierCat's landed (maybe back wheel) to the right of where your front wheel landed.

If you watch the slow moe (5 second mark) you can see what tracks were there and what tracks weren't when I came over the hill.

I made the ones on the left of the picture, you have the middle, FC has the right. Boom, Boom, Boom - three fresh hard hits.
1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon

JumpJet screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 02:54 PM
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #42
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 948
I owe all a round of beer and DD a kill switch!
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,616
This looked good but worked out worse:
Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #44
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet View Post
^^^
You're close. You landed on the other side of the two faded tracks. I landed where you have me. FrontierCat's landed (maybe back wheel) to the right of where your front wheel landed.

If you watch the slow moe ... you can see what tracks were there and what tracks weren't when I came over the hill.
There are tracks in my pic that weren't there in your video. The witnesses drove right through the scene. My impact zone is between the faded tracks and the witness tracks in my pics and in John's pic.

EDIT- I see now. I put my trajectory too far over. I'll fix it.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #45
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
There are tracks in my pic that weren't there in your video. The witnesses drove right through the scene. My impact zone is between the faded tracks and the witness tracks in my pics and in John's pic.

EDIT- I see now. I put my trajectory too far over. I'll fix it.

What is this?....... CSI Waynoka

The real action during the race went un-documented.