User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Eddie G OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Tall mesh vest?

I'm looking for a rugged mesh vest in XXL Tall that won't be so hot in the field this summer. Anybody have any recommendations? I'm using a FirstGear mesh jacket now but it's too hot for me and I'd hate to cut the sleeves off.
Thanks,
Eddie
Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
So is this going to be for on motorcycle use or off? 'cause if you're actually moving removing the sleeves from a mesh jacket probably won't make you any cooler. At that point the air is usually too hot to effectively cool you anyway and you want to start minimizing skin exposure. Now for off moto use, that could be a bit different.

Anywho. If you wanna stick with mesh for motorcycle use, you're probably only going to find hi-viz vests. I use a Fieldsheer which breathes just like any other mesh gear, has side adjustable straps, and goes on and off easy with a zipper. It comes in a few sizes but I don't think they make a specific tall version. Bit heavy, too. Unarmored, but when you're down to just a vest there's not a whole lot left to armor anyway.

There's some leather preforated vests out there, which come in more styles and sizes than the usual mesh ones. Some places -- like Field Creek -- could probably do you up a custom size to boot. A few of these even have back or chest armor (some Speed and Strength ones?). Check out cruiser sections as this is where most leather vests for motorcycle use can be found.

Branching out to military tactical gear you could probably find some textile-based mesh vests that you can kit out with all sorts of nifty things like ALICE attchment points (older style) to velcro strap on bags and more. Huge selection of styles and sizes. Probably less abrasion resistance than a mesh motorcycle vest, though. I'd look into security/tactical or military gear if you're getting something for non-motorcycle use.

EDIT: I didn't think about off road/mx use. In that case, I'm not familiar with anything MX specific, though tactical gear can work since in those cases you're usually more concerned with impact protection than abrasion resistance. Personally -- assuming I was looking for something more off road specific -- I'd probably go with a good wicking shirt of some sort over body armor.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
bumper1871
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Look at the Alpinestars Cape Town Air Drystar Jacket it is longer than most summer jackets.
bumper1871 is offline   Reply With Quote