User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quick release pannier systems for the KLR

After owning a GSA with Jesse Luggage and another GSA with the BMW luggage and both having a quick release system I am wanting one for my KLR. Seems that most KLR's I have seen have the panniers permanently affixed to the bike. Or at least to the point that it would take some effort to remove.
Does anyone make a quick release system for the KLR if I wanted to use say pelicans or Ammo boxes? I don't have a rack or the panniers yet. I am riding a KLR so I'm not wanting to spend a grand on racks and panniers. Anyone made a DIY quick release sytem for there panniers that you wouldn't mind sharing on here. I need some ideas. As always pic's are worth a thousand words..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
SplitRock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
SW Motech/Pelican

I have this rig on my KLR. My Pelican cases are the 1500's, or possibly the 1550's, I forget exactly which one. About 105 $ per case. I also have the SW Motech racks from Twisted Throttle. The Quick-Lock Evo's. I simply leave the racks on, though they come off quickly if you have the need. So there is the case and the rack. I also decided to splurge a bit on the quick release case adapter. They're keyed units, and the cases attach and detach in a second or two. The cases themselves need a small padlock to keep somebody from simply opening them up, but you can't take the case off the bike without the key. I'm super happy with this setup. The cases are bombproof, and the come off the bike super fast. I'll let you add up the cost of the pieces, but this was well worth it to me. Check out the Twisted Throttle site. Good folks, Great catalog. Hope that helps.

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
My happy trails racks are pretty quick to come off. Unscrew two huge knobs inside each case and lift whole pannier off.

Fwiw
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote