Thank you all very much for your informative responses
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #32
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Then you keep your dual 6 shooters under the duster?
I get some of that "Clint Eastwood" stuff from the assistant principal where I teach. I actually wear one of those "newsie" style flat hats to take away a bit of that goth look. Gives me a reasonably friendly look. Can't quite justify some big brimmed hat, especially a cowboy or bush country hat - that'd be a step too far.

The justification for me was:
  • waxed cotton - wind/waterproof - important in our area here where it seems average wind is like 15 mph and I wanted a decent coverage rain/snow coat - especially when shovelling the drive.
  • long - see about wind/rain/snow above, keeps my legs dry further down.
  • reasonable cost - about $100.
  • looks kinda cool - even the wife didn't find too much fault with the look.
So, why not!
It has the inner thigh straps to keep the coat from flapping when riding a horse, but no way I'm wearing this on a bike.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max384
Damn it. I just turned 30 and ordered a 3/4... My wife has told me that I'm prematurely turning into an old fart. Maybe there's something to her ramblings after all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I'm in my mid 20's and own a leather Belstaff 3/4 and a Barbour International... Maybe I'm aged well beyond my years?

I don't own a BMW either

-Jake
That or don't want to get rain where it shouldn't go...

Of course if one looked like this, we'd prefer the shorter coat... or no coat at all!

And sometimes not...

All I can say is PLEASE use good judgement!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 10:29 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
lnewqban OP
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 291
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post

lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #35
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Great Scott!!! Where do you find these pictures???? That's some funny stuff right there....

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #36
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,356
I've tried riding my GSXR with my Darien partly unzipped at the bottom. It's still annoying (to me - on a sportbike).

I don't wear it at all riding any more because I realized that, while it is the correct size for me, the protection it offers is just about worthless. It's not as heavy duty as my Roadcrafter and the sleeves are too loose to hold the (fairly small and pathetic) armor in place if I'm flying through the air. I mean, the armor would be better than nothing if I did in fact land on it. But, the jacket is so loose that I'm not betting my health on actually landing on it. If you crashed in a Darien and did actually land on the armor, I'm going go with, either, you have huge bodybuilder arms, or you got really lucky.

My Roadcrafter suit fits much more snugly and I have reasonable confidence that the armor will be in the right spot, if I get off. And, in fact, my one and only street crash in over 20 years was just about 5 years ago. I was doing an estimated 55MPH and low-sided my GSX-R off into a ditch. My Roadcrafter needed about $175 in repairs, but I didn't have a mark on me, nor a bruise.

That said, I don't even generally wear my Roadcrafter any more, either (except for special occasions). My Motoport mesh kevlar 2 pc suit (with jean style pants and a waist length jacket) fits me better. I am HIGHLY confident that the armor in that will stay in place if I go into low orbit. And even if I don't zip the jacket to the pants, it does not ride up and give me a draft in the back - even when I'm riding my GSX-R. A correctly tailored waist length riding jacket won't. And with the liners, it's better in the rain than my RC, and just as warm in the cold.

Oh, and I'm 46.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #37
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post

I don't wear it at all riding any more because I realized that, while it is the correct size for me, the protection it offers is just about worthless. It's not as heavy duty as my Roadcrafter and the sleeves are too loose to hold the (fairly small and pathetic) armor in place if I'm flying through the air.
One solution that I've found is to buy your jacket a size large and to wear something else under it.

My Barbour International is a size large but my Vanson Vent Max 4 mesh jacket fits snugly against my body and fits underneath the Barbour without a problem. The Vanson is constructed of 1000 Denier Cordura mesh with leather patches in the elbows/shoulders and CE back/shoulder/elbow armor. It fits snugly enough to where the elbow/shoulder armor is always snug against my body.

I couldn't ask for a better combo and for the kind of riding I do I feel very comfortable with the protection that it offers.

-Jake
Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #38
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Damn it. I just turned 30 and ordered a 3/4... My wife has told me that I'm prematurely turning into an old fart. Maybe there's something to her ramblings after all...
Next thing you know,your buying hi-vis, cause it safer !

Then you know your old
navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #39
matapo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
The 3/4 hides the beer belly better plus I m nearly fourty years old...
matapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post

Then you know your old
Hmmmm... Funny you mention that. I just placed an order for Hi Viz Dariens. Guess I really am old.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863490

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #41
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post

Then you know your old
I keep looking at the new high-viz Klim Badlands... now where is my Geritol?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #42
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 210
Bringing it back to life

So now that we know the differences between waist length and 3/4 length jackets, does anyone know of a 'tweener? Like many have said, I hate how the 3/4 jackets bunch up for the "man boobs" effect, or if you unzip some from the bottom, you get the "flying nun" effect. I never use all them pockets anyway, so they are pretty useless to me.

The shorter waist length jackets are much more comfortable, but sometimes do seem to be just a tad to short for good coverage. Sometimes they feel like they are riding on the waitsband of my pants too, and I feel like I have to pull them down at each stop. Problem too with these is that they are pretty much designed for street use, so don't have good chest pockets, neck collars, etc. like the more dirt oriented 3/4s do.

Something just a bit longer than a waist length, but shorter than a 3/4 with no lower pockets would be the ticket (for me).

Anyone come across such an animal?
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #43
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,708
I'm glad you asked because I wonder, too. Back on page 1 bomber referred to a 2/4 jacket, what might that be?

Sarah
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #44
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
I'm glad you asked because I wonder, too. Back on page 1 bomber referred to a 2/4 jacket, what might that be?

Sarah
bomber was typing poorly ;-}

a tweenerr jacket, though, is quite likely available . . . . not all 3/4 length jackets are the same length . . . . . and, if you find one that hits your sweet spots in every other way, take it to someone with a heavy duty sewing machine and have it altered . . . . . . . ..
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #45
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
The shorter waist length jackets are much more comfortable, but sometimes do seem to be just a tad to short for good coverage. Sometimes they feel like they are riding on the waitsband of my pants too, and I feel like I have to pull them down at each stop.
You just need a properly designed waist length, that fits you.

A good waist length jacket that fits you properly will just overlap your pants waistband in the front and back, when you're in the riding position - and stay there as you're riding.

My Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar jacket does exactly this for me.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote