Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
cb4017 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
What bike did you like more than you thought you would?

We have a thread about bikes you didn't like as much as you thought you would. How about the opposite? Bikes you liked much more than you thought you would.

For me it was the VStrom DL1000. I always thought they were ugly and never had a desire to own one. Then I started looking for a bike that was fun to ride, had a relaxed, upright riding position and could be used for 2-up touring. The DL1000 meets all my requirements and looks better in person.

Anybody else?
I was a Vietnam Veteran before it was popular.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
cb4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,617
In 1991 I wanted to get rid of my 3 yr old Ducati in the worst way. It had been a mechanical night mare, a dealership system imploding in Canada, a gigantic money pit. I decided to go from a red, sexy, Italian model, to a wide assed, ugly German housewife, as bikes go. I rode home on my new R100GS, with it's weird switchgear that I had to pull over twice to figure out.
After 2 weeks, I understood. The thing works. 23 years, 130,000kms, and countless attempts by other companies to duplicate, this thing is WAY more bike than I originally thought it was.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
DL1000 Vee for me too...the dang thing is getting ridden more and more this winter. I cant seem to get enough of just puttin around on this scoot...its just a fun, torquey bike to ride.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
My Tuono. Oh, sure, I knew I would like it, but what I didn't know was how much I liked it for everything on pavement.

The original plan was to use the Tuono as a weekend local toy and let my Sprint ST handle all my touring/longer range needs. Didn't work out that way.

As much as I love my trusty Sprint, it's only clocked up a few hundred miles in the two years since I bought the Tuono, most of that commuting/shopping. On the other hand, the Tuono has indeed been my weekend toy, my touring mount for tens of thousands of miles, and my regular commuter. And it's done it reliably.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 408
My 2007 Kawasaki ZZ-R250 ... bought this Bike in 2010 as a cheap "get me back on 2 wheels" Bike while dealing with an emotionally devastating divorce at that time;

Prior to the ZZ-R had Ridden Cruisers for 8 years so honestly thought I'd end up not lilking the 'lil Kawi, but this Bike has been fabulous! I love it and if I could have the EXACT same Bike with a 450cc motor, then I wouldn't need or want any other motorcycle!

ZZ-R Rider screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 12:52 AM Reason: fix sloppy typing
ZZ-R Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
branchen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
My current bike, a 2005 FZ1 (named FZS 1000 Fazer in Europe).
Much easier to ride than I thought, much faster than my previous VFR in normal road trips, much better fuel consumption... great bike.
https://plus.google.com/photos/10207...42729174810433
branchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
'99 zx9r! Bought it thinking it would be fun in the hills. Turns out it was great everywhere! Comfortable for me to tour on and fun around town! So good I replaced it with a '02 when totaled it at a track day. Sold it 4 years ago and haven't found anything to really replace it with??
Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
every dualsport bike i've ever been on...except the GS1150 ADV.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,101
KLR-650 for me.

That bike proved to me that you can't ride a spec sheet. It had no power, suspension was crap, it had a torture rack for a seat, and it was possibly the most fun bike I've ever ridden.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
DL1000 V-Strom for me too. Sold it and miss it.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,043
I thought I would like my 2009 KTM 690r, but it is probably the best bike I have ever owned. What I like is the bike's ability to do an OK job on the pavement, but then be a GREAT bike off road. It is seriously fast in the dirt but is built to work well going fast. No it is not a good single track bike, but I rarely do that kind of riding. I did a week in Baja with mostly larger adventure KTMs and BMWs and was so glad I was on the 690 after seeing what the riders on the bigger bikes were going through. I currently also have a tricked out KTM 990 Supermoto R which is loads of fun but for sure the 690 is the one I would keep if I could only have one bike.

2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
ukiboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
DL650 VStrom. Bought new in Dec 2010 with the intention of it being just a 'stop gap' bike but I ended up keeping it longer than any other bike i've owned in 19 years of riding.
2 years and 14000 miles and it was probably the best bike I owned. I can see why they are rated so highly; a very capable and fun bike.
ukiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Basic test ride...90% chance you wont like it. Ride it for a day and you'll want to ride some more. After a while you will have a hard time lettn go

This is my second one that I pick up next week.

07 that I regretfully sold few years ago.

Another one that got under my skin for a reason I still dont quite understand (3rd one since 03)
In process of being converted to street fighter
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4017 View Post
We have a thread about bikes you didn't like as much as you thought you would. How about the opposite? Bikes you liked much more than you thought you would.
This is funny. Same bikes in both threaeds.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308

After years of being anti-Harley and just not getting the appeal, me and the fiance wondered into a dealership one day just to kill some time and I spotted a gold 48 like pictured above. It was the first H-D that had ever even caught my eye other than the occasional custom built flat tracker, but it was enough that the salesman, along with the prodding of my GF, talked me into a test ride. So after a few days of thinking about that bike I went back by the dealership and took that first ride on an H-D. Filled with my own prejudice I fully expected to hate everything about it. But, you know what? After a few minutes I let all that go and admitted that I was actually enjoying it. Sure, it's different from anything else I have ever, or currently own(ed), or even wanted to own in the past, but taken for what it is I find it to be a very enjoyable motorcycle.

I actually like the one in the pic above better than the one I rode though. For one thing this one has mid controls instead of the stock forwards, and another is that this one is MINE!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote