Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #31
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,773
Bought my DR with every intention of flipping it and making some coin, then I started modding...
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,857
My current street ride, a '93 Suzuki GSX1100G.

I don't really like I-4's at all. Not my favorite sound, and the high-frequency buzz you get with most of them puts my hands to sleep, even if I don't notice it while I'm riding; so I normally stick with twins and thumpers. But for some reason I became enamored with this bike. Figured I could give it a try and not lose much if I hated it, and wanted to get rid of it.

It turns out that it's a really sweet ride, a silky-smooth torque monster. This puppy will idle at 1200 rpm in 5th gear doing 25 mph without protest. Roll the throttle back open and it just pulls. Flog it, and it's shockingly quick for what it is; but it's perfectly happy just pootling around, too. The engine is essentially a 2nd-gen GSXR1100 motor with an additional counterbalancer and shaft drive, and a huge oil cooler, and holds 1-1/2 gallons of oil. Should be as reliable as an anvil.

It handles really well for its weight, and will be much better once I replace the rear shock. There are no really cheap options for this, so I'm having Traxxion Dynamics spec a Penske for it. I sorted the fork by springing it for my weight, and adding Ricor Intiminators.

I'm going to make a few ergonomic changes, and call it good.

It's amazingly liberating to have a satisfying bike that didn't cost much.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #33
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 303
The Ninja 250...

I bought the thing cheap with 6k miles on it to use as a "scooter" for short trips to the store and to teach the lady friend to ride on...

But I ended up using it for commuting and touring

-Jake

YJake screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 03:52 PM
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #34
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 943
Buell Ulysses.

I had ridden a bit with a friend who rides a Sportster and I had seen what a paint shaker that thing is at idle. Expected to hate the shaking and vibes of the Buell.

But the experience of a motorcycle is hard to quantify. Shakes at low RPMs? Check. Narrow power band? Check. But it was a blast to ride. And smooth for freeway cruising. Braking and handling felt good too. Comfortable ergos. Good looks and sound as well.

Tried to buy one a couple of times. I don't think I'll look for one again, but it's a bike I wanted in the past.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #35
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 943
Kawasaki KZ200.

I had ridden some small bikes back in the day. I remember doing a brief swap with a friend for his CB200 or 250. Unimpressed.

When I recently took a KZ200 for a ride I was surprised how different I felt about it. Really enjoyed riding it. Small, light, and sufficient power for lower speed streets. And it didn't have hand-numbing vibrations the way some thumpers do.

I guess there's the difference between a small twin and a small single. But I think a lot of the difference in how I felt about the two bikes is about how I've changed.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #36
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,966
R1200GS
Bought as a dirt road capable touring bike, without having any idea how much fun it could be in the twisties. (for a 500 lb bike)
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #37
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,948
I sold my VFR800 and bought an FJR thinking that I wanted a bike more for touring, and that I would be doing less riding in the twisties. Turns out the FJR is just as fun in the twisties if not more so and I can carry the same speed through every turn, plus it's just brilliant on long trips.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #38
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 241
For me it was the VFR 1200 and the NC700X. I couldn't afford the VFR at the time the prices were reduced but I just bought the NC and love it. I still have the RT but I don't see it being ridden much in the future.
Mike
Old 02-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #39
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,090
1978 Honda Hawk 400. It was the only bike I ever had that I would call a "lemon". I loved it anyway. It sounded good, handled great, and was easy to work on (thank God!)

2009 Suzuki DL1000 V-strom. It put a smile on my face, and I couldn't get enough. 25000 miles in 18 months...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #40
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
My 2012 Monster 795. This bike is a lot more than I expected.

I bought it without a test ride or anything like that. I only sat on one in the show room. Never ridden a Monster until I took delivery of this bike. Back then I thought if I didn't like it or if it didn't suit me, I would sell it after several months or so. Turns out, it's a lot better than I thought. It's light, it's quick, really nimble and performs great in Jakarta's horrible traffic. I commute everyday on this bike, really love it.

BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #41
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 562
HP2 MegaMoto

I owned the BMW XMoto, which was a really fun, flickable bike. Touring, or riding on the highway for anything more than a half hour, was torture. I sat on a MegaMoto before, so I knew it was more comfortable and a very large (but light) bike. I sold the XMoto and picked up a new 08 MegaMoto in 09.

Long story short, I love it. I still love it. And I don't really see any reason to ever sell it. It corners with the best of them. It rides the highway ok; better than the XMoto. I've done a half dozen three day weekend trips with it. And I'm about to do a 2500 mile trip this May. I can't wait!!!

If I add another bike, it'll probably be a R100 GS/PD. Simple, reliable, and proven.
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #42
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Yamaha's MT-03

I test-drove one in search for a naked bike and I can tell you this: it's a sweet corner-carving, nimble bike!!! I fell in love with it.

But the price tag (the same as a FZ6) and a used FZ6 made me go with the latter.

I still have dreams about owning one of those, but that sweet Versys 1000 is a lot better all-rounder, and I'm a sissy, I need fairings!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #43
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I'll have to admit that for me, it's my 2010 Rocket 111 Roadster. I had one of the very first Rockets and it was not a pleasant experience, but thought I'd try the Roadster since I'd read so much had been changed from the original. Any of the reliability issues of my first Rocket though and it was gone. So far in 18K miles I've only suffered a melted starter relay at 1K miles. The Roadster handles, runs, rides, shifts and sounds miles better than the original. At this point its character and versatility are making me think it's a keeper.
vicster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #44
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 716
I've always rode a bike as my main form of transportation, including riding to and from work. From '03 to late '06 I was riding one that I liked but wasn't getting the job done as far as the ride to work thing goes. It had extremely limited carrying capability and I had to carry food, water, fowl weather gear and some tools most every day. The Buell Ulysses came out in '06 and I was curious about it. When I tried one on, I could not touch the ground confidently and I just blew it off as another bike that won't work for me. Besides, the thing is as ugly as a mud fence. About a year later I sat on one with the low seat on it and suddenly I was interested it the Buell again. One test ride and I bought it. Now, six years later it has proven to be a bike that makes more sense to me than any other and still excites me every time I start the engine. This bike is cheap and easy to maintain, will stow a ton of stuff, gets 50 mpg, has limited electronic crap on it (which I prefer), handles very well and has performance designed for real - world conditions. I never thought I would say this about a Uly but the bike is as close to perfect for me as I have ever dreamed. From what I can tell, new motorcycles are moving further away from the mark the Uly sets, not closer. Because of that, there are not even any other choices available. The only choice I can see at this point is when the time comes, rebuild the Uly. I still think the bike is way ugly but strangely it starts to look really cool with some mud and a lot of bugs on it. In fact, it looks like that right now!
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #45
Sean Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
This Rocket

2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
Bike is smooth, stable and will get out of its own way if needed.