Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,812
As I said- I'm very happy with my AST, which I picked after a fair amount of research and thread cruising. I also really like my RevIt gear, except that their rain liner goes inside the outer layer. So the outer layer gets soaked and heavy, and as it evaporates it cools off the liner, which usually doesn't need it because it's raining.
SO: avoid gear with internal waterproof membranes. Olympia's good stuff, and check out revzilla.com for probably the best selection and pricing.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
spoon
Rubber's gone!

Oddometer: 206
This dose not apply to most, but for me I don't tolerate cold. So I dress for the coldest temps I'll encounter then vent. On one or two occasions when the temp has been hotter than my gear can cope with I have had to unzip the jacket and let it flap in the breeze to cool down. Not the safest but in this part of the world the weather fwill change in 15 minutes anyway. Everything is a compromise so learn to experiment and adapt.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
CJGamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
FYI- I noticed today that Amazon has the nice TPG jacket in Blue by Firstgear for $150. This was like 350 or 400 when it came out two years ago. I have a Kilamanjaro and I really like it- this is supposed to be better- with a nice liner, and solid venting. I don't wear the basegear- but I wear under armor heatgear underneath.
CJGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,741
One of my best all temperature all around jackets is a Kilimanjaro Air. With the liner in it is good for really cold stuff and with the liner out it flow air nicely.

I don't think they are made any more however ??

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html

Marc
Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Anybody that rides in the Rockies can attest that there is no perfect jacket for the weather swings you can encounter on any day. I have given up on that quest and now just go with the layers method, find a jacket that vents well (this eliminates the truely waterproof) and is roomy enough for a heavy fleece underneath and get a good rain jacket. When it gets wet in the mountains it's never a warm rain so you will appreciated the extra layer.

eta: any "jacket" is going to be hot when off road and above about 75*
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #21
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
I have the Olympia AST. It is a good jacket for coastal So Cal. It is warm with a liner down to the low 30's. I don't like it above 85 degrees. It has a vapor liner to keep you dry but it works against you when it's hot and humid. The vents can't overcome this unless you are constantly moving. I have a mesh jacket for those days. Having said that, If I was doing a ride that involve mostly cooler to moderate temps with a few hot days I would wear the AST. I offers good protection and plenty of pockets , vents. They run pretty true on the sizing. I got the Hi-viz 1st generation. Pretty f'n bright......
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #22
GETTHUMPER2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Approx. #'s with some elaboration

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
I'm *a* 1911 Fan, not *the* 1911Fan... :)

There are a couple issues when the air temp gets above a certain temp with wearing mesh or no gear.

1.) Your sweat evaporates so quickly that you aren't really cooled by the effect, you end up dehydrating so quickly that heatstroke becomes a real possibility.

2.) If the outside air is hot enough the flow of hot air over your body can actually increase your core temperature like you are in a convection oven.

Wearing a vented jacket (as opposed to mesh), and using a cooling vest or wetting your T-Shirt can keep the evaporative cooling process working longer without dehydrating at a dangerous rate.

Unfortunately I don't know the hard numbers related to this.
The numbers you are referring to are any thing above core body temperature.
Approximately 98.7 degrees f.
The phenomena has been referred to as "heat gain", it is the exact opposite of "wind chill".
Your comparison/reference to a convection oven is dead on.
Dehydration and heat stroke is one of the deadliest physiological responses because often times the individual is completely unaware it is happening and prior to losing consciousness can even think they are cooling down, ergo, you cannot correct what you are unaware of.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote