User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Mike_MRS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Maxxis IT + Michelin Desert Mousse

Does anyone happen to know if these are a good "fit" together? It's for racing rather than dual sporting. I don't want Mich desert tyres, they're too skittish compared to the maxxis and terrain is not pure desert and I want the extra grip afforded by the maxxis. It's the standard IT not the desert IT which is stiffer etc.

Mike_MRS screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 11:23 AM
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
Yes, they will fit. I ran those in the Virginia City Grand Prix last year. Installation is a bitch. To quote someone who is very "in the know" from an email:

"Ron,

I think you should run the Michelin mousse, but talk to Jason at MX1West.com about the new Mefo mousse too. I haven't tried them.

Different tires will wear the mousse differently. I wouldn't worry about the front at all. Any tire will be OK. On the rear, the mousse will last only half as long in a Michelin Baja as in a Michelin Desert. You want a tire with minimal sidewall flex to keep the heat down. Michelin Deserts work for sure, but the tires are a bit slippery. The mousse will last even longer in a Dunlop D908, but those suck. The mousse lasts pretty well in a Maxxis Desert IT, so that's what I usually use. Use a M02 "rally" mousse, not a M14 "enduro/MX" mousse. It will seem like it is too big to fit in, but it will fit!"

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Mike_MRS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cheers Ron, that's what I'm thinking. The desert IT is a real tough tyre, not as grippy as the standard IT but less flex of course. I rode an identical bike to mine at the weekend (mine is on ITs, this one on deserts) and the mich desert bike was so tail happy it was silly. Any throttle coming out of a corner and it was sideways whereas the IT just grip and grip. It's for a 5 day rally on rocky and open terrain, some narrow stuff so I want grip rather than longevity but the standard IT does seem to offer a lot of good wear anyway so the IT desert must be really hard wearing.

I think a mich desert mousse (the m02) with the standard IT would be good - I think the IT needs to be the 120 size though (in maxxis terms)?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Mike_MRS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ron, does the mefo (or mich) 140/80/80 fit with the maxxis 120 IT do you know? Because I get better grip with the standard IT (not the desert) and the maxxis rear only goes up to 120 section (which is about 130 knob to knob)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
The Desert IT that I've been running on my XRR is a 120 as well, so in theory the M02 mousse should work in there, too. But with a softer sidewall on the standard IT, the mousse won't last as long. For multiple days of rocky riding, you may find yourself changing tires and/or mousses more often than you'd like.

I ran the Desert IT on the Kings of the West Rally (but not with a bib mousse). Four days of varying terrain and speeds. I changed rear tire halfway through the trip on our rest day. The rear may have lasted the entire trip (close to 1000 miles total), but I didn't want to take the chance of needing to change a tire after a hard day of riding on Day 3. That second tire (only half-worn) is what I used for the Virginia City Grand Prix mentioned above, where I installed the bib mousse. That course is about as rocky as it comes, and the used tire really started to show signs of chunking some knobs after 65-ish miles (but is still rideable with at least 1/2" of knobs down the center). When brand new, the Desert IT's are known to chunk easily if you wick it up on rocky terrain too soon.

Whereas the rider I quoted above started and finished the KOTW on one used Michelin Desert with Michelin bib mousse on his XRR (and finished in front of me).

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Mike_MRS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just to update this - been using the 120 maxxis IT (not desert) for the whole season. Still on the same rear mousse which is absolutely fine (M02). Changed out the front mousse (running metzeler 6 days extreme tyre on the front) as it had started to degrade but overall very very happy.