User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
School me on heated gloves

I'd like to get a pair of heated gloves. Don't know much about them other than I'd like to stick to a budget model. Any thoughts or recommendations?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
dualsportride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Depending on what kind of riding your doing, and what bike but I like heated grips better then gloves. The reason is the heated gloves seem to be bulky. I like to be able to wear my normal good gripping easy to move in gloves and still be warm.
dualsportride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I'd like to get a pair of heated gloves. Don't know much about them other than I'd like to stick to a budget model. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Try the search function. You'll find threads like this one or this one..

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Warm n Safe heated glove liners.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/heated-gloves-socks/

Use the forum discount code. ADVFORUM Knocks the price down to $65.

With liners, you can still wear "normal" gloves and not have all the annoying bulk of full-on heated gloves. Though, depending on how tight your particular "normal" gloves are, you might still need to buy a bigger pair.

I got a pair of the Motoport Kevlar Racing Gloves last year and love them!

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=14&Itemid=15

Being made completely out of stretch Kevlar, they fit me perfectly and yet have enough give to them to fit over glove liners, too.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
+1 for W&S liners. Less bulky for touring and you can wear them with various gloves you own.

I usually just use heated grips though. I carry the heated liners for when it's fairly cold and the HGs aren't cutting it.

I only use them when I have my heated jacket liner on because it's got outlets on the sleeves for them. Running wires down both sleeves seems like it would be a PITA.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
The "G" series of Gerbing Gloves ARE NOT waterproof.

I know they say they use a "waterproof" and "windproof" layer, but they DO NOT seal the seams on that layer. They will leak through the seams.

You're going to have a dozen people tell you that they've been riding in them for years and they've never leaked for them, but I was told by Gerbing themselves that they do not seal the seams and you should expect them to leak in heavy rain. Both pairs of mine leaked.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
F6BANGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Or you could do this for cheap....http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=194
F6BANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,830
I've had both styles of Gerbings and hate the bulk. Will be looking at liners in the future.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,523
I sealed the seams of my Gerbings, and they are bone dry in the rain, keep my hands warm, work ewvery time, and come from a company that will stand behind em if trouble occurs . . . .

I'm certain they are not the only company whose products match this profile, but I'm plesaed, and I can use the time I DON"T reasearch alternates by riding.

;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Ultimately most of it depends on how well your hands are shielded from the wind. Heated gloves are better than heated grips, but if your hands are still sitting out there in the cold wind then the effect is greatly diminished.

If warm hands are a major factor for you then consider "bark busters" or some other form of wind shielding (eg "hippo") for your hands.

FB
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I've got bark busters but my hands are still numb after a 4 hour ride in the high 40s to low 50s. Those heated liners seem intriguing. I have some really nice oylmpia gortex winter gloves that I use with regular liners now.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Cycle Gear seems to have enticing prices on their heated clothing.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,161
I have the Gerbings T5 gloves. They're not budget gloves, but they're fantastic and worth every penny. I comfortably ride down into single digits with them (well, my hands are comfortable at least...). They survived a highway crash. They took some damage, but the heat never stopped working and they were repairable. They're not completely waterproof... But I'm pretty sure that's because I wrecked in them. Many people have reported theirs to be waterproof, and I never got to test mine in the rain prior to crashing in them.

Stay away from Tour Master Synergy gloves. I bought those first because they were priced good and even came with the heat controller. They were terrible. They had no heat in the thumbs, the heating was pretty uneven, you could feel the wires, the cuff system was amazingly cumbersome, and the heat wasn't all that warm (at least not compared to Gerbing). I returned them and did more research. I then bit the bullet and went with Gerbings. I'm so glad I spent the extra coin and went with a solid product.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I have the Gerbings T5 gloves. They're not budget gloves, but they're fantastic and worth every penny. I comfortably ride down into single digits with them (well, my hands are comfortable at least...). They survived a highway crash. They took some damage, but the heat never stopped working and they were repairable. They're not completely waterproof... But I'm pretty sure that's because I wrecked in them. Many people have reported theirs to be waterproof, and I never got to test mine in the rain prior to crashing in them.
+1 on Gerbing's T5 gloves. I love mine. I can ride down to zero and still have plenty of warmth.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
WFRTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I bought a pair of Firstgear Heated Glove Liners last October and I am not impressed with them at all. I had a couple of finger tips reattached last Winter and they don't handle the cold very well, so I thought heated gloves would work better than heated grips. I plug the glove liners into the cables of my Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner, and they hardly warm up at all. I wear them under my Aerostich Elk Skin Ropers and the tip of my thumb gets no heat what so ever and the rest of my fingers barely stay warm enough to prevent them from freezing. I am going to give Warm & Safe a chance to repair/replace them, but if their customer service doesn't come through, I am going to try the Gerbing G3.
WFRTony is offline   Reply With Quote