ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
JBtourer OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney,NSW,Aus
Oddometer: 126
Braidwood-Numeralla-Cooma road

I haven't done this road for probably a decade and was wondering what it was like now. Has much of it been sealed? Are the dirt bits loose or corrugated?

I am considering taking a rather large roadie(cruiser) across there in a couple of weeks and would appreciate the thoughts of any who have been across it recently.

Thanks

JBtourer
JBtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 374
You might get a quicker answer if you ask it in the ACT sub-forum.....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...23350&page=204 There are even members who live down Numeralla way so they'll know :)


I know that that Numeralla to Cooma section is sealed, as is maybe 20-30km before Numeralla.... The section from Braidwood to near Majors Creek is too. Haven't personally been in the middle section, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some dirt....

Hell, I'll do it for you....
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtourer View Post
I haven't done this road for probably a decade and was wondering what it was like now. Has much of it been sealed? Are the dirt bits loose or corrugated?

I am considering taking a rather large roadie(cruiser) across there in a couple of weeks and would appreciate the thoughts of any who have been across it recently.

Thanks

JBtourer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
You might get a quicker answer if you ask it in the ACT sub-forum.....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...23350&page=204 There are even members who live down Numeralla way so they'll know :)


I know that that Numeralla to Cooma section is sealed, as is maybe 20-30km before Numeralla.... The section from Braidwood to near Majors Creek is too. Haven't personally been in the middle section, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some dirt....

Hell, I'll do it for you....
The road is fine, about 40 kms, maybe 50 kms gravel . Ball bearings and skatey in places, but not rough, and not too narrow for the most part. Less than 10 kms more sealed road than 10 years ago, so much as you remember it, without the boggy bits.
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Ball bearings and skatey in places

so a normal Australian road then?
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
so a normal Australian road then?
Yep
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
sidetrack one
Boss STAG
 
sidetrack one's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: hole shaven area
Oddometer: 4,663
40 k exactly of dirt, nice ride up thru the hills, snow at pikes Saddle in winter, roads fine at the moment, I do it once or twice a month, just watch the wildlife, incredible amount of roos/wallabies at the moment
__________________
I live more in 5 minutes on my motorcycle than some people live in a lifetime...............
I'm a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma....... sort of like a human turducken!
www.buyabale.com.au.. Our farmers thank you!
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks
 
Woody2627's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Jindabyne
Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
40 k exactly of dirt, nice ride up thru the hills, snow at pikes Saddle in winter, roads fine at the moment, I do it once or twice a month, just watch the wildlife, incredible amount of roos/wallabies/wombats at the moment
Fixt
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
JBtourer OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney,NSW,Aus
Oddometer: 126
Thanks to all for the feedback. It sounds like it is very doable.

Cheers

JBtourer
JBtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
trailcutter
666
 
trailcutter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: S/Coast N.S.W. Budawangs./ Jerawangala...OZ
Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtourer View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback. It sounds like it is very doable.

Cheers

JBtourer

mate .......i gots dirt / adv......bikes.........also a 2011 flhrc,,,,i dont mind takin it on this road ,, in dry .no dramas,,,,,

do it.
__________________
ADVENTURE ,MUST ENTAIL A DEGREE OF RISK , AND UNKNOWN OUTCOMES.
trailcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtourer View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback. It sounds like it is very doable.

Cheers

JBtourer
It's arguably the most doable dirt road in the country ...

About 10m wide and an easy grade ...

But you'll probably get a whole lot of scratches on the engine casing of your cruiser - [flicked up by front wheel] - perhaps that doesn't matter ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
JBtourer OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney,NSW,Aus
Oddometer: 126
Laugh

If there is rain around I guess I'll just have to zip down Clyde Mountain and back up Brown Mtn.

I'll be going from Southern Sydney to Bright. Doing Clyde and Brown Mtns adds about 200k to the trip and I will be doing them on another ride in a couple of months so I'm thinking if I can go direct from Braidwood to Cooma I'll keep the days ride under 800k and enjoy the scenery a bit more.
I'd prefer not to go via Bungendore etc.

Either way it will be a good days ride.

cheers

JBtourer
JBtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014