User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Gitana OP
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,952
Alpinestars Toucan - 2013 Boot

Anybody have these yet? Thoughts on them? I've been looking at the Gaerne G-Midlands, but they're backordered in my size. The Toucan and the TCX X-Desert have been mentioned as potential alternatives. The X-Desert looks less protective than the Toucan. I have Gaerne feet with big calves and like a big toe box. Sidis will never, ever fit me. My SG12's were overkill for the kind of riding I do. Sure would love to hear some first hand accounts of the Toucan if anyone has them.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Gitana OP
A work in progress

No one? Well, I'm going to order a pair on Friday from Revzilla. I've looked hard at the Toucan and at the new 2013 TCX X-Desert. Because I have bigger calves, the Toucan looks as if it has greater flexibility since it has velcro on the upper calf rather than a buckle.

This is the TCX X-Desert:

And this is the Alpinestars Toucan:

Once the Toucans arrive, I'll post a review.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Gitana OP
A work in progress

Performance Cycle in Denver has these on sale for $409 instead of the $449 list price. They run big. I wear a 43/9 in Gaerne boots. These I picked up on a 42/8. They fit perfectly. They're about as high as the Natural Balance Oil boot, but with considerably more protection. Good flex in the ankle and seem reasonable comfortable for walking around. Not a fan of their buckles, but the boot fits over my size 19" calves. Ride horses for long enough and it makes it really fun to find motorcycle boots that fit. I won't get to ride in them until 4/6 when we head to Utah. More info then.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
They look slick...
Are they waterproof?

Why yes they are. These are now on my list.

drm screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 06:06 PM Reason: waterproof? yes.
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,119
got a Cycle-Gear store nearby?
They deal in alpinestar and could bring in a pair of any model you choose, then you could actually try them on before buying. The CG store here will order in almost anything,,got yer eye on 3 different helmets they don't have in stock??,,have 'em bring in all 3 and buy the one you like.
Sometimes they have deals online that they do not have in the stores,,but the store here has always matched any online deal,,bought lots of tires they don't normally stock,,delivered to the local store, no shipping costs to me ever. Never had an issue with returning anything, for any reason, they just take it back and make it right.
Boots are so hard to buy without 'try on the feet exposure',,I hate sending stuff back that I bought online,,PainInTheAss! but I don't mind at all, trying on every boot the store has to offer, and not buying any, if I don't find what I want..
happy boot buying,, good luck,.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,018
I'm interested in hearing about these. I've got MX boots and AS Scouts, but I want to replace the Scouts with [essentially] a gore-tex MX type boot, and these two look the closest. (Sidi need not apply- I have real wide feet.)
I'll be watching this thread.

(The Scouts are waterproof- not Gore-tex, and easy to walk around in, but I want something sturdier.)
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Gitana OP
A work in progress

I've been wearing them around the house to get them broken in. I like the fact that the toe is not super tall, which should make shifting easier. I wouldn't want to go hiking in them, but they are so much more comfy than my old SG12's. Wish I didn't have to wait until April to write up an actually riding review, but it's snowing in Nederland and I don't think I'm going to get any bike time in before that.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 189
I just ordered a pair from Atomic Moto. . They were highly recommended. I will report back after I have chance to wear them.

dhb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
interested in hearing about these!

I just learned about these yesterday while searching for boots built for people with large calves. So I'm happy to hear they fit your calves - must be all of the mountain hiking we do up here. The roads are almost clear, even on the north-facing slopes- maybe you'll be able to sneak in a ride before the weekend snows hit!

Now, do I skip FDGDs and run down to Performance Cycle? maybe! Hope they have another size 42 available!

What didn't you like about the Gaerne SG12? My search turned up the SG12s and the Crossfires as potential candidates, however they look like serious mx boots (and not so comfortable?)...
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
dhb400
No Regrets

I received my Toucan boots. They fit great . These are the best boots I have ever had. They are highly protective, really like an mx boot, but very easy to walk in. They are very comfortable. I highly recommend them.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
dhb400
No Regrets

Got out yesterday and put the new boots to a good test. Ran about 20 miles through tight woods and water puddles, sand and mud. Boots were great. My feet were well protected even with some some run ins with small trees .

Boots seemed to be waterproof as my feet were dry except for a little sweat, I over dressed for what turned out to be a warm day, and really worked up a sweat .

Go here for a nice review of the boots: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Alpinesta...ts_p_1062.html

So far I am happy with them.

dhb400 screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 05:08 AM
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 231
I've been considering these boots as well. The buckles were my biggest hold-up on actually buying them. They look like cheap buckles compared to the X-Deserts and Sidi Adventures.

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
dhb400
No Regrets

The buckles are pretty stout. The buckle itself is aluminum, very nice. The straps are plastic. They are a little finicky to use, but once you get acustomed to how they latch they are not too bad.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Alpinestars-Toucan-Gore-Tex-Boots_p_1062.html

dhb400 screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 05:08 AM
Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Gitana OP
A work in progress

Terra, the SG12's are a true motocross boot. I sold mine to a friend because they were just too heavy and stiff for my taste. I bought them because the Gaerne boot tends to fit my foot well. Live and learn.

The Toucans are a nice compromise between the Gaerne Natural Balance Oil and a stout motocross boot.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 04-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Wise Guy
Soitenly!

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbye View Post
I received my Toucan boots. They fit great .
@dbye: Thanks for the info, and ride review! Do you have wide, normal or narrow feet? Just trying to see if these would fit my wide dogs

@Gitana: How do you find the comfort in terms of width? I usually wear a EE or EEE width, and seem to have trouble finding a motorcycle boot at a local retailer that works.

Right now I'm leaning toward these four (based on some comments that they tend toward wide feet):

1. TCX X-Desert
2. Gaerne G-Midland
3. Alpinestars Toucan
4. Forma Adventure (looks to be least protective/most comfortable)

Anyone with thoughts on width comparison between any of these? Thx!
Wise Guy is offline   Reply With Quote