User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
metale OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Slow-ish lowside into rail

So, after 3200km it happened. This morning, after about one hour of riding, I came upon this stretch of road I know. The cbr had been feeling somewhat sensitive and twitchy, but I just tried to smooth the steering inputs.

I apologize right away for the lengthy description of events, it's all still very fresh and emotional.

This part of the road is on the forest, trees on both sides, mountain on the left side and ditch after the rail on the right side, series of left-right-left corners. On the second left turn, upon corner entry, the motorcycle starts to lean to make the turn and the rear tire instantly lets go and we fall. Without warning, just a fraction of a second and then pain.

Braking and gearshift were already done from the first left turn. I was steady on the throttle and can't recall doing anything to upset the bike. I don't know what happened, and that is bugging me the most. Tires's pressures had been checked before leaving the garage, tires have plenty thread, and that part of the road was shadowy/damp but no standing water. We (me and the bike) hit the ground and slide through the turn towards the guard-rail on the corner exit, ditch side.

Selected gear and typical rpms for that corner place the speed at 60 to 65km/h. I had no time to understand the fall, but plenty of time to be aware of the slide. I slide to the rail on my back/left side, head and chest first. Legs first! I somehow managed to rotate and go legs first to absorve the hit. When I'm about to crash into the rail, some motorcycle appears out of nowhere (!! On the previous seconds all I could think was the rail and forgot that my bike was sliding with me) and we impact all at the same time. Cbr hit the lower rail-guard wheels/suspension side first as I hit the tank and seat legs first.

FUUU, I crashed. Where am I? Gotta get out of the road. Hurts, especially the left shoulder and tigh (spl?). I put my weight on the left arm to get up, and feel a big snap as the arm goes into place at the shoulder. Got on my feet as 2 cars stop and help me to sit on the rail. The get the cbr up on it's side stand. It isn't going anywhere, gear pedal is jammed into the kickstand, can't select gears.

I called the tow truck, and he can't take the cbr to my place, as by insurance policy he has to take it to a shop. I have him take it to the local car shop, which is of course closed as it's Sunday. He leaves me with the bike, and while trying to select 2nd, it jams into a higher gear. WTH, I'll ride it like this to my garage. Checking rpms vs speed, great... It's on sixth. My gearing is long, and there is some hills and traffic on the way home A firm kick gets it into fifth, but no further. I manage to get the bike home, and went to the hospital later.

Nothing broken, no fractures, just bruises and pain. Zero abrasion (thanks Dainese), and helmet did't hit anywhere.
I've got a couple of pics to post later. Bike damage:
- Gearshift pedal
- Both left side blinkers (front crooked, rear torn off)
- left bar end (saved the fairings)

Overall an extremely positive day, as I got to get back home to hug my daughter and wife.
metale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 382
Glad you're okay....bikes can be replaced, hugging your wife and daughter can't be.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
V.rider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Glad you're ok. Very similar circumstances to my wreck I just posted. You did a better job of keeping your head off the road though. Good luck getting the bike squared away. It's amazing how fast it can happen, that traction stuff sure is important!
V.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
metale OP
Adventurer

Thanks, guys.

This is the end of the turn. We hit the railguard where you can see the revolved dirt, by the yellow sign.

Left side of the cbr:

Jacket's left elbow:

Old 11-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by metale View Post

This part of the road is on the forest, trees on both sides, mountain on the left side and ditch after the rail on the right side, series of left-right-left corners. On the second left turn, upon corner entry, the motorcycle starts to lean to make the turn and the rear tire instantly lets go and we fall. Without warning, just a fraction of a second and then pain.

Braking and gearshift were already done from the first left turn. I was steady on the throttle and can't recall doing anything to upset the bike. I don't know what happened, and that is bugging me the most. Tires's pressures had been checked before leaving the garage, tires have plenty thread, and that part of the road was shadowy/damp but no standing water. We (me and the bike) hit the ground and slide through the turn towards the guard-rail on the corner exit, ditch side.
I'm glad your ok! When the rear end lets go things can get much more ugly then that!

Can you clearly remember if you were adding throttle or if you were just keeping it steady? Adding throttle and lean angle at the same time is a recipe for the rear tire sliding out from under you with no warning what so ever. If you were just holding the throttle steady there had to be something else at work though.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
metale OP
Adventurer

Thanks. Keeping it steady, I'm sure of that. This was on corner entry, while starting to lean. Much sooner that the point where I would start adding throttle and picking the bike up.

I didn't accelerate, use any brakes, touch the clutch, nothing that I can think of that could upset the rear, other than... Lean into the corner. Also didn't shift my weight on the bike, had done that already between the 2 corners when the bike was briefly upright.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 716
Wow, that could have been a lot worse; I'm glad you made it out relatively unscathed!

This is definitely one of the more biker-friendly guardrail designs:

Quote:

This is the end of the turn. We hit the railguard where you can see the revolved dirt, by the yellow sign.

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
metale OP
Adventurer

poolman, you are right: many of them are of this type now. Older ones were just the top half, and had a nasty tendency to kill riders.

Also, the ditch behind it was a bit scary looking.

Word of advice, if I may: please, wear riding gear. Made a world of diference to me.

Edit: also guys, the damage on my gear was aparently only cosmetic. Should I make a priority to replace it? The armour on it is non-colapsable. The jacket elbow has those rips on the outer layer that you can see on the photos. The pants are a bit scuffed but held.

metale screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 12:06 PM
Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Argyle
lurking

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
...Adding throttle and lean angle at the same time is a recipe for the rear tire sliding out from under you with no warning what so ever.
without a doubt, happened to me in a rotary.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
poolman, you are right: many of them are of this type now. Older ones were just the top half, and had a nasty tendency to kill riders.

Also, the ditch behind it was a bit scary looking.

Word of advice, if I may: please, wear riding gear. Made a world of diference to me.

Edit: also guys, the damage on my gear was aparently only cosmetic. Should I make a priority to replace it? The armour on it is non-colapsable. The jacket elbow has those rips on the outer layer that you can see on the photos. The pants are a bit scuffed but held.
I have been down in my leather coat before. Took some leather balm to it (I would clean the leather on that white coat first) and it was good as new. Still wear it. Rather attached to it as I have had it for almost 20 years.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
metale OP
Adventurer

Thanks, guys.

No further updates, as I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the shift pedal

Managed to get it into neutral though.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
metale OP
Adventurer

I suggest that to everyone: get riding pants. The pants were as important as the jacket.

They are not the most confortable piece of clothes one can wear, but without mine I would probably have a broken knee, femur, and quite a bit of flesh missing from my left leg. It still hurts plenty as-is.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Good to hear youre ok! Gear can make a big difference..

Anything coming to mind of what caused it? I have had a few close calls with losing the rear but fortunately had room to use the front to straighten up and save it. I know my time is coming with the rear
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
metale OP
Adventurer

My best guess is something on the road, mixed with a damp road, caused the loss of grip.

IF that was it, it could have been for example tree resin (this road winds through a forest) or oil from a motor vehicle.

No time to react, on one second I was leaned to negotiate the turn, next thing I knew I was sliding on the ground. The fall itself was very quick and unnatural, like my rear wheel had been cliped.

Also, I don't understand why the front tire (a 90/80-17) held through whatever it went through with most of the weight over it (I think I was sitting quite foward) but the rear 110/80 didn't.

Imagine someone on roadside with a cable/string tied to the rear wheel, and giving it a quick BIG pull.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Over the front unloads the rear wheel

Being forward adds much weight to the front wheel while unloading the rear. In flat dirt riding schools they teach you to get way over the front but it does tend to unload the rear. It really is amazing how much traction you can get from a loaded front wheel.

I had my rear slide out while on a sharper slower corner. Front wheel was fine. Fortunately the rider behind me took video and later I could see I had just down shifted. Didn't remember changing anything but the video does not lie. I must have let the clutch out and then it broke loose. Perhaps similar happened to you (or not).
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote