Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
Replacing airbox with pods & effects on fuel efficiency

Does replacing a stock airbox with pod filters, and jetting the carbs appropriately have any effects on fuel consumption? The initial logic would go something like this:

1) I'm increasing the volume per second of air going to the engine.
2) I need to up the amount of fuel to maintain the ideal fuel/air mixture.
3) But, if I do this, will the bike be performing better (or atleast the same)? Will the performance increase in somewhat co-linear fashion as the fuel consumption rises. I.e. will it be reaching a supposed speed with less of a twist of a throttle to shift to the next gear. Therefore, reducing time spend accelerating. Therefore, for whatever reason being MORE efficient, since less RPMs are used to keep the bike going at a specific speed.

Is this how it works? Providing the jetting is spot on...

Or is it always the total opposite: you increase fuel incoming --- more fuel is being burned --- your fuel consumption has increased.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
On a lot of bikes the boot between the airbox and the carb mouth also functions as a velocity stack and has a bell mouth in the airbox.Carbs work better when the air has more speed to the flow.To do a thorough job of correcting jetting you would need either a wide band o2 sensor with gauge on the bike or a day or 2 of dyno time.The only bike I have personal experience with is a 1st gen yamaha fz1.I just put a jet kit in it and followed the instructions in the kit for modding the air box lid.Most of the guys that put pods on the fz1 lost hp and some low speed smoothness.You would probably get better results with opening up the air box lid and running a clean filter but even this might need some jetting correction-only dyno time will tell.Unless the bike was set up rich(unlikely) opening up the air intake will need more fuel-mostly at wot.The dyno usually gives you a a/f ratio graph with when you make a run.Only a dyno will tell you if you are correct.The butt dyno is never correct.

oldxr screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 12:37 AM Reason: spelling
oldxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,353
I put pod filters on my fz1 out of necessity due to subframe mods and I think it made it worse. Screams up top but messy down low. Id do stock personally. Plus pods suck to clean

And mine was a matched kit with new velocity stacks and jetting kit from ivans and I followed the instructions to a t.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:05 AM
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,606
the days in which you could greatly improve the peformance of your bike in your back yard ("Measure with te Rule, Mark with Chalk, Cut with a Torch") are pretty much over . . . . . your engine, as you know, is a system . . . . the airbox is likely boosting the performance you are getting out of that system, rather than throttling it . . . .

But, it IS possible that one, very specific facet of performance could be improved through such a modification (i.e., power at one, small RPM, range). Enjoy yourself!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,182
Changing the intake restriction (airbox removal, different filters) will dramatically alter jetting.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,214
The original question was abpout fuel economy right? I think you are correct in your assumption that if you rejet to the appropriate mixture for the new volume, your fuel consumption will go down.

However, as others have said, I think you probably would ose some level of efficiency so power loss "could" be an outcome as well. More gas, less power. Awesome!
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
indr OP

Oddometer: 1,197
Decided to stick with the stock airbox. I've been reading about CV carbs needing clean constant airflow. Something that is disrupted with pod filters, esp on a road bike going down the highway. And how small things like cross winds and knee placement can cause irregular throttle response.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by indr View Post
Decided to stick with the stock airbox. I've been reading about CV carbs needing clean constant airflow. Something that is disrupted with pod filters, esp on a road bike going down the highway. And how small things like cross winds and knee placement can cause irregular throttle response.
My FZ1 has that problem and it SUCKS!!! Highways make it worse any cross winds and the jetting goes right to shit. Back roads it doesn't do it, which is just fine by me

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
bikefreak47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
When I installed a Factory Pro con. 30 (two large oval BMC airfilters, needles, mains) my '97 Bandit 1200S would stumble every once in awhile depending on wind direction and speed. Rerouting the overflow lines up and out of the airflow eliminated all fueling issues in my case. In addition my mileage went up to 44 to 45 mpg from the Dyno-Junk Stage 1 40 mpg.
bikefreak47 is offline   Reply With Quote