User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
awaffa2003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
1979 Suzuki GS750L Build

Hey all, first inline 4 project on my hands here. Picked up a 79 GS750L the other day and I've already got a few things kicked off for it. Major plans include a newer front end and swingarm, but for now, I just need some seals. I started it for about ten minutes until i was it slowly dripping oil underneath. Couldnt tell were it was coming from and since I can't clean it...I think I may just go for a gasket set. Who has this and has it cheap? I saw some sets for $100 on fleabay but I thought I'd ask first ;)

Picked up a 97 Honda CBR frame yesterday for the swingarm and although I don't too much like the idea of swapping makes like that, the price was right. They guy threw in a new Penske shock, the rims, and a Suzuki tank that he was sitting on so I made out pretty good. Although the tank is period correct, it's HUGE on the 750 and I thought the original tank was big. I may just make it work though and pound in and fill some dents to allow for full lock of the triple tree. Anyway I think I'll need the Suzuki swingarm out to measure and see if the CBR one will fit because I can't get a measurement straight across...at least I couldn't in the cold...i'll have more patience once I fill up my propane tank.

I really can't call this a resto-mod because I'm really going for the look of the 750E or maybe even more Wes Cooley-esque, we'll see.

awaffa2003 screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 03:08 AM
awaffa2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
kruzuki
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
The 'L' models had a smaller gas tank than the standard model as well a different seat. The frames may even have been slightly different. I believe some of the 'L' model had different forks and wheel sizes vs the standard models.

I've always thought a bar-hopper job on a GS-L series bike would look cool.
Extend the forks a bit, chop off the rear, spoke wheels and those 4 exhaust pipes across the front.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 915
Thumb

Fit a newer Suzook front end - lots of Suzook front ends are interchangeable, unlike many others

I think older Slingshot GSXR & Bandit 600/1200 swingarms slot in too ?

I just picked up this 1977 project........

Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
awaffa2003 OP
Adventurer

That's beautiful man! I've been looking for newer GSXR parts but they are few and far in between in my neck of the woods. If it's being parted out, I would bet that it was the front end that took the hit and your fork tubes are bent so everything else gets separated and sold off. I feel like it's going to cost me to gather all I need to swap that front end out. Still no luck on a GASKET SET....anybody...
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
cheap bastard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
C'mon, H.. Post a pic or two of that cheap bad boy. Your phone pics are so small. I'll be over in the two days. Maybe the weather will help out and the trip can be on two wheels.
cheap bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
awaffa2003 OP
Adventurer

forgot how to post pics for a bit there!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Possibly some motivation: my 1979 GS750. Fantastic bike; I actually just got it back out after not riding for the last 4 weeks due to the bitter cold. Pardon my lack of ATGATT; I've since gotten more proper gear. Check out theGSresources.com; it's a great group with tons of information.

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote