User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,243
Personal diesel truck

Is this a stupid idea for someone who is somewhat financially conservative?

I want a fun, reliable, comfortable truck, and have about $20k I could comfortably spend. Is it worth getting a 5-10 year old diesel with 75-125k on the clock over a much newer gasser with <50k miles?

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but have no diesel experience. Admittedly, I don't need a diesel truck, I want one. I know which models to stay clear of, and have friends who are into diesel and know a bit. However, they are also much happier living paycheck to paycheck to finance their toys; something I plain refuse to do.

Dream truck would be a single cab longbed 4x4 cummins with 5 speed manual. Not looking to bro-doze anything, though I could see chipping it for fuel mileage and some extra power. I'm guessing lack of response means I'm an idiot for considering this.

Tallbastid screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 08:19 AM
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,108
Not a bad idea at all , especially given your research on it. I prefer diesels over gassers, although today at -24 I would've taken a gassers due to getting warmer faster

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,162
I would have bought this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LE-/221190815124?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I want a fun, reliable, comfortable truck.
fun - you have this covered with the manual transmission
reliable - you have this covered with the Cummins
comfortable - well this is the difficult part

Only you can decide what you will put up with. Whatever you look at, drive it some before you buy. The engine noise and rough suspension might change your mind. Newer models with pilot injection will be quieter. Also coil springs on the front ride nicer than leaf springs.

Current FI programming on manual transmission gas engine vehicles really sucks (no engine braking). A diesel has better driveability. Im curious to see if you can locate the combination you want.
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
>'Personal Diesel Truck' ?

If you are not going to haul or tow stuff, I'd get a gas rig and a couple more nice bikes. The Cummins diesel has such a short powerband you will be spending a lot of the time shifting gears.

But, if that's what you want...
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,518
I've done this twice now. It doesn't take long for the want factor to wear off and find its way to the more pain in the ass that is worth category.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I've done this twice now. It doesn't take long for the want factor to wear off and find its way to the more pain in the ass that is worth category.
I'll sorta agree with that. However, every time I got in my PSD that 'delicate thunder of a Powerstroke' made me [insert Tim Allen grunting here]

Only being able to go to certain fuel stations, having to run additives, the 3gal oil changes, etc all were a PITA but when I was pulling the ex-'s Camero () it was worth it. Thank doG I had a MC to ride 'cause despite the diesel's better fuel economy, 14mpg is lots worse than 40mpg

M
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,752
Sorry, my brain redirected to the 'smoke out' videos from youtube with tuned diesel trucks operated by douchebags.

What is 'fun' about a diesel pickup, if you have no real use for it's towing or hauling capability?
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,243
Neil E: Comfort will be an upgrade from my current Jeep Wrangler (in the flea market), as will road noise and rough suspension. I'm also not opposed to 2004.5+ Duramax with the allison or a 7.3 with a M/T. Thanks for your information!

Imaposer: This is one thing I'm worried about, and the reason why I'm not looking to really throw $ in it with modifications that I won't see back if I were to sell. Otherwise the only way I'd know if this would be an issue is to own one. If I can find a reliable, unmolested full size truck that will run down the highway at 25mpg and make me grin when I get on it, I'll be a happy guy for a long time. My biggest issue is I'm 6'8 and every bit of 275lbs... otherwise I'd be buying a Subaru.

Twilight zone: The most weight I'll have back there is a trailer full of sleds or my VFR800 with camping gear and a passenger. I've been looking at newer full size gas trucks, but they just don't have the fun/grin/simplicty factor like my Jeep has... still, they seem like they'd be a good choice if I HAD to buy a truck. One of the big things I love about diesel is I could run it forever provided I keep the rust off it, just as I imagine my 4.0L Jeep could do.

Grainbelt: For the record, I detest bro-dozer, nut wagging smoke bellowing diesels, which are usually owned by 20 year old dick bags with dad's money... which seems to be driving the prices of diesels up. I see diesel's as fun for the stock torque, interior space, longevity, and in the case of the 12v Cummins, the simplicity of the engine. Mine will not be lifted, piped, stacked, stickered, but it will be loves and maintained. I'd love to find a basic truck that will last as long as I want/need it. The newer gassers with all the new-age electrical crap worry me when it comes to true longevity. Did I mention my current (and beloved) ride is a Wrangler? With the lack of lust/love I have for newer gas trucks and the (unfortunate) lack of space in the beautiful '13 WRX I've test driven, seems my next best choice is to just keep the wrangler and buy another bike!

Gummee: Good points, and I know you get around on your pedal bike as do I... I also have a couple bikes for summer/MPG.

I guess this is really a therapy thread for an in-decisive gearhead who can't figure out his new ride for the life of him.

Tallbastid screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:47 AM
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
shiryas
Dragon with matches

Oddometer: 76
I bought a 97 F350 CCLB 7.3 as a towho and play truck for the whitewater raft trips and desert trips I do.

Money was a big factor for me. I liked some of the newer true crew cab platforms like the Tacoma and new F150 but this old truck was only $5k since it needed a transmission. I also knew I would prefer the diesel over the 460.

For what it gets used for its great. Hauling 4 people, 3 rafts, 2 kayaks, plus food and beverages for 21 days its great. As a heavy chase / tow for our Baja race its great.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-G...17707728319231

Its also not my primary vehicle. I am close enough to walk to work and I have a Subaru GT that pulls primary car duty. What others have said is true, I love the 5 speed but there is no way I would want one of these behemoths as a daily driver. It gets old fast when I have it in Denver traffic over a weekend.

I like the simplicity of the inline 6 a lot, but I wanted at least an extended cab and the 'OBS' Fords are plentiful around here. The F250 has a D50 TTB up front and I was trying to avoid that, so the crew cab was it.

Big trucks work great if you need them, but YMMV.

Cheers, Chris
shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I had a duramax as a daily driver/business vehicle for hauling my ass around. I rationalized it by looking to pile the miles on it and longevity. I sold it couple years ago and bought an fj because I was nervous about the injector$$$$.

Anyways I decided I wanted a truck again so I went looking at the new diesels. Drove a few and didn't miss the lumbering truck feel of a hd diesel.

I drove a tundra. That sealed the deal for me. Stupid fast when you want it, drives much much much nicer than my duramax. Much better turning radius, nicer interior, quieter etc. I'm so glad I went this way.

Plus don't kid yourself you'll be getting 25 mpg. Ain't happening I know ten people that will swear they do but I don't believe any of them. My dmax was the most fuel efficient year motor and I ran all the tunes. Best I realistically got was about 20 and that was milking it. Combined maybe 18. My tundra gets 16 and gas is a lot cheaper here than diesel.

Get one if you want to have a diesel, I love them too, but financially it's cheaper to own a gasser at the end of the day and it might be a better vehicle too like in my case

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,518
I got to really hate the warm up before you could drive away, and having to turn it off at every drive thru three times to get my food on the go. It got to the point I would just drive my work van for all my running around town stuff to avoid those situations. Once I sold my boat, there was no way I was going to keep a diesel around.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
7.3 IDI for reliability, or 7.3 PS for power! There is nothing else.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,393
Had two: 6.0 and new 6.7 Fords. Loved the towing power and they were great on the highway.

But, around town they were noisy, heavy, lumbering turds. Mileage was NOT that great (diesel owners lie about this big-time). Oil changes were awful, and their weight makes them chew up front tires fast. Plus fuel costs .80 more per gallon here. The cool factor wore off fast.

My two cents.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
But, around town they were noisy, heavy, lumbering turds. Mileage was NOT that great (diesel owners lie about this big-time). Oil changes were awful, and their weight makes them chew up front tires fast. Plus fuel costs .80 more per gallon here. The cool factor wore off fast.

My two cents.
I've known quite a few diesel myth believers/suckers that bought diesels for the same reasons as the OP here and before too long were very disappointed owners. They end up being more expensive to buy, maintain, and are a pain in the tush vehicle to use around town as daily drivers. The only one I know that didn't go back to a gasser is a guy who hauls his back hoe around all the time. Another bought a big $29K TH, then a $45k PU to pull it with, got tired of 8mpg, higher fuel prices, couldn't get to the good campsites anymore, now drives his suv with a hitch hauler and stays in Motels, whining about high payments and missing the good old days of camping. His "Dream TH" sits in a storage lot full of mice camping out in luxury...

Another diesel myth is their reliability. Just ain't true in our pickups.

Diesels are best for construction equipment, semis and those who pull very large loads, operating on a regular basis.

TooFast screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 03:32 PM
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: