Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #61
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
I would never admit that publicly and I know nobody would ever read what I post here but I agree completely. When I start my truck to move it out of the garage, it smells far better than the exhaust from the car. Hadn't even thought of that until I saw it here. Funny the things that make us remember.

Gotta agree with your last line but just because I'm here and it doesn't cost anything, I'll give you my take on it. Realistically I could get by with a small truck except for needing a gooseneck hitch on occasion. My son has a small truck. I don't like it. My crewcab is far more comfortable to drive and ride in and for the size of the truck, it rides pretty good. Mileage is okay and the power and sound of the Dmax with straight pipes makes me want to just go riding around some days just because I can. I'm not one of those people who delight in blowing smoke on anybody but I do like the sound of a good exhaust system. Bottom line is that I enjoy it. I've been in a lot of countries where the norm for vehicles is far different than what we as Americans are used to. I'll take my living to excess, oversized man toy any day.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I LOVE diesels, just not the trucks they are in here.....
Give me a Toyota Highlux with a diesel and I am a happy man, driving my brothers F350 on the otherhand? No thanks.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #62
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
I've had a '97 Dodge 4x4 with Cummins, manual transmission and 12' flat bed with regular cab for several years now. I have driven thousand of miles with various PSDs in several different Fords, and I think the Cummins is superior, but that Ford makes a better truck than Dodge.

The 12V Cummins is fairly simple and very reliable, but as pointed out they do have a narrow power band. The newer 24V Cummins is superior in a number of ways except for simplicity.

That said, unless you are diesel mech, you won't be working on the engine yourself, and even then (I used to be a prof. diesel mech) you won't be tearing injectors apart or anything like that - diesel fuel systems are mostly an R&R exercise (when they do need work) because the injectors/etc. are usually something that can only be serviced in a clean room as the tolerances inside them are measured in the millionths of an inch.

But most diesels don't need much servicing. Just change the oil and the filters and keep the fuel clean and they will run and run.

My rig sits in my shop right now. It starts and runs and drives, but fifth gear went out (common for the transmission; the nut holding it on backs off), there is something wrong such that the power the engine produces isn't right, and the steering is wonky (pulls to one side when driving, pulls to the other when braking and there is a lot of slop in between). So I have some work to do on it.

My intention is to fix it up and make it into an RV that will also load and haul my dirt bikes. My daily driver is a TOyota PU. The Dodge is just too big to drive as a daily driver when all I do is drive to/from the office. If I was a field mech or welder or something like that then it would be a great truck, but for now it just sits until I can save the money up to get it setup the way I want it and the time to use it (when I retire).

I suggest that anyone considering a full sized diesel truck go out and drive one like they want to buy. The size and power are quite different from what you might expect. I wouldn't have one just to have one - I got one because I wanted something that would do a good job hauling a camper and bikes.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #63
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Wrong. I love diesels, but I feel compelled to point out that between the higher cost of fuel and the premium one pays to get and maintain the diesel option it just doesn't pay off - unless you are regularly hauling lots of stuff like you are, or driving a ton of highway miles.

What pisses me off about diesel offerings in the U.S. in general is the manufacturers are ruining the Diesel's inherent, built in economy in favor of more power. While that might make sense for a truck, it makes no sense in a VW Jetta or a Chevrolet Cruze.
Good points. BTW, 'nother nice thing about diesels is that you've a few other fuel options. Maybe other's will chide in with experience w/waste vegtable oil ie. In my case, I have an endless supply of (free) waste Jet A available to me as I help my company dispose of this fuel.

My '90's era 6.5 L65 GM v8 retired VA DOT rig was designed as an economy not power motor - exactly what I was looking for. I love the simplicity and reliability of it.

The cost benefit in mechanical reliability, cheap ins premiums and fuel has been huge with this vehicle. Driving 400 mi used to be an $80 proposition in petrol. Now it just $10 in 2-stroke oil (for injector lube) and cetane additive per tank. My truck has been a win win for me in tough financial times in initial and daily operating expense.
06' 650 Vstrom

allonsye screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 01:23 PM
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #64
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,927
i still have Duramax trucks as vehicles in an all GM fleet. i've spent more on those Duramax trucks than all the rest of the vehicles combined. you better have a specific reason for owning a light diesel truck, otherwise forget it. for sure, i'd NEVER own one past the warranty period.

bottom line, the overall cost of ownership is a deal killer.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #65
1Gopokes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
diesel truck

Get a 2004-2006 dodge cummins ( early 2007 had no emissions)

I had a 2004 droved the crap out it for work. I felle asleep in it in 2010 and totaled it.
Work wasn't paying me milage any longer ( got a comapnay Car) so I dought a Dodge 2500 hemi ( gas mileage was terrible 13 if I was nice). I started looking for a diesel again about 6 months ago I found an 06 2500 4x4 with 60K on the clock for $22K ( basic model Quad cab, rubber fkloor mats, crank windows, 8' box, no computer) 19MPG, stock ( bigger exhaust by previous onwner.) Plan on a computer and air filter upgrade and 285 tires when needed

It is great, I will probably put 6-10K miles a year on ( with 2 hunting trips)
Drive CO car all week.

I am glad t o have made the switch back

Change the oiland fule filter
1Gopokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #66
xscoobysnack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I like to think my diesel paid for itself in a sense on one trip up the Alaska highway towing a 31' 7000 pound trailer and an 80 gallon tank in the back. While my buddy was stopping with his gas rig at every overpriced station, I would fill at every second one from the tank in the back. I've got an '02 7.3l that has been rock solid but it sure doesn't like cold starts without being plugged in. It is starting to rust though and I would like some of the features in the newer trucks but I just don't trust the newer diesel engines, the emissions stuff, and the reduced MPG. I'll try to keep the old girl as long as I can I guess.
xscoobysnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #67
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
I just put 22 gal ($85 USD) of Diesel into my F250, and 8 shots of Diesel Kleeen into each tank. The two tanks will last me 4 weeks @ close to 20mpg...
Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #68
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
I have an endless supply of (free) waste Jet A available to me as I help my company dispose of this fuel.
Really? There is a reason why we pay the road tax. This is just as bad as driving on farm diesel.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #69
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Really? There is a reason why we pay the road tax. This is just as bad as driving on farm diesel.
He's just offsetting the hundreds of gallons a year I used to buy for my boat. Funny how even with having to pay the road tax, it was still over a buck cheaper a gallon to pull it out and gas up at the gas station in town than to fill up at the marina. Come to think of it, the five gallon jugs I have at home for the tractor and other power tools shouldn't have to pay road tax either.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #70
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
nah. That stuff is dyed and could get you busted. If you had a free source of fuel, wouldn't you use it? How 'bout the guys who make their own bio fuel?
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #71
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
nah. That stuff is dyed and could get you busted. If you had a free source of fuel, wouldn't you use it? How 'bout the guys who make their own bio fuel?
How many busts and actual qualified inspection are there on dyed diesel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #72
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

Your question is the reason I used the word "could"
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #73
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

I have had my tanks dipped 5 times in 6 years. This is on my personal pickup, I don't have a comercial vehicle, nor do I work on a farm or ranch.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #74
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
It's a slippery slope, so to speak.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #75
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,599
they set up outside the stock yards once, caught lots including my friend. He never told what it cost, just said he will never do it again. For him to say that, had to have been a grand or more.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: