Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Pissed High Speed Breakers or Bumps

Greetings,

I have a 93 Honda Nighthawk 750, 14K miles, and was leaving school yesterday while they were repairing the parking lot. These guys, who none of them resembled engineers also made 2 speed bumps or breakers.

The first one I went over, no problem. The second one I approached that did not have any access in center or at the curbs, was very high. I slowed down to a 'trials' pace and climbed up it what seemed to be a short width 9"-12" height. I touched the brakes at the top to keep from falling over, and heard a 'crunch'!

When I looked at the pipes later, they were crunched well both sides (I weigh 270 lbs), and my acceleration seemed flat afterwards: it wouldn't wind out. Well this is $700 CA oem pipes if it is anything total. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences about these situations? There were car scrape marks on them after a few hours when I left and I am the ONLY motorcyclist at our school!

On Sunday's a Korean church uses our parking lot with about 150 each $30k-$40k nice 'low' new cars. This should be interesting for cheap makeshift speed bumps. However I do want to get at the head of the line for damages, for what good that will do.

** I really am afraid I'll build up backpressure running my pipes as they are and may ruin my engine with the exhaust not properly vented. My ground clearance is ONLY 5.5" and I haven't even got my center stand yet!!
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
If your scraped like that on a Nighthawk motorcycle, then a lot of cars are headed for some serious damage. I would take the bike to the shop as soon as possible. And I'd try to convince the school to get that bump/breaker fixed.

Disclaimer: I support slow speeds in parking lots, but sometimes work crews do not construct speed bumps/breakers properly.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,781
Call the construction company and complain. Maybe if they got enough other compaints you will get them to pay for some pipes for you. That is bullshit. If I saw bump that high, I probably would have dismounted and walked the bike over it. Idiots. I garauntee more vehicles will be damaged, some maybe seriously if you hit the pipes of your BIKE on that damn thing.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
If your scraped like that on a Nighthawk motorcycle, then a lot of cars are headed for some serious damage. I would take the bike to the shop as soon as possible. And I'd try to convince the school to get that bump/breaker fixed.

Disclaimer: I support slow speeds in parking lots, but sometimes work crews do not construct speed bumps/breakers properly.
I agree, and it always happens at the worst possible times. I need my wheels and my back up is a bicycle or feet which would work normally but not right now.

The school owners are very thrifty, as evidenced by the cheesy speed bumps. So my $600 to $800 pipe bill plus a rental car until they are ready will blow their mind, and just when grades are coming out Winter quarter too.

Safety first, but this one is a mindless implementation somewhere along the chain of command that offered no feasible alternatives (except for sloped boards which were not available). Insurance will likely be required because every one of those $39K new cars may have to have bodywork/paint on their bottom chassis edges, alignments, accidents from beached mini-cars, ...

The owners had a good vindictive hoot for one night, but after church gets out today, they are going to have a potential $50K to $100k of damages. Some cars may still be perched on top of the high speed breaker when I come back Monday to get my work done (immediately). I think I'll ride up on my bicycle today to see the fallout (church until late), and in fact think the church may have funded the parking lot improvements for right to use the parking lot on Sunday's.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
Greetings,

I have a 93 Honda Nighthawk 750, 14K miles, and was leaving school yesterday while they were repairing the parking lot. These guys, who none of them resembled engineers also made 2 speed bumps or breakers.

The first one I went over, no problem. The second one I approached that did not have any access in center or at the curbs, was very high. I slowed down to a 'trials' pace and climbed up it what seemed to be a short width 9"-12" height. I touched the brakes at the top to keep from falling over, and heard a 'crunch'!

When I looked at the pipes later, they were crunched well both sides (I weigh 270 lbs), and my acceleration seemed flat afterwards: it wouldn't wind out. Well this is $700 CA oem pipes if it is anything total. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences about these situations? There were car scrape marks on them after a few hours when I left and I am the ONLY motorcyclist at our school!

On Sunday's a Korean church uses our parking lot with about 150 each $30k-$40k nice 'low' new cars. This should be interesting for cheap makeshift speed bumps. However I do want to get at the head of the line for damages, for what good that will do.

** I really am afraid I'll build up backpressure running my pipes as they are and may ruin my engine with the exhaust not properly vented. My ground clearance is ONLY 5.5" and I haven't even got my center stand yet!!
I just often wheely over speed bumps. I tend not to scrape anything.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUsc-rj2V4
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Trade the nighthawk for a dualsport with suitable clearance to handle the obstacle.

Or complain to the owner/management of the location that ordered it installed and explain it has damaged your vehicle. Threaten to take them to court over damages. It should be easy to prove with some measurements. That is probably sufficient to get the speed bump altered.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
Trade the nighthawk for a dualsport with suitable clearance to handle the obstacle.

Or complain to the owner/management of the location that ordered it installed and explain it has damaged your vehicle. Threaten to take them to court over damages. It should be easy to prove with some measurements. That is probably sufficient to get the speed bump altered.
Right now, I'm more concerned with a rent a car and new CA oem pipes for my Night Hawk. They will have to modify the bump since all the small cars can't be making it over that hurdle-bump.

I've got a BMW F650 in storage in TX, but its the ST model and it may have trouble since it is only 0.6" more (6.1" vs 5.5") ground clearance. At first I thought I was stuck, but I leaned forward and it slide over. At least the F650 would not ground me by crunching my headers. But the NH is sweet for what it cost. A few enhancements with front/rear hd springs and new tires, and it will be wonderful. I haven't ridden off road since I was 15 yo: I'm way too big!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Go get yourself a picture with a measuring tape beside the bump, with something to indicate where the picture is being taken.

Not to be cynical about it, just safe, as sometimes folks make a quick fix of their mistakes and shrug about it when you bring it up.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
Put some new suspension on your bike!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Check the height and width of the speed bump and compare it to the Caltrans Standard plans(you can find them online). You may have a case for small claims court against the school and/or contractor. This may give you enough leverage to get them to settle with you.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
It seems to me there are three issues here - Firstly your technique: Braking compresses the forks and reduces the ground clearance so you might have contributed to the problem by when you applied the brake. You didn't say whether you stood up over the obstacle, how the suspension is set or if the bike has been lowered.

Secondly, the people who constructed the speed bump have clearly screwed up. If you want to pursue them for damages, you need to take photos and measurements, find out if they have any specifications for building speed bumps and, if so, whether they were followed. Legally, I don't know if they would be more or less to blame than the land-owner who paid to have the bumps put in so you have to decide who to go after.

Finally, you defintely need to get the exhaust pipes fixed although I doubt you'll "ruin the engine" if you take it easy and don't go to far until it's taken care of. Someone who knows what they are doing should be able to fix the dents by plugging the ends of the pipe (once removed from the bike) and applying heat to the damaged area as moderate compressed air pressure is applied to the header.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
when I see a speed bump, I never assume its safe to traverse, like any other obstacle in the road I make a judgement, one that anyone should be able to make if they are familiar with their bike

when designing roadways that require a structure to slow vehicles, I lean toward the speed dip, like a pothole, its slows traffic down, not so likely to have clearance problems and works better with drainage and snowplows

strangely with all the advantages of a speed dip over a hump, you rarely see them. I have to wonder that they are teaching civil engineers
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongrade View Post
Check the height and width of the speed bump and compare it to the Caltrans Standard plans(you can find them online). You may have a case for small claims court against the school and/or contractor. This may give you enough leverage to get them to settle with you.
That's perfect, although its typical of CA DMV documentation, thousands of pages not described in the index or appendix. I'm going to run to get pics of Mount St. Speed Bump now, and already have my middle 2 pipes dents photoed and even filmed to catch 3D of bump better (before I switched it to photo mode, but looks good anyway for a few seconds).

I hope I can get a favorable response, so I don't have to change schools for bs like this. Thanks Guys!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Well, I was first in line this morning, and even thudded my exhaust again for the President, without 70 lbs of PC and books. Everyone in the staff was complaining about it this morning, EVERYONE!

I went to a MC shop and they said until the exhaust makes noise, don't worry about it. I still feel a loss of power, but agree it has to be verified. If it comes up later, I've got pictures including their 15 minute rush job, and talked with the President himself. However, I may have to go through the cheesy company that 'threw' the bump up, and the guy assaulted me 3 times too: he was a work of art. Ultimately though, our school has blanket liability on what happens on their property due to their fixed road barriers. The Pres. was just putting pressure on the vendor, who is only a disorderly and incompetent agent.

All the people with the $40K Lexus's were all bitching, and just don't know how to look for damage. Oh well, and then you die.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!! I was scrambling.

rride screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 09:29 PM