Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #31
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Now I have to go buy a thong and a ski mask! And some eye wash solution to wash my eyes out.
Welcome to the dark side...

Actually, there is something to learn from that video - the fact that the only safety gear he is wearing is a pair of MX boots should tell you something about the importance of good boots . Seriously, no joke.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh321 View Post
a xt225 is lightweight?
it's all relative I guess.
It sure is, compared to a BMW F650 that I've seen people refer to as a light bike. Cuz they are comparing it to a 1200GS. People say a DRZ is a light bike when they are comparing it to the street bike they usually ride.

My wife rides an XT-225 and it's a small light bike compared to either my DRZ or 990 Adventure.

As usual around here, a noob is advised to get a small light cheap bike. And then somebody else comes on saying nothing less than they highest performance and lightest weight race bike will do. And when challenged on the expense and service intervals on said hi perf bike, they counter to get an old one that sells cheap because it's beat to hell, and they'll only need to work on it every weekend, after working on it several nights a week for months to get it ready to ride.....

Jeez let the guy get a CHEAP small and RELATIVELY light bike that he can ride back and forth on the street to get to the trails, and on which he'll only need to change the oil once a year. THEN after he learns to ride he can get a high performance race bike .
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #33
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
It sure is, compared to a BMW F650 that I've seen people refer to as a light bike. Cuz they are comparing it to a 1200GS. People say a DRZ is a light bike when they are comparing it to the street bike they usually ride.

My wife rides an XT-225 and it's a small light bike compared to either my DRZ or 990 Adventure.

As usual around here, a noob is advised to get a small light cheap bike. And then somebody else comes on saying nothing less than they highest performance and lightest weight race bike will do. And when challenged on the expense and service intervals on said hi perf bike, they counter to get an old one that sells cheap because it's beat to hell, and they'll only need to work on it every weekend, after working on it several nights a week for months to get it ready to ride.....

Jeez let the guy get a CHEAP small and RELATIVELY light bike that he can ride back and forth on the street to get to the trails, and on which he'll only need to change the oil once a year. THEN after he learns to ride he can get a high performance race bike .
Umm did we read the same thread? If somebody suggested a high performance race bike I missed it.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #34
bh321
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
Umm did we read the same thread? If somebody suggested a high performance race bike I missed it.
+1

crf230f is what I normally reccommend to dirt newbies.

smaller than a full size dirtbike, but not too small for the average adult.
21/18 wheels
electric start
super easy threaded tappet valve adjustments
cheap
reliable
and at 40lbs lighter than an XT225, most would consider it lightweight
bh321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #35
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
This guy has been riding bikes for 22 yrs and has no dirt bike riding friends? Why in the world would you seek advice from this insane asylum when you must know there will be no consensus? Why would you not just go out riding with guys who already know how and are willing to teach you?..... Hey that's the answer.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #36
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
This guy has been riding bikes for 22 yrs and has no dirt bike riding friends? Why in the world would you seek advice from this insane asylum when you must know there will be no consensus? Why would you not just go out riding with guys who already know how and are willing to teach you?..... Hey that's the answer.
Duh, because I don't know many people that have dirt bikes. Why not ask on a forum dedicated to dirt bikes?! Not like I asked for instructions on how to fix a toilet on a dirt bike forum.

I bought a dirt bike because I've been riding ATV's for a couple years and wanted to combine motorcycling with riding trails.
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #37
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,751
I'm not a plumber, but have replaced most parts on my own. What's wrong with your toilet?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #38
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 664
Been riding street since 73, now at about 300,000 total miles. 225,000+ on BMWs. Been teaching MSF since 93. But back in 05 I also went back to dirt riding to improve my bike skills, especially when handling traction issues.

Its made me a better rider overall. I now have a 04 Suzuki DR400E trail bike, and I am getting more comfortable sliding it all the time. Next, at 55 years old, I gotta get better at wheelies and jumps (smaller ones at least). Sliding techniques help though. I demo'd a BMW R1200GS few years back. Broke the back tire loose on a 90 degree country turn in 2nd gear. Just kept the power on and enjoyed a lurid power slide out the corner. Felt like King Kenny for those few seconds.

I've also taken up recreational ice-racing on a modified GN400. You learn traction control and being loose on the bike in a hurry doing that.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #39
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
If you are going to learn to ride on dirt, off pavement, trails, don't spend a lot on that first bike - and don't give it a cool name. Buy something that looks like sin, but has all the protective gear on it. You will crash. Sometimes because you got in over your abilities, other times for no good reason what so ever. Don't get a race bike, just high maintenance and you won't know how to use it anyway. Learn a bit, figure out what you want to ride so far as trails and such, then go buy a bike that will get you where you want to go, in the style you want to be taken. Top thing to do when you take up dirt riding, don't buy poor quality protective gear. Yes take the class, learn well, but then it's about the miles and time. What ever size you are, for that first bike, try to find one that fits properly, runs well, and has the suspension fully functional. Work on it a lot - this requires as much training as learning to ride it. It won't take all that long, and you will be a dirt rider.