User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Hesitation, a little sputtering on an 06' Tiger, help

I have an 06' Tiger that just recently started hesitating when starting from 1st gear, kind of sputters through the rest, it's not bad, but slightly noticable. I notice a lot of backfiring from the exhaust note as well. I have 20,000 miles on it, recently took it off road, where it was kind of dusty, but I cleaned it fairly well. The air filter looked clean. I also took off the tank and found a little fuel seepage from the airbox...

Are the following possible, before I take it to my Triumph dealer (Freedom Powersports of Acworth):

1. Could it be a bad O2 sensor?
2. Could it be a clogged or bad injector?
3. Could the throttle bodies be out of sync?

If there is someone out there that has another possible idea, please post, before I go and spend trip money on something I might be able to fix...
I appreciate the help,
Scott
Atlanta Tiger
TIGERRIDER007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Spode
Malcontent

Oddometer: 5,511
Based on reading tigertriple.com, 90% of these kinds of issues with the 955i motors are related to a bad/misadjusted throttle position sensor (TPS).

Although it might just need to have the computer reset. You can do this with the "12 minute tune" and reset all the fuel trim parameters. And it's free.

12 Minute Tune:

1. Start the motor from cold without touching the throttle.
2. Let it idle until the fan turns on.
3. Let it idle for a further 12 minutes.
4. Switch it off, job done.

http://www.triumphrat.net/the-rocket...nute-tune.html

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7620
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

I'll try that

I'll try that and see how it works, somebody also mentioned maybe getting the newest tune.

I'll also check those websites out and do a little research, thanks for those.

I appreciate the help, I bet it's damn hot in Texas right now. I used to live in the Woodlands, outside of Houston, in my younger years. Take care and ride safe, I may update the thread as soon as I try this 12 minute tune approach.

Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,112
You might also consider the fuel filter. I recall reading somewhere that BMW uses the same filter, for $40 less.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Alright

I'm going to try Spode's plan today, then see what happens.
Upon further research, that above link that mentions the throttle position sensor, if the 12 minute plan fails, I guess I may have to order one (haven't checked out any pricing yet), let's hope 12 minutes is helpful.
It would be nice to have it running smoothly again.
Here we go...thanks again for the assistance. I'll also check on the fuel filter.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
When I had my '06, had an issue with getting up to speed, THEN it would begin cutting out. This began at steady 60mph with two quick engine blips, kinda perked me up, hmm what was that? Began getting worse the following week, until it almost left me on road. Seemed to happen more at increasing and/or steady speeds. TPS reset at dealer immediately solved it.
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

It's a little better

Thanks Spode, it seemed to have worked!

mnormand, I remember reading your posts about this. This was going to be my next step, when it's time for my 24000 mile service, I'll have them check the TRS and fuel filter. If it remains a situation, but right now, it's good..

The bike is running more smoothly, or at least without a noticable hesitation from the start, after riding it home this afternoon. I did what spode, in the above post, suggested, and it may have worked. I wonder if this is for good, or temporary. Only time will time.

Do you know how much a TRS costs by chance?
Thanks,
Old 06-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
FrostedFlake
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Oddometer: 224
TPS for an '06 only cost me $60 at the dealer. Not bad, considering what some other OEM parts cost.

FrostedFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks

I'll see what they, local dealer, want for an installed TPS, I appreciate all the intel.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
Spode
Malcontent

Glad the 12 minute tune seemed to help, but yeah, might want to look into replacing the TPS if it doesn't help long-term.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #11
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

So far so good...

It's running great, we had a RAT pack meeting yesterday and went for a ride, felt good, now it's almost time for new tires, always something!
Thanks again for that tip, I told my parts guy at the Triumph dealer about the fix and he was blown away, he thought it was cool that the engine could run for away and reset the computer.
My take is, I may be wrong, it has something to do with re-mapping itself, is this correct?

Would it help if I asked them about the newest tune for a 955? Do they even have these anymore?

Appreciate it,
Scott
Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
Spode
Malcontent

Yeah, from what I understand, what the 12 minute tune does is reset everything to "normal". Over time, as you ride, the computer continuously makes changes and updates to the fuel/timing curve based on fuel octane, temperature, barometric pressure, bleh blah blah. After a while, it can be fairly "off" from the normal curves. The 12 min tune just resets everything so the computer can start learning and tweaking the curve again.

Yes, your dealer can reinstall the current tune program at any time. I have the "offroad" tune on my '06 since I run the staintune exhaust with offroad baffle.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

That's cool

I wonder if that "off road" tune would improve the performance since I use a Two Brothers exhaust can. I guess I could try it or at least ask them to see what they would say...
I'll pass this along to my Tiger buddies, I assume this works for most Tigers with computers...
Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Spode
Malcontent

Oh yeah, if you're running an aftermarket pipe, you need to have the TOR (triumph off road) tune installed!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,566
just in case it ain't entirely clear -- TPS units can be reset -- replacing one that you think may be going south is fuine, but the NEW one will have to be, wait for it, set, as well.

I'd suggest trying a reset first, before spending any filthy lucre.

But that's just me.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote