Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I would like to see real vents on legs and chest with waterproof zippers.
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I read this sentiment fairly often . . . . . and, am curious . . . . when you say you were wishing for more, what is it you were wishing to see?
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Aerostich. I think they make great gear and they're clearly a successful American Co. I like to support (the catalog anymore). That said, I don't own any of their gear anymore. I find 500d cordura the absolute bare minimum in protection, i find the suits hot and clunky. They were great in their day, but its time to move on. RE-hashing a roadcrafter just seems so easy for them to do. I'd like to see them do a textile suit ala the Transit. I'm not a leather guy, but to me that's pretty awesome, out of the box thinking. 5 different versions of a roadcrafter? Seems like resting on your laurels. I just think they can do better is all.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Well, I wouldn't mind some real functional ventilation. The back zipper is okay, but the armpit vents don't do anything unless you adopt an Ape Hanger pose in order to get your pits in the wind.
Ventilation would be great, but they'd have to sacrifice waterproofing even more.

If they found a good way that didn't compromise water resistance and or increase costs that would be great, but doesn't seem too likely.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Ventilation would be great, but they'd have to sacrifice waterproofing even more.

If they found a good way that didn't compromise water resistance and or increase costs that would be great, but doesn't seem too likely.
If my $75 Tourmaster jacket can remain waterproof by zipping up the [semi] waterproof zippers and velcro flaps over them then Aerostich can do the same on a $600 jacket or a $1000 suit.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
I'm actually considering a return to roadcrafter.

I had a roadcrafter but it was too bulky and not cut to fit me on a sport bike. I bought the suit used and it had the old zipper that gave me wet crotch.

switched to an infinity suit which fit very well but had horrible pocket placement and it leaked at the upper arms/shoulders. got a replacement under warranty and a year later I got wet again.

bought an olympia phantom. a bit difficult to get in. but it didn't leak at all. then I went down @ 25mph. good protection but I had holes in the leg where the suit was between my boot and road surface. this was accpetable but the shoulder stiching came apart with a bit of light abrasion.

so I'm shopping again for a one piece. if I can get a RC light with the alterations I need I would probably get one. knowing they will be able to repair/update in the future. I commute in my one piece about 8 months a year (not summer/early fall).
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #21
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
If my $75 Tourmaster jacket can remain waterproof by zipping up the [semi] waterproof zippers and velcro flaps over them then Aerostich can do the same on a $600 jacket or a $1000 suit.
No, it can't. Maybe you have a fairing, but ride for 2+ hours in a heavy downpour and those zippers will leak. Everything does, sooner or later, and for a WP suit that is also protective without WP liners, it is really, really hard to top the RC.

It doesn't take much water to make your whole arm or chest wet, and in 40 degree weather like we have now that's a major problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I'm actually considering a return to roadcrafter.

I had a roadcrafter but it was too bulky and not cut to fit me on a sport bike. I bought the suit used and it had the old zipper that gave me wet crotch.

so I'm shopping again for a one piece. if I can get a RC light with the alterations I need I would probably get one. knowing they will be able to repair/update in the future. I commute in my one piece about 8 months a year (not summer/early fall).

I've been through some crazy stuff with my one piece with the RiRi zipper, and its been fine so far. I hear the fabric becomes less WP over time, but I haven't seen it yet, except for a couple spots where the DWR doesn't work quite like it did new. (that is, water doesn't bead, but still stays outside the goretex).

Aerostich will know for sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say you probably need to go to the two piece light (or: the RC city) for alterations.

ph0rk screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 03:29 PM
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #22
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
No, it can't. Maybe you have a fairing, but ride for 2+ hours in a heavy downpour and those zippers will leak. Everything does, sooner or later, and for a WP suit that is also protective without WP liners, it is really, really hard to top the RC.
If it was possible i would swear the Goretex in my Roadcrafter was installed backwards. Water gets in without a problem, but once it's in it stays and I get slowly steamed. I drove through 1 hour of heavy rain in Georgia and was still wet 12 hours later when I got to Homestead FL.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #23
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
If it was possible i would swear the Goretex in my Roadcrafter was installed backwards. Water gets in without a problem, but once it's in it stays and I get slowly steamed. I drove through 1 hour of heavy rain in Georgia and was still wet 12 hours later when I got to Homestead FL.
Yeah, that's just how goretex "works", if it has a leak - doesn't take much of a leak at all, either.

Theoretically you'd eventually evaporate the water away with your body heat, but the leak keeps letting more in.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #24
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:

It doesn't take much water to make your whole arm or chest wet, and in 40 degree weather like we have now that's a major problem.
Was that you following me on the 3 back to back SS1000 rides from NY to Los Angeles or vice versa a couple weeks later?

The 800 or so miles between Chicago and NYC was pouring nonstop so I couldn't see too well in my mirrors. Sorry if I didn't waive.

Yes, I had a fairing on those two trips. But I don't on my FZ or my old Hawk or my old Monster or my Armstrong\Harley or my old cruiser.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #25
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
The beauty of the stich is that it is one suit that does it all. Adding so many variations just serves to confuse that message. Do I need the regular stich or the lightweight? Or maybe the Ultralightweight? Or the City? Or the Tactical?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...how can more choices possibly be a BAD thing?
I can see this. I spent weeks (months?!) hemming and hawing over which is right for me. 1 or 2-piece? Regular, light, or ultra-light? Or maybe one of the Darien bits? Which pads? What options?

Now, what size?!?

It is intimidating. Add that I can't go to the store and physically touch any of it and it complicates things even further.

That said, no two buyers are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
If my $75 Tourmaster jacket can remain waterproof...
Which Tourmaster jacket is this, specifically?

I have some Tourmaster and Cortech gear. For the money, I like it. I bought most of it on closeouts and sales, which sweetens the deal even more. (Although I don't remember any single piece costing less than $100, 'cept the gloves.)

But it has always been a compromise. None of it is actually waterproof. And even to get it close you have to fumble with zip in/out liners. Plus he fit is a compromise as well. If you fit their stuff off the shelf, you are golden. Unfortunately I do not. And none of it is designed to be altered.

I just ordered a brand new RC 'classic' 2-piece. The fit/sample suit arrives tomorrow. I can't wait.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #26
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

My question is this: WTF is the 'Supernyl' in the city?!? And why would I want it?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #27
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I had a RC 2 piece that loved to let water in my crotch within minutes of a sprinkle and leave me with a wet pooper for the entire ride. Shortest ride I noticed this was in a 10 minute sprinkle. In hour+ long rides I would have to stand up on the pegs and let the water drain into my waterproof boots. Cold wet feet were better than cold wet crotch/butt.

I stopped wearing the RC and opted for my summer mesh gear with an Outdoor Research gore-tex paclite jacket and 15 year old Marmot gore-tex pants over the gear. I wore this combination from Savannah GA to Rochester NY (~950 miles) on my Street Triple with nary a leak, and it rained every single mile for that 13 hours. If OR can get it right on a $200 shell with YKK waterproof zippers on the front, pit zips and chest pocket mesh vents, why can't Aerostich?

I loved the way the RC suit fit and the quality was top notch. Just fix the damn zippers!
riceaterslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #28
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceaterslc View Post
Just fix the damn zippers!
Did yours have the 'new' zippers?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #29
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Did yours have the 'new' zippers?
not sure, it was a standard 2 piece RC purchased in NOV or DEC of '10...
riceaterslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #30
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 866
I gotta chime in.....

....I own two One-Piece Roadcrafters. The original version.

I have one that is custom tailored for me, bought new, and fits me tightly, with zero extra fabric flapping in the breeze.

I wear this one on my Ducati Monster and on my Honda RC51.

The second one I bought used from an inmate here, in Hi-Viz, and I just sent it off to Aerostich and had them install the full length under arm gusset, install the heated gear pass-through port, and launder it with their water repellant wash.

I have followed their directions and seam sealed all the stitching with their Seam Grip product.

I wear the Hi-Viz with my full Gerbings heated kit on my V-Strom.

So, I have one winter and one summer suit.

I live in Louisiana.

It rains here ALL THE TIME.

It's hot here 90% of the time.

It's humid here ALL THE TIME.

My suits have NEVER leaked.

In the summer, you tuck your gloves inside your sleeves, open the vents, and zip the collar open, and you are fine in 100 degree weather as long as you are moving.

I have to believe that all the people who post on this forum have never taken the time to seam seal the stitching on their Roadcrafters. Aerostich is very specific in their instructions that this is necessary if you want total water proofness on a naked bike in heavy rain.

Additionally, I gotta believe that these same people have never used the wash-in water repellant or sprayed their suits with water repellant like Scotch Guard. It is necessary for maximum effectiveness of the water proofing.

Again, all of this info is clearly spelled out in the instructions you get with the suit.

I am confident that all of the negative posts about the 'stich suits are from folks who don't take the time to read and follow the instructions.

As far as the venting goes, it depends on your bike, windshield, riding position, etc., but you can get MASSIVE air flow through the sleeves and arm pit vents and out the back vent.

On an adventure bike like my V-Strom, if I just put my left hand on me left hip, i can force a huge amount of air through my back and out the suit and cool off while on a long highway stretch.

If you just raise your wrists a bit on the grips, you can force huge amounts of air up your sleeves and through your arm pits and out the back.

The beuaty of the 'stich, is that you can put it on and take it off in 10 seconds, don't have to stop for the weather, and can just put it on over a business suit, ride cross country through all kinds of weather, hop off your bike and unzip and be in a business meeting fresh and ready to get that promotion from your killer presentation like you arrived in a limo.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote